advice for upcoming trip

Hi all! We're an active couple in our 60's and we are planning our first safari. We are looking forward to seeing the wildlife in the wild, and I am an avid photographer.
Looking for travelers' opinion about the 13 day Kenya and Tanzania tour:
We were looking at going in September or early October, curious if this was a good time for spotting wildlife.
I understand the game drive vehicles will hold up to 6 people. Did people find that a full car still allowed time and space for everyone to take their photos? Was there an option to pay more and get your own private vehicle and guide?

Comments

• The Classic Safari still remains our favorite out of 14 Tauck tours! Fabulous!! I don't think I've read a negative report about it! We went in mid October and there was plenty of wildlife. If you are an avid photographer, this time of year (dry and dusty) is when those quintessential sunset photographs (with the acacia tree/ grazing animals outlined in black) are taken. On one game drive we found ourselves in a truck with two serious photographers as the sun set. We literally waited until the sun fell below the horizon and snapped photos as it descended. I have to say, the photos are absolutely wonderful! As far as the trucks, we never felt crowded even when there were 6 in a truck. There is plenty of room to move around and get photos. I never felt that anyone was bothersome or hogging a good view. The only option to pay more and get your own vehicle, as far as I know, is to go with another company and have a private tour. There are plenty of those out there. And, I believe Micato has a "Bespoke" collection that is a custom tour. However, be warned that you will pay accordingly. In fact, order their brochure which is the most gorgeous one I have ever seen!
  • edited December 2016
    Chuck66 wrote:
    Hi all! We're an active couple in our 60's and we are planning our first safari. We are looking forward to seeing the wildlife in the wild, and I am an avid photographer.
    Looking for travelers' opinion about the 13 day Kenya and Tanzania tour:
    We were looking at going in September or early October, curious if this was a good time for spotting wildlife.

I see Joyce rolled in first! There are no bad times for K&T. We went in June 2015. Weather had been "strange" before we got there so some of the animals were confused and we saw a mini-migration in the Serengeti which should have happened earlier. Certain times are better to see the great migration. It also depends on location. While it is almost continuous, there are peak times, again, depending on location. Timing, can change slightly from year to year, depending on the weather. It can be difficult to guess the precise timing of events such as crossing the Mara River, too- the Wildebeest can be hanging around for days, then all of the sudden they decide to cross. It is just one of those things. While the migration is made up of large herds of animals trekking the Serengeti, most of them are Wildebeest with a fair amount of Zebra. Calving occurs during certain times of year also. Just Google it.
    I understand the game drive vehicles will hold up to 6 people. Did people find that a full car still allowed time and space for everyone to take their photos? Was there an option to pay more and get your own private vehicle and guide?

The safari vehicles are stretched Toyota land cruisers. Up front is the driver and open seat. Unless the TD or a second guide sits there, someone from in back can sit there. In back are six seats, three on each side of the center isle- so everyone has a "window seat" (actually some jeeps have sliding windows, some just have roll-up shades.) Also, there is a pop up hard top roof so you can stand (after taking off your shoes!) on the seats to get a higher view (see photos)

I can't say for certain that it isn't possible to arrange a private trip, but I suspect so. On our trip, the TD arranged one or two extra game drives during down time for anyone who wanted one more opportunity to see a leopard or other illusive animal. During game drives, the drivers are very attuned to the needs and desires of passengers. They will park the vehicle in the best orientation for photos, wait until everyone is satisfied then, alert everyone and wait for "OK" ("Sawa, Sawa") from everyone, before starting the vehicle- sometimes they would re-orient the vehicle for the people on the other side or to get a better vantage, if the animals moved or there were other vehicles in the way. I NEVER felt I didn't have enough time or opportunity to take all the photos I wanted or best photo possible. Two quick photo suggestions- forget the tripod, no or limited opportunity to use- you almost never leave the vehicle. A beanbag stable support might be useful, especially if you are trying to use a 600 mm lens. If you don't have one, get a 300mm (zoom*) lens (*it gets dusty, you don't want to be changing lenses)

W/side windows:

IMG_1840r.jpg

w/side roll-ups:

IMG_2726r.jpg
  • Many times we have just had 4 in a vehicle. K and T is the best of the safaris Tauck offers to see the most animals whatever time of year. If you haven't booked yet, hurry, these tours sell out way way in advance.
  • We too are a couple in our 60"s and are planning the K&T Classic Safari on September 6. This is our first safari too. Wondering if anyone has any input on Tauk's Insurance? Any other suggestions or recommendations for the trip would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hah, Alan! It's only because I'm on West Coast time!!
    About insurance...we NEVER take a Tauck trip without getting insurance (even got insurance for our recently college graduated sons for the Classic Italy trip). We have gotten other brands through a travel agent (utilized one very successfully when we had to cancel due to a medical problem and not so successfully when Tauck cancelled an Egypt trip...there was a civil unrest clause) We now pretty much stick with Tauck's insurance and feel that it is a good deal and gives us peace of mind.
    I think the best information/recommendations for this trip are contained in the Travel Forum. I know there are lots of postings, but aside from the usual trip introductions ("Who will be on the (name the date) tour?, etc.), the past traveler info is invaluable and well worth the time to plow through all of the postings. This trip, in particular, seems to elicit past traveler comments and recommendations. These postings are a rich source of valuable information. For me, (I also mentioned this in a previous posting) the 3 best things I took were: my super zoom Nikon camera (42 zoom...there are newer, better ones now), my Monster Outlet To Go (a power strip with 4 outlets, requiring only one plug) and a buff (a tubular scarf that has a multitude of uses).
  • edited January 2017
    Always take Tauck's insurance. Thankfully never had to use it, but figure that Tauck is a high end excellent company so would expect their insurance to reflect that too. We have used Global Rescue insurance for a couple of non Tauck vacations. My father died unexpectedly on a foreign vacation and had to be repatriated, thank goodness my mother had insurance.
    I think it was Joyce who first mentioned about the Monster power strip, we got one and use it everywhere. We first saw a 'buff' being used by a local guide on our Galapagos tour years ago, we now take them on all out Tauck adventure tours, not only are they useful for dust and smell protection but they are good to cushion the cameras and binoculars around our necks on the safaris. Binoculars are useful for all safari tours, we never regret having them available, we would have missed some close up views without them, better than using a camera lens.
    Joyce is totally correct about it being worth trawling through past forum postings. Note, quite often they start about one subject and then change into something completely different. You will get many different view points, a few 'arguments' and many invaluable tips. I generally start by looking at postings that have the most replies especially if I am short of time. Note, some tours change itinerary and hotels, so bare that in mind when you find something negative and so on.
  • edited January 2017
    Another vote for Tauck insurance ("Guest Protection Plan")- we used it two years ago when we had to cancel our Best of Ireland trip just a few days before departure due to family medical issue- we got every cent back*- trip and airfare (though we didn't book the flights through Tauck). * Did not get the non-refundable cost of the "Plan" back but Tauck placed it into a "DreamSaver" account which we were able to use on our next trip!

Also, I totally agree about reading archives here, where you will learn about power strips, buffs, treating clothes with Permethrin, or putting Deet on your skin, etc., etc.
  • We have traveled with Tauck before to South America -- the trip was outstanding. We are considering this adventure but my wife has some back problems -- not severe but enough that we generally stay away from 4 x 4 activities. Hoping for some guidance here from those who have made the trip. Thanks!
  • edited January 2017
    WilliamK wrote:
    We have traveled with Tauck before to South America -- the trip was outstanding. We are considering this adventure but my wife has some back problems -- not severe but enough that we generally stay away from 4 x 4 activities. Hoping for some guidance here from those who have made the trip. Thanks!

Check the forum archives. There may be more, but there is a least one lengthy discussion of this exact topic there. If you don't know how to do a search stop back here and ask.

Oh, heck, just click on 'search' at the right side of the title bar above where it says Logged in as: (your screen name). Select 'Kenya and Tanzania Forum' from 'forums' drop-down list, type 'back problems' in the window to the right of 'Posts,' then click 'Search.' This search should return 4 pages of applicable posts. Nothing has changed- same vehicles, same roads.
  • Hi guys. About insurance. We were booked on the K&T tour for Sept. 2013. We were in the lounge at the airport 45 mins. before our flight and my wife tripped on a step and broke her ankle. Obviously, we had to cancel. Tauck immediately refunded, within a couple of days, the entire cost of the trip, with the exception of the cost of the insurance itself. They basically took our word for it over the phone, although, I think I did eventually send them the medical documentation. As AlanS said they gave us a credit in a "Dreamsaver" account for the cost of the insurance, and we were able to apply it when we rebooked for the following year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file