Options

2017 Blue Danube Westbound --- July 6-17 --- MS Savor

Wondering if anyone has experience with this trip at this time of year? Family trip for us consisting of three generations - all physically capable. Any and all tips about sites, side trips, weather, even staff would be helpful. Bonus would be insider secrets to being treated as an insider aboard the boat.

Thanks in advance,

WillShep

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by insider tips. Tauck river cruises aren't like ocean cruises or even some of the other river cruise providers. All passengers are treated the same. The only different may be amenities provided in your stateroom - like Cat 7 suites get breakfast room service, some rooms may have a coffee maker, etc. Other than that everyone has the exact same food, drinks, tours, ship board amenities, staff, etc.

Sometimes you might be asked to sign up for something ahead of time. Example, if two tours are offered at the same time, the TD may ask you to tell them which you want the day before just so they provide enough local guides, buses if needed, etc. but everyone will have the same opportunity. Most days tour group sizes are handled using their poker chip system. Each morning 3-4 baskets of colored chips are put out in the lounge or reception area. Each person needs a chip to go on the tour. Once a basket is empty that group is full. For a group traveling together, we've found is easiest to either detail someone to pull enough of the same colored chips for everyone in the group or just decide ahead what color you want. This system keeps the group sizes balanced.

The biggest tip I can offer is to read everything under the Before You Go tab for your cruise and read thru lots of the older posts of this forum for you cruise and others. Alot of the routine is the same regardless of you itinerary.

Also I'd recommend reading the Editorial Reviews on cruisereport.com. They have taken 4 Tauck river cruises (Danube in 2009) and written detailed reviews. I found them to be the most helpful in preparing for our first cruise. Note though that some things have changed since they first started taking Tauck cruises (all inclusive liquor, the newer ships) but still pretty helpful info.

If you've done all this reading and still have concerns, come back here and ask specific questions. The forum participants are pretty helpful.
  • Options
    Thank you Claudia. I guess I am looking for a way to become friendly with the crew so that they recognize the great deal of respect I have for all that they do and in return that perhaps I receive the occasional tip as to what choice might be the best for today. I really appreciate the hard work this takes on their behalf and I am hoping that does not go unnoticed.
  • Options
    Getting to know the crew isn't hard. There is only about 30 Scylla crew members plus the 3 Tauck tour guides and the cruise director. One of the advantages of a river ship vs ocean going. You'll have the same group at the reception desk, the same bar tenders, wait staff, etc. You'll also have the same room attendant (who also doubles as wait staff for happy hour - lol). They will go out of their way to make your cruise wonderful. If you have requests or questions, ask. They'll often go out of their way to help. I have several instances where they did so from fetching me the yogurt I wanted to walking the length of the ship to bring me a cocktail.

The Tauck TD and CDs are great. They are knowledgeable, friendly and happy to help. Again, just go talk to them.

At the end of the cruise you'll be given evaluation forms. If you want to recognize them be sure to mention them by name in your write-up. Our first cruise went by in such a happy daze that I didn't pay enough attention to names. I've learned my lesson.

We've taken 2 Tauck river cruises and are booked for a third this summer. I can't wait because I know we'll have a great time and be taken care of from the moment we leave the airport.

Enjoy
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Outstanding and thank you for your insights. Please feel free to chime in at any time as we continue to plan for the coming adventure. Your opinion is valued.
  • Options
    The main difference between ocean cruises and some other river cruise companies and Tauck river cruises is that all excursions are included, I think that is why you may be confused willshop. Everyone is treated equally with Tauck. They have eliminated favoritism by having systems like seat assignment on buses. So no amount of sucking up to staff and tour directors should make any difference, after all, we all pay the same and expect the same treatment. Well, I do anyway.
  • Options
    WillShep. We cruised on the MS Joy in June 2016 and the trip was fantastic in every sense. It's so easy to get to know the crew and they are more than willing to help with ideas. There are several days where you have options, so the best thing to do its some pre-trip research and see what fits with your interests. You will also have some free time to explore on your own so compare where Tauck takes you with other highlights of the area. We stayed two extra days in Prague and Budapest which gave us the opportunity to really explore two fantastic cities. For the evenings where you get to dine away from the ship, do some research on the restaurant scene. We booked several in advance and were glad that we did as they were fully booked before we even started the trip. This was our third trip with Tauck and we have three more Tauck trips booked over the next 14 months.
  • Options
    would you mind sharing your restaurant suggestions? thanks so much. Also did you do any private touring in Budapest?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Prague:
    Brewpub called Lokal Dlouhaa. More of a local crowd. Sausages and beer.
    Terasa U Zlate Studne (10 minute taxi). Wonderful food and spectacular views of the city.

Budapest:
    Pesti Diszno Bistrot (close to Opera).
    Borkanyaha WineKitchen (close to Basilica of St. Stephen).

We explored both cities on our own.

In Prague we bought a one day metro pass, went up the funicular to the park and took the elevator to the top of their mini-Eiffel Tower. Also did a 1 hour cruise on the Vltava river with great views of Charles Bridge and the Castle. Heard a nice concert at the Klementinum.

In Budapest we explored the city on foot and attended a concert at the Basilica of St. Stephen.
  • Options
    REALLY awesome feedback from everyone so far --- Keep it coming! All are welcome. The more We can know before we go the better the trip should be so don't be shy :)
  • Options
    WilLShep: I 'savor'ed' 2 Tauck European cruises in 2016 and am scheduled for a third in a few months. They were both fabulous and I am trying to decide which ones are going to be 4th, 5th and so on. I am also a veteran of another river cruise line of many years ago of a different provider. I have also sailed 10+ times on Caribbean and ocean cruises.

No worries: the Tauck and Scylla crew treat each person as a VIP. From the bar staff in the lounge who remembers your drink order; to the wait staff and the night guard, it is such a professional staff. I like to research the towns/cities we visit so I did have questions about sites at various stops. The superb/professional staff of Tauck directors always had reliably great advice. Just be clear on what interests you. They want you to have a memorable/great trip and they work extremely hard to assure that.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your family! Enjoy.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Well I must say all of this information has been very helpful so far. I am hoping that perhaps others booked on this same cruise might chime in eventually. My thanks again to those who have already helped to illuminate the way.
  • Options
    We arrived in Budapest early and took a 2-hour private tuk tuk tour, which was a great overview. It's called Budapest City Tour in a Tuk Tuk and you can find it on TripAdvisor. The driver's English was very good and his itinerary was flexible in case you have any special requests.

Like AshvEd, we booked restaurants ahead of time for the free evenings in Budapest and Prague. These 2 were fabulous (check them out on TripAdvisor):

Budapest:
    Zeller Bistro
    Izabella utca 36-38 | 1077, Budapest 1077, Hungary
    Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
    Phone Number: 30 651 0880

Prague:
    Restaurant Pod Věží
    58/2 Mostecka Street, Prague 1, 118 00
    +420 257 532 041

• Options
    thank you, I will check these restaurants out and make reservations as well
    I have booked private Jewish Heritage tours for before and after
  • Options
    Does anyone have packing tips? WHat to be sure to bring as well as what NOT to bring? Also, any specific suitcase recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    Willshep, if you look on the webpage for your tour, there is luggage and packing guidance in the Before You Go tab. Lots of other useful info as well like weather, wifi, electric current, etc. For a list of stateroom amenities look on the Deck Plan tab and then select your stateroom category.

I'd also recommend reading through all the other river cruise threads - not just the Blue Danube. Other than itinerary details all the river cruises are pretty similar especially in regards to packing.
  • Options
    We have a couple of restaurants we liked: one in Prague and one in Budapest. In Prague, we had a nice meal at Nostress Cafe Restaurant, just a few blocks from the Intercontinental, where our trip began. It is informal. In Budapest, we went around the corner from the Four Seasons and found the Aurum Bistro, which we found out about in these forums. Sitting outdoors, watching young couples walk by, we had agreat meal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file