Please tell me about the Tauck duffel bags

Hi,

We're Canadian so we won't get our Tauck duffel/travel bags until we arrive and they are given to us.

Can anyone tell me more about them so I can decide what luggage to bring from home.

What are their dimensions, are they soft/rigid, heavy/light material, how small do they fold up?
Do we get to keep them or are they to be returned?

I need to decide whether to bring my 70L back packing pack or a full size suitcase.
If we keep/travel with them and I'm facing a 1 checked bag limit then I want to know if it will
fit in my pack or I need to bring a larger suitcase. If they're the size of a hockey equipment
bag then my pack will fit in it.

Thanks eh,
Darren

Comments

• edited September 2016
    According to a 2013 post:

The Tauck duffel bag is the " . . . . Eagle Creek "No Matter What" duffel, size Medium. Dimensions are 24 x 12 x 11 inches (3600 cu in)."

I can't find ours at the moment to verify the style and dimensions, but the picture and description below look and sound like our Tauck duffels.

From Eagle Creek:

1272_olive_l.jpg?w=160

• Dimensions: 24" x 12" x 11" Weight: 1 lb 14 oz

• Abrasion-resistant, water repellent, Bi-Tech™ fabric with protective storm flap shields gear from the rough and tough, rain or shine.

• Strategic seam reinforcement in high-stress areas, hearty webbing, and high strength to weight ratio heavy-duty Bi-Tech™ fabric

• Roll and stash in stuff pouch for a compressed storage option; stuff sac also doubles as smart place to stash your muddy shoes or gear.

• Padded adjustable (and removable) shoulder strap for hauling gear over your shoulder (23" shoulder drop,) with non-slip center haul handle, and side grab handles, to get your cargo from here to there.

• #10 lockable zippers on main compartment so you can lock your bag should you choose to check or stash it

• Front zippered pocket for quick stash items

• External compression straps stabilize internal cargo

• Back slip panel secures your duffel to the top of your wheeled carry-on, assisting you with a much-easier transport

To answer your questions:

○ Soft, medium weight material, can be folded up into a fairly small pouch which is provided.

○ You get to keep them

○ Though some folks have used a duffel only, I would bring a full size suitcase and put the duffel inside until it is time to use it. When we fly we only carry a tote and a man-purse and check everything else. We like the protection provided to the contents by a regular suitcase. That being said, my wife and I shared 1 duffel instead of using both on K&T- there was plenty of room for the clothes we would need during the two designated periods- 3 days/2 nights in the Serengeti and 4 days/3 nights in the Masai Mara.
  • We travelled with only the two duffels and a roll aboard. We split our important clothes between the two duffels, checked one duffel with the 'liquids', and took the other duffel and the roll aboard (now a cart) aboard the plane. After re packing upon arrival, we rarely touched the stuff in the roll aboard, and did not miss it during our duffel only period. The Eagle Creek medium duffel holds quite a lot. We had already owned two from a previous Galapagos trip ... now we own six. Yes, you get to keep the duffel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file