Hand foot and mouth disease

The CDC posted a warning about Viet Nam, 110,000 people AFFECTED and 168 deaths. You can contact this disease from a doorhandle. I checked with Tauck they did not even bother to check with the CDC. All they did was say, no previous traveler was affected!!!! How very irresponsible!!!!

Comments

• Dear mrs,

Thank you for your concern. As noted in the travel documents we provide to all Tauck guests, we strongly urge any guest with health concerns to consult with their personal physician prior to his or her tour or cruise. The quality of information provided by a trained physician with a detailed knowledge of his or her patients' medical history will be far superior to any information that Tauck or a web site can furnish.

Regarding hand, foot and mouth disease, following is some information as provided by the Centers for Disease Control:

"Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common viral illness that usually affects infants and children younger than 5 years old. However, it can sometimes occur in adults. Symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease include fever, blister-like sores in the mouth (herpangina), and a skin rash.

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is spread from person to person through nose and throat secretions (such as saliva, sputum, or nasal mucus), blister fluid, or stool of infected persons. You can lower your risk of being infected by washing your hands often with soap and water, avoiding close contact such as kissing, hugging, or sharing eating utensils or cups with infected persons, and disinfecting dirty surfaces and soiled items."

And from the Mayo Clinic:

" Hand-foot-and-mouth disease — a mild, contagious viral infection common in young children — is characterized by sores in the mouth and a rash on the hands and feet. There's no specific treatment for hand-foot-and-mouth disease. Signs and symptoms of hand-foot-and-mouth disease usually clear up in seven to 10 days."

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Tim
  • BTW: My friend's child in Washington DC came home with Hand, Foot & Mouth disease from his very upscale day care center and it went around my own grandchild's private and upscale day care center in Atlanta. As with all foreign travel, hand sanitizers, antiseptic wipes, and extra precautions with hand washing should be observed.

I think it's nice when Tauck tells you and links you to the CDC or other sites that may be helpful, but as individuals, we should all consult our own experts and make our own decisions.
This discussion has been closed.