Options

Panama Canal and Costa Rica - Eastbound February 23, 2012

Just wanted to start a topic specifically for this trip. This will be our second Tauck trip and our first small ship cruise. We are very much looking forward to the adventures ahead and meeting our fellow travelers.

Comments

• Options
    My partner and I will be on the Feb 5 westbound trip. Also our 2nd Tauck tour and first cruise ship tour. We are looking forward to it. Won't be on your tour but I'm sure you will enjoy!
  • Options
    We are on the Feb. 23 eastbound cruise. Have cruised on Cruise West before and have been on many Holland America Blues Cruises, but really look forward to this one! This is our first Tauck tour. We are coming into San Jose 2 days early to tour Arenal volcano.
    Sheila and Tim
  • Options
    You will have an amazing tour! Just got back from the westbound tour - one of the best trips I've every had. Go and do it all.
  • Options
    We are considering this trip for 2013. We both will be 63 in 2013. Is this tour O.K. for our age. We also love to swim and snorkel. How many swim stops (days) on this tour. Any info is very much appreciated. Our e-mail fjtota@yahoo.com. Frank and Alla Tota from Florida Estero. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    You will definitely love this trip. I don't think your age will be an issue - most of the people on the tour we were on were in their 60s/70s. There are a couple of stops, one in the Caribbean for snorkeling, and an amazing snorkeling morning in the Pacific at Isla Granita de Oro, Parque National Isla Coiba, Panama. They provide snorkel gear, fins so you don't have to bring your own, unless you want to.

The nature walks are not strenuos and enjoyable - and with all the constant eating - much needed from my view.

This is really an amazing tour. You get to visit an indiginous tribe in the Caribbean, and another in the Pacific. One of my favorite days was visiting the Embara tribe on the Pacific side - the tour does not always stop a the villiage we had the pleasure to stop at - but really a great day. Getting a Jugua (plant tatoo that wears off in 2 weeks), getting exposed to their culture, and amazing basket weaving -well worth buying - just if buying too large a basket - may need to go to Office Depot in Costa Rica or Panama to have it shipped.

Recomendation on this tour is GO GO GO - it is a great experience. And do all the off ship excursions. 5-Stars Tauck!! You won't be disappointed. Ok - getting used to the sway of the ship and the creaking at night gets a bit getting used to, but would not have passed up the experience. (we were on the Feb 5 westbound - started in Panama and ended in Costa Rica - was a great way to go from my perspective)
  • Options
    fjtota wrote:
    We are considering this trip for 2013. We both will be 63 in 2013. Is this tour O.K. for our age. We also love to swim and snorkel. How many swim stops (days) on this tour. Any info is very much appreciated. Our e-mail fjtota@yahoo.com. Frank and Alla Tota from Florida Estero. Thanks a lot.

We are also considering the Panama Canal trip for early 2013. We will be 70 and 75. I am hoping there will actually be less chance for seasickness than on the bigger ships that travel longer distances on open water to get to the area! Anyone know if there is any difference in rough water between the eastbound and westbound trips?
    KR
  • Options
    We found the Caribbean to be rougher than the Pacific. The Pacific was very smooth. The Caribbean at night when ship was moving we had a rocky night but didn't feel sea sick. Just a bit wobbly at times. Generally the ship is only moving at night. The lower level cabins likely have less sway than the upper decks. But I really would not worry too much. This is an amazing trip and no better way to do it than this tour. The ship is nice and it only has the tauck tour group on it. Don't pass up any off boat excursions, the ship crew is very good at helping people of all ages on and off the zodiacs. Every off boat excursion is worth it - esp. Snorkeling at Granito de Oro, and the Embara tribe. Take a swim in the ship pool when going through the canal - how many can say they've swum the Panama Canal?
This discussion has been closed.