Options

March 2 Trip

This is our first Tauck Trip and we are on the March 2 trip. I would like to hear from everybody that has taken this trip and telll us about it. What we should take, pack and expcet.

Lou

Comments

• Options
    We have just returned from this tour. Remembering well my concern over certain parts of the trip, i would like to share some details with you.

Medications: I brought all the recommended meds and did not use any. I did take Pepto Bismol tablets at the meals. If you do take it a side effect is black tonque and/or black stools. The tablets are what the Peace Corp used in the 60s in foreign countries. We did not get sick though several did develop symptoms and the tour director had something to give them.

Luggage: My husband and I each brought a wheeled carry on. Mine was 17" which fit well under the seat. My small purse went into it. His was a computer type case which fit in the overhead. We adhered to the 15 lb maximum. Even though you will have two duffel overnights we still took our carry ons on the plane.

Checked luggage: We travel with a 24 inch wheeled suitcase which expands. We use 2.5 gal Hefty clear zip loc bags for our tops and small items. I mark mine 'long sleeve, short sleeve etc'...with all the packing and repacking on this trip it makes for an easy job. I took 11 varied tops, plus 4 exofficio shirts button front, two dressier tops for cocktail parties, 3 scarfs, 2 hats, jacket and a shell, 5 pants (one dressier) and two pairs of shoes (running and SAS sandles.) When we left my luggage weight was 41 lbs. We brought a very small backpack for day use.

Since Tauck does a wonderful job giving you santizer and wipe ups on the bus 2-3 small bottles plus a box of wet ones will do you. A friend who had been to India suggested bringing Dollar store slip on socks for the temples. We both slipped them over our own socks and later gave them to the beggars. We had three opportunities to remove our shoes. You will need closed toed shoes in Varanasi. The boats used there are large and stable and you will always find many hands to help you in the boats wherever you go.

Snacks...due to the schedule and timing of certain days, it would be wise to bring a box of crackers or peanuts.

Gifts to children: Tauck discourages money and candy to the begging children on the street; however, when we were in the Lake Resort area we walked through a village. The children like pens but there are younger ones too. One of our group gave out sugar less candy and i had plane erasers to give out. This is strictly your choice.

Shopping: You will have vendors at every stop. The local tour guides do a great job negotiating the price and letting you purchase while you are on the bus. You must ask them what the specific region is known for in terms of purchases. Your Tour Director is not allowed to enter into this or recommend in any way so you are at the mercy of the local guides to advise you. Basically India is known for mirrored work and textiles. Certain regions you will go to have other items. like blue pottery and silver. If you have a purchase in mind bring your measurements! You will definitely have enough time for shopping therapy. When we left our 24" bag was expanded and at that point we didn't have a weight concern.

This tour is WONDERFUL! Every day is a new adventure and Tauck does it making everyone happy! They do a great job making you and the sites a priority! Most important is to keep an open mind, your sense of humor and a smile on your face because the friendly India people will always be ready to give you one back!

• Options
    Marilou

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Being anal as I am, I have a few queastions?

Luggage: We were plannng on each bringing our wheeled carry on. They are 22" and fit in the overhead very easily. They do weigh, when filled, over 15 pounds. Is that a problem?

Checked Luggage: We are each bringing our wheeled luggage that is 28". We have some small pieces of Eagle Creek Gear that we pack our separte items. Works great and sounds as if you do the same thing. My Wife appreciates the list of things to wear. Would you be so kind as to ask your Husband what he took?

We did hear about the sock idea and the Dollar store is our next stop.

Like the snack idea.., Weight Watcher Bars here we come.

Shopping: I would think the local currency is the money of choice. The bettter stores I am sure take Credit Cards? Do they take American Express?

Marilou, I really thank you for the great email, loaded with great information. We are not novice travlers, howerver, it is always good to hear from someone that has been there and done that.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks again

Lou
  • Options
    Hi Marilou,

Thanks for your fabulous detailed report on your trip to India. So glad to hear about your tour and that you really enjoyed it. Lou and his wife are on the same tour as we are. I've told them wonderful things about Tauck as this makes number 18 for us with Tauck. Who was your tour guide? I'm sure everyone going in February and March will appreciate reading your review. I have a big box of my favorite oat and honey bars to take with me!!

Sheila
  • Options
    Responding to questions....Annie Dowling was our tour director. Very knowledgable about the history of India and a great sense of humor. She has been with Tauck 20 years. We were fortunate to have her on our trip.

Regarding D's question of the 22" inch carry on. To understand why this might be too big for a carry on, you must understand the rational for the use of the duffel bags because several of the planes cannot take the weight of your larger bag which is checked. You will be packing in the duffle for one or two nights and that will be checked So, in those smaller planes your 22" might be a problem fitting in the overhead as carry on. If it interests you i do know that Kohl's carries a 17" as well as some Target stores. Definitely bring a wheeled carry on as there is alot of walking from the tarmac and in airports.

We do not use the EC packing bags as we find they are too bulky. We fill the plastic bags and compress them to get all air out...they take up less space. Plus they are easier to see through.

Regarding purchase of rupees. We purchased $250 rupees at the airport upon arrival in India. NOTE: They do not accept Visa travelers checks...only American Express. Upon return i exchanged only $46 dollars worth. and we weren't concerned with rupees the rentire trip. We did always have alot of small bills for small purchases from the vendors. We also found the street vendors will take US dollar bills. I cannot answer your question regarding Amer Express. We used Visa at the hotels and with larger store purchases. I would ask Tauck directly and they will check with the tour director there about AE. Definitely let Visa know of your trip so you don't get hung up with a declined card.

My husband and I pack together a couple of weeks before the trip. We have an inexpensive clothes rack and put our garments on that to think about. Then we can see what is too much and what color we might need more of, etc That gives us time to make purchases if we have to (the ex officio site is great for this). He brought basically what i did. We both take a lightweight travel suit fw/ shirt on the plane trips, take lightweight Royal Robbins pants, and the ex officio button front shirts and t's to mix and match. He did not bring a sport jacket but wore dark silk shirt at the cocktail parties. A couple of the men brought shorts for the southern part of India but the ladies did not.

One of the many simple adventures in India is the traffic and driving and lack of road rage. The horns go non stop and somehow there are few or no accidents! If given the opportunity take a tuk tuk 3 wheel taxi...its a thrill you won't forget. Which leads me to

wine. The wine of choice that is offered in hotels is Sula which is made in India. Sula's wine is a pinot grigio (?) and is excellent. Wine is very very expensive ($20/ glass) which is mostly due to taxes placed on the wine at hotels. So, to compensate, we purchased from a liquor store whenever we were in a tuk-tuk.... I believe Sula was $12 a bottle. Kingfisher beer is much cheaper.

Oh, for those who require scissors...do not put them in your carry on...they will take them within India. Mine were cheap plastic childrens scissors and the statement was "no scissors!" before they dropped them in the "recycle" bin. I was happy to realize they were helping the local people. Hope to meet/see some or any of you in Austrailia next year!
  • Options
    Marilou

Thank you very much for your great informaton and insight. As we prepare we have your notes.

Will give you an update when we get back.

Lou
  • Options
    My wife and I went last October and what Marilou says is pretty much the full story. We got our rupees at the first hotel. The rate was fine, but we had to exchange most of that back again because we had no need to spend much - Tauck have thought of just about everything for you.
    Richard
  • Options
    Luggage: My husband and I each brought a wheeled carry on. Mine was 17" which fit well under the seat. My small purse went into it. His was a computer type case which fit in the overhead. We adhered to the 15 lb maximum. Even though you will have two duffel overnights we still took our carry ons on the plane.

India Tour Packages | India Cultural Tours | Kashmir Tour Package | Tours and Travels
This discussion has been closed.