Options

Going to travel at the time of pregnancy

Next month I am going to Germany with my husband. I am 22 weeks pregnant. I think in this situation insurance is must. What would be best for me travel insurance or health insurance? I am not sure does German government provide health insurance for traveler? I am not sure what I have to do? Please someone help me.

Comments

• Options
    This is not really an answer … except to say that if you don't pay tax in Germany, I doubt the German health system would cover you. You need to contact an insurance company that will give you health and general travel insurance in a combined package. Start with online queries looking at insurance companies, credit card suppliers and banks. Wherever in the world you come from … that's a good place to start.
  • Options
    I have always taken the travel insurance that Tauck offers through a company called Allianz. When I have not traveled with Tauck, I have also purchased this insurance directly. There is a medical component to it, however I am not sure what it would cover in your situation. Check with them to determine coverage for pregnancy.
  • Options
    Travel insurance companies I have dealt with (including Tauck's) waive the exclusion for "pre-existing" conditions providing the premium was paid within a few days of booking. I believe that with Tauck, you have to pay for the plan within 10 days of booking. Check with your TA, or call Tack directly.

I found the plan brochure and additional information online at -
    http://www.tauck.com/~/media/Files/Travel Protection PDFs/TWD_GuestDOC2010_secured.pdf
  • Options
    Rabo is correct. Tauck's insurance coverage is the best I've seen, and we have to pay attention to this issue because of my wife's "pre-existing" condition. We also talked to our local health insurance company and found that they will reimburse us for any expenses according to standard deductibles, but we'd have to pay upfront and submit the bills upon return. Not all plans allow for this, so call your health plan to learn their policy, making sure you get it in writing.
  • Options
    Totally agree both that Tauck's insurance is the best and also to check with your insurance company and especially to get their answer in writing. My husband had to have medical attention when we were on the Israel and Jordan trip. At that time our medical insurance was an excellent corporate plan through Aetna. They did not cover the bill. We had to submit the bill to them as our primary insurance company -- have them deny it -- and then send the denial and other paperwork to the insurance we purchased through Tauck. They paid the bill in its entirety.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I also got some information about health insurance in Germany. One of my German Facebook friend recommended me to visit http://www.covomo.com/health-insurance-tourists-info/ . I got some information from this site. It is saying that i can get health insurance under one condition, I have to provide my European Healthcare Insurance card. So as a citizen of EU, I think i will get health insurance easily.
  • Options
    That's interesting, Tiffany. Thanks for posting the update. Have a great trip and very safe travels to all of you!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I am pregnant and found this really handy article http://www.comparetravelinsurance.co.nz/guides/pregnancy-travel-insurance-guide explaining which travel insurers in New Zealand cover pregnancy. Hope it helps you too!
  • Options
    Everything depends for way that you travel? (and of course of money :)