Options

Blue Danube-Prague to Budapest-9/8/16

Our first river cruise and first Tauck trip. From Chicago, IL.
Where are other passengers coming from ?
Any suggestions for restaurants in Prague, Vienna or Budapest for free time ?

Comments

• Options
    We just returned from the Prague to Budapest cruise on the MS Joy and had a fantastic time, it was our first time with Tauck and it truly was wonderful. In Prague and Budapest we ate at two restaurants recommended by Rick Steves and both were good.
  • Options
    It is so good to hear enthusiastic reports. I am just beginning to pack for our upcoming cruise. JPCruising, will you please share the names of the two restaurants you enjoyed? I have gathered a short list, but appreciate current recommendations.
    I also have a question for recent travelers about women's attire on the special evenings at the palaces in Prague and Vienna, and the Academia Club in Budapest. Do women generally wear dresses or pant outfits on those occasions? I am sure either is appropriate, but am just wondering what people are choosing to wear.

• Options
    Hi we just got back as well. Fabulous time. In Prague we ate at Kampa Park,mostly for the incredible view.. need reservations. and then Grosetto I think it was, a boat on the water overlooking the castle. casual and pizza pasta. but what a view at night. Good food as well. So many places.

In vienna there is not very much time at all. We did eat att he oldest restaurant. 1417 or so. which Tauck will give you info on.(they give you a sheet on each town or city) and also the Cafe central which was lovely for the decor and tasty food. You are just there for lunch in Vienna, and really don't want to dawdle. I had looked up restaurants but they were farther away I found.

The Prague castle night is not as dressy as the Vienna night but still dressy. Some women wore dresses others very nice slack outfits.

Vienna very dressy. mostly dresses..but dressy slack outfits were worn too.

Last night is' smart casual'.. basically whatever you have left that is clean and nice!

a word of note. when we went it was very hot in all rooms.

Have a great time!!
  • Options
    Thank you for answering my questions and for the restaurant recommendations, which I am adding to my short list. I am getting very excited, and am so happy to hear all the excellent reports. I am also watching the weather forecasts - have been expecting very cool weather and might need to modify my packing based on some above average weather reports as well as your comments about how warm the rooms were.
  • Options
    I'll be going on the same tour in September 2017. Can you tell me your opinion on which options to take:

In Praue: 1. walk through the centuries or 2. walk of Jewish heritage
    1. praague morning guided tour or 2. Drive to Regensburg

1. Salzburg or Cesky Kumlov

I appreciate your feedback

Gayle
  • Options
    We were on the first cruise of Ms. Joy in June and it was just amazing.

In Prague on arrival day, we did a one hour Vltava River boat cruise. Nice views of the city. We went to a great brew-pub for an early dinner called Local Dlouhaaa. On another evening we had a wonderful dinner and great views of Prague from Terasa U Zlate Studne. Make reservations! On our own in Prague we purchased a 24 hour metro pass, went to Petrin Hill on the funicular and up the tower. Also went to a concert at the Klementinum.

We did the Jewish Heritage tour and spent time in Regensburg. Don't miss the historic sausage restaurant by the bridge in Regensburg. We also went to Salzburg and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In Budapest we went to another smaller bistro called Pesti Diszno Bisztro, which was just past the State Opera House. On our own we went to an organ concert at the Basilica of St. Stephen and then had a wonderful dinner at Borkanyaha WineKitchen.

This was our third trip with Tauck (Grand Australia and New Zealand, and Tetons and Yellowstone). We have booked Hawaii and S. Africa in 2017.

Have a wonderful time.

Ed and Vicki
  • Options
    Hi Dobking. I answered that in your other post.. Karen
  • Options
    Hi Dobking we are also going sept 7, 2017. is that your trip date?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file