Options

September Cinque Terre Trip 2016

My wife and I and another couple (from Maine and Virginia respectively) are taking the September trip. Never been with Tauck before but have read a lot on the website and forums and we're looking forward to the trip. Wanted to know if anyone else is going and can share any insights or preparation "nice to know" tips.

Comments

• Options
    rwmayo: we are on the October Cinque Terra trip and are also looking forward
    to a review! we took the Tauck Rome, Amalfi, and Capri tour recently. you will love every minute of a Tauck Trip! perhaps you could post a review on your return. happy travels. Sailorguy
  • Options
    My husband and I are on the first September tour for 2016. We took the Tauck Treasures of the Mediterranean tour last year, and it was a wonderful trip. Tauck does an outstanding job of providing a first class tour with many unexpected extras. You just need to be prepared to have a great time with interesting travel companions. Your tour director and local guides provide a lot of insight and can give you recommendations on where to eat, what to see, etc. during free time.
  • Options
    Cinque Terre is also a place I would love to visit! I would appreciate all you travelers posting some remarks about your trip after you are back, if possible. Enjoy...
  • Options
    Took this trip in October 2015. A very good trip, but probably not the best choice for first time travelers to Italy. Includes some fantastic experiences that you could not do on your own, but short on seeing the standard sights. Those that are new to Italy may want to book some extra days in Florence to see more of that wonderful city. This was our second trip to the area (we did the Classic Italy previously). Though there was some overlap, we still thoroughly enjoyed this trip due to its unique experiences offered. We even stayed an extra five days in Florence at the end (if you want to stay in Florence at the end of the trip Tauck will take you to the Florence train station from Siena).

Bring some sturdy shoes if you plan to hike in the Cinque Terre. While this is an active trip, it is not physically challenging (unless you make it so with longer hikes in the Cinque Terre). The bike ride in Lucca is a short level easy ride. The walk to the hotel and the hike on the tour (optional) in Cinque Terre are not challenging, but more than you might expect on other Tauck tours. The bus is a large Mercedes Sprinter van (like an airport shuttle), not a full size bus. It is comfortable, but the seats are smaller than a standard bus. There are two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other. (The buses may vary from the one we used.) The trip to Carrara to see the marble quarries is great, but the roads are a little scary. They use vintage Land Rovers for this. I still would say it is an experience not to be missed. The balloon ride is beautiful and the pilot is experienced (a former airline pilot and long time balloonist) and charming. I would strongly recommend the optional balloon ride, though most in our group opted out.

Watch out for pickpockets in the Cinque Terre train stations. The platforms are often crowded and there were some young girls working the platform that the station attendant alerted us to. Keep your backpack or purse in front of you on the platform or when boarding.

By the way, during our extended stay in Florence, we took a one day food and wine tour through at company called "Walk About Florence." It was called the Chianti Wine Safari. It was fantastic. Great guide, great food and good wine. If you have a free day, I really recommend it (I have no connection to that company other than as a customer). You can book through Viator or directly at their website.
  • Options
    Hi Ken from Vegas - Thanks for the good information. questions regarding the hike in Cinque Terre: would hiking-type shoes be the best option, and if someone plans on wearing Teva sandals (not closed toe, sturdy but regular sandal style), would that work? Are the paths narrow? Thanks for any info you can provide.
  • Options
    Ken from Vegas - thanks very much for your insights and tips. Just the kind of valuable info we were seeking. Were adding on several days in Florence ahead of the tour just to try and see more of Florence and Pisa.
  • Options
    rwmayo wrote:
    Ken from Vegas - thanks very much for your insights and tips. Just the kind of valuable info we were seeking. Were adding on several days in Florence ahead of the tour just to try and see more of Florence and Pisa.

You might want to check out the Classic Italy and Classic Italy, Small Groups forums for more info about Florence and Pisa. I provided a couple of hopefully informative posts about things to see, do, and about pre-purchasing tickets- especially important if you are going early or on your own.
  • Options
    My husband and I are going on the Sept. 24th, 2016 Tuscany and Cinque Terre tour. We are from the western suburbs of Chicago. This is our first trip with Tauck and our first trip to Italy. We have done other small group tours before with Windstar Cruises and Viking River Cruises but this is our first 'bus tour'-style tour in Europe. We have read great things about Tauck Tours and are very excited about the trip! We added a day onto our tour in Florence, before the tours starts and we had our travel agent book a tour of the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens in Florence since they aren't included on the tour. We have heard from family that have traveled in Italy to be sure to see these places. I like that we have some free-time on many afternoons to see the cities on our own, as well as with guided tours. We also added on 2 days in Venice at the end of the trip. There are so many amazing places we'd like to see I Italy that it was very difficult narrowing down what to see on this first trip to Italy. We look forward to meeting the rest of our tour group.
  • Options
    Laura: we are on the October 15 th tour. Enjoy every minute . please post a review when you return. we did take the Tauck Rome, Amalfi, Capri trip and it was superb. Sailorguy ( any info/tips would be appreciated)
  • Options
    We took this trip about three years ago in October. It is a wonderful, scenic trip.

The name of our favorite Gelato shop in Florence is Gelateria La Carraia. It is two bridges north of the Ponte Vecchio. We went there a number of times. You will go there more than once!

We wanted to visit the Pitti Palace but it was closed that day. The Boboli Gardens was not impressive. Maybe it was the wrong time of the year. If you go, be prepared to hike uphill (and downhill). If I remember correctly, it was two or three blocks on switchbacks and inclines.

When you go to the Carrara quarry, be prepared to get wet marble dust on your shoes. Wear the shoes that you intend to throw out at the end of the tour to make room for souvenirs.
  • Options
    Well, since Travel Guy brought it up, here's my favorite gelato places in Florence (try them all - what the heck!):

Gelateria Eduardo - across from the southeast corner of the Duomo - OMG! The best! Organic gelato made in small batches on the premises. Small selection, but outstanding. The chocolate is like frozen ganache. Small signs and not brightly lit - easy to walk right past it.

Perche No! - Our former favorite. Voted among the top 10 ice cream establishments in the world by Tauck travelers. Wide selection and good quality.

Vivoli - The original. They claim to have invented gelato. Wood paneled tradition. Their gelato is a bit too buttery for my taste, but some people swear by it. Good to check out just for the atmosphere. You pay at the cash register and then use your receipt when you order.

All of these can be found on Google Maps.

Travel Guy is wise to warn you about the Pitti Palace. We missed it on our first trip (Classic Italy) and had to go back to see it. Check the museum closing days before you go so that you can plan accordingly.

We didn't get marble dust on our shoes. It was foggy and rainy that day, making it even more of a thrill ride.
  • Options
    RavenEye - Sorry I missed your question before. Personally, I would not wear sandals, even Tevas. We did see a young lady wearing Capri style rhinestone sandals on the trail. We all agreed that she was nuts! It is a dirt trail with some rocks present. It is uneven in places and can often be muddy. I would suggest running shoes or trail running shoes (waterproof, like Keens would be even better). A hiking boot would also be good, but probably is overkill unless you plan to hike up to the ridge tops.
  • Options
    Hi-- is anyone booked for the September 19th tour?
  • Options
    Just returned from the Culturious Cinque Terra/Florence tour. We were so lucky to have had fabulous weather the entire week. The tour was very well planned with a wide range of activities - art, architecture, history, food, wine, music. Everything was delightful from the most amazing works of art to simple farmhouse meals and genuinely friendly natives. This is a tour which really focuses on the essence of Italy - away from the usual tourist attractions. Loved it!

Hiking the Cinque Terra and the quarry tour were my highlights.

We arrived a couple days early and also did a WalkaboutFlorence cooking class and a Fiat tour. It was also a blast. There's never enough time to see all that you would like, but adding a few days in Sienna or the Cinque Terra was a consensus amongst our group.
  • Options
    diiu: so happy and excited to read your reviews! we are on the October 15th tour. arriving 1 day prior and staying 3 days extra at end. we were considering the food/ walking tour. did you book it while there? through viator? also: we are seeing weather in the 70's is that about right? counting the days. any other tips will be appreciated. we are gathering some restaurant names/ places for the times we are on our own..any suggestions? Sailorguy
  • Options
    Hi SailorGuy,

I know you didn't direct your questions to me, but I thought I'd jump in with answers anyway.

Restaurant suggestions in Florence: La Grotta di Leo - easy walk from the hotel. Casual restaurant and pizzeria with a wide menu. Friendly with a mix of locals and tourists. Very reasonable.

Also, the Mercado Centrale has a food court upstairs (the downstairs is the food market). Good food, wide selection and open late. Good for lunch or a quick dinner. Be sure to check out the market during the day.

Your tour director will give you a list of restaurants, as well.

When we booked with WalkAbout Florence, we booked on their website. With my credit card (no currency conversion fee) it was a few dollars cheaper to do it this way. If your card charges a fee for conversion, Viator will be cheaper. You can also book when you're there (they have an office on a street behind the Palazzo Vechio -see Google maps). Personally, I'd book ahead to be sure of a space.

70s sounds about right, but it could be a little warmer or cooler. Be sure to be prepared for rain.

• Options
    Ken: thanks so much for the suggestions. everything sounds helpful. anything else please post ! Sailorguy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file