Internal Peru/Galapagos flights

Taking the Peru and Galapagos trip next year and have been told by Tauck that on the internal flights the carry on luggage can only be 10 lbs. Have anyone had a problem?

Comments

• That does not make sense. Are you sure you are not meaning the train? I have heard you pack overnight for that trip and leave the rest of your stuff at hotel. You can't survive the cruise portion of trip on 10 lbs. of clothes.
  • edited June 2016
    rogfam wrote:
    Taking the Peru and Galapagos trip next year and have been told by Tauck that on the internal flights the carry on luggage can only be 10 lbs. Have anyone had a problem?

This is a casual tour, especially so aboard ship. With the possible exception of the Welcome, Farewell, and maybe dinner at Belmond Monasterio in Cusco, you won't need nicer clothes so should be able to meet your needs with just one piece of normal size luggage (each). Tauck actually frowns on carry-ons for many of their tours, and depending on the tour, may require you to schlep your own extra (carry-on) bag if it is large.

The "Before You Go" section of the website for this tour says carry-on luggage can be "22lbs (10 kg)" (NOT 10 lbs) and of course that is 22 lbs for each traveler. Each traveler can also take one piece of checked luggage. It is not either/or. You can read it yourself, but here is some of what it says,

" . . .we urge that only one piece of checked luggage be brought on this trip," " . . .train to Machu Picchu require guests to carry limited personal belongings. Each passenger is restricted to no more than 44 lbs (20 kg) of luggage. Therefore, we will provide you with a duffel bag. . . .for your one-night stay in Machu Picchu." "checked luggage will be stored, at the Belmond Monasterio in Cusco during the Machu Picchu excursion and, if desired, the Oro Verde Hotel, in Guayaquil during the cruise." "Small carry-on bags are permitted, but . . ." " . . . Each guest is also restricted to one carry-on bag weighing no more than 22 lbs (10 kg)."

If the procedures are different, maybe a former traveler can weigh in. We aren't scheduled until March 2017.
  • I agree that 10 lbs for a carry on is ridiculous, considering that the suitcase alone weighs close to seven lbs.! Maybe the Tuack rep got kg confused with lbs. I will call again, thanks. Not planning to bring a lot of clothes, just the basics. We are on the March 7/17 trip, can't wait!
  • edited June 2016
    While I agree that Alan is probably correct and having read it myself, I have been on a couple of Tauck tours where the CARRY ON has been restricted to 10 lbs.
    Travelers have to read very carefully and destinguish between CARRY ON and CHECKED LUGGAGE. it does not say anywhere that the CARRY ON luggage is the only bag you will be able to take, I assume the remainer will be CHECKED.
    I have been on some very small planes on my travels both with Tauck and independently and the rules have been very strict, NO exceptions. I have been on a couple of planes where the pilot will not take bags that are too big or too heavy, they have been deliberately left behind to come on the next flight, and on the Tarmac. I would clarify with Tauck again but not panic. I think if there is a problem we would have been sure to see comments here on the forum. Although the subject comes up now and again on some of the tours, I have never read anyone commenting after they have taken a tour how they had run out of clothing or how difficult it had been. I still think it is worth choosing one's suitcases and hand baggage carefully, very lightweight. Then mini everything else, lightweight clothing that can be layered and so on. All the travel experts constantly say a wise or frequent traveller travels light. While I am in no way near that end of the spectrum, I have amassed myself lightweight everything, do tend to take too much of that stuff, but I hate to get my things laundered. I have never so far found I have ever broken any of the Tauck guidelines. I look forward to my second Galapagos tour late next year, will not be doing Peru.
  • I agree completely with your comments. I did an Africa safari a few years ago that utilized small planes and all we could take on board was a duffel bag. However, was told that all internal flights are on scheduled jets. Called Tauck and they are now checking out the 10 lb or 10 kg confusion.
  • Please post what you find out. Wouldn't you think that kind of info would be at their fingertips!
  • edited June 2016
    Will do. What she had was 10 lbs which was in conflict with what the 10 kg in the "Before You Go" section on the Peru/Galapagos website.
  • We're doing this trip in September. The Before You Go is clear and I wouldn't take the word of a Tauck reservation agent over this. I have the official Tauck document and unless they send us something directly which overrides it, that's their story and I'm expecting them to stick to it.

As noted, these aren't the bush planes you encounter in Africa (which we did last year) and even there no one weighed the carry-on.
  • edited June 2016
    No, they at not the bush planes, no idea what they are, but I have been on smaller planes where there is absolutely no room for anything but a very small bag which must fit under a very very small seat in front. The crew have been strict. So If you do encounter that situation, are you prepared to hand over your bag, that is the question you have to ask yourself and then make your decisions accordingly. Sometimes 'Before You Go' is not clear at all and some information given is wrong, no silly, like pack shorts for a New Year in Paris, yes seen that in info. While I agree totally that what is written down is probably what will be quoted to you in a dispute, it still does no harm to call and write the name of the representative and tell them you are writing down verbatim want you are being told. Gosh, I sound like a lawyer, and no, I have never had to call Tauck about anything like this, but if I do, maybe this is the approach I might take.
  • edited June 2017
    I did some digging on the web but was unable to find the aircraft used. That said, due to the distances and altitudes, I would bet all flights are on "regional jets", like Embraer ERJ or Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet CRJ series, or the larger Airbus A320 series (A318/319/320/320), or Boeing 737, etc. flown by many foreign and domestic carriers:

Embraer E-170:

450px-Cirrus_Airlines_E170_D-ALIE_Start.jpg

CRJ 700:

330px-GojetCRJ700NewColours.jpg

Airbus A320:

Airbus%20A320%20Sharklets%20F-WWBA%20%28Apr%29%20TLS%20%28CAG%29%2846%29-625x417.jpg

• edited June 2016
    Yes, these are not charter flights so they will be, at the least, regional jets like AlanS describes.

Occam's Razor suggests that the simplest explanation is an agent who either doesn't know the difference between kilograms and pounds, or misread in haste. So, talking a Tauck SALES representative (who I'm betting have no access to information other than what is on the web site since they field calls for hundreds of different tours) is more reassuring than the "Before You Go" which is specifically edited for the tour by someone familiar with the tour?

If my assumptions/approach fails, I'll let you know. Hasn't happened in dozens of years of travel.
  • edited June 2016
    The Peru internal flights are on regular flights,although, we did get the ticket agent in Lima (to Cusco) who had put on her cranky pants that day. She said our combined checked luggage was overweight ( have no idea how that happened...3 purchases in Lima couldn't have accounted for that much weight...). Anyway, hubby grabbed a duffel that he was going to check but made it carry-on to lighten the load and get away from "Grumpy Pants" ( had packed the duffle on the trip there), Well, wouldn't you know, that was where he had put his manicure set, so his scissors got confiscated at security! All in all, not a fun check-in! Please note that there were others whose luggage was a lot heavier than ours, and they sailed through! Go figure! That was all about checked luggage. No one seemed to care about carry-on on those flights.
    When we went, we had read (not sure where) that there was a carry on restriction on the flight between Guayaquil and the Galapagos, I do not recall anyone having any issue, and our friend's camera bag weighed in at 20 pounds. I believe that is the flight to which you are referring, not the internal ones in Peru.
  • Well it has been three weeks and still no one has gotten back to me...........
  • edited July 2016
    rogfam wrote:
    Well it has been three weeks and still no one has gotten back to me...........

If you are that concerned, I would call Tauck again, but if you have some time, try this- go to the Travelocity website and see who flies and what type of plane they fly between Lima and Cusco, Lima and Guayaquil, and Guayaquil and Galápagos (to San Cristobal and from Baltra). Then you can check their baggage guidelines.

For instance a quick check shows Avianca, LATAM, and Peruvian fly between Lima and Cusco. Avianca and LATAM fly the Airbus A320, while Peruvian Airlines flies the Boeing 737. LATAM (Boeing 767-300), Tame (Embraer 190), and Avianca Airbus (A319) fly from Lima to Guayaquil. It appears only LATAM and Tame fly between Guayaquil and the Galápagos in A319/320 and Embraer 190 respectively. If I were to guess, based on timing, lunch on the ship after arrival, I'd say you fly to the Galápagos on Tame which arrives at 1140, since the LATAM flights don't arrive until 1345 or later. But, that is just a guess. LATAM is bigger airline than Tame.

Heck, I might as well finish this. Here are what the airlines say about carry-on bags:

Avianca:

"You can transport a piece of carry-on baggage with a maximum weight of 10 kg (22 lbs.), the sum of exterior dimensions (height + length + width) may not exceed 115 centimeters (45 inches). You can check the size of your carry-on baggage at the airport modules."

LATAM:

"The maximum weight for your carry-on baggage is of 8 kilos (17 lb) in Economy and 16 (35 lb) kilos in Premium Economy or Premium Business. If you're flying in Economy within Brazil, the maximum weight is 5 kilos (11 lb).

The maximum dimensions are 55 cm (21 in) x 35 cm (13 in) x 25 cm (9 in) (width, height and depth), including the pockets, wheels and handle."

Tame:

"1 piece carry-on - 8 kg (17 lb) 55cm high, 35cm wide and 25 depth + 1 personal item- Portfolio, Bag, Notebook, Camera, baby bag"

• Alan, thanks so much for the very informative reply. Did call Tauck twice more and they never got back to me. From your excellent research it appears that their reservation people have the wrong information of 10 lbs for the carryons.
  • Can't recall the other airlines, but I know we flew AeroGal between Guayaquil and the Galapagos. Maybe they have changed airlines since our trip.
  • edited July 2016
    joycesw wrote:
    Maybe they have changed airlines since our trip.

Travelocity evidently didn't list all the carriers. Other sites still list AeroGal some sites said "Avianca, operated by Aerogal." Also, evidently AeroGal changed names!* So who knows what is going on in the land of Mañana? I'll let Tauck figure it out

* "Avianca Ecuador, formerly known as AeroGal, is an airline based in Quito, Ecuador. It operates passenger and cargo flights within Ecuador, between the mainland and the Galápagos Islands, and between Ecuador and Peru (on behalf of Avianca Peru) and Colombia (on behalf of Avianca). It is one of the seven nationally branded airlines (Avianca Peru, Avianca Honduras, etc.) in the Avianca Holdings group of Latin American airlines.At the present time they have 1 daily flight from Quito to Baltra (Galápagos), in addition to 6 weekly flights from Quito and 5 from Guayaquil to San Cristobal (Galápagos). "

Only 246 days to go!
  • We took this tour several years ago and they are talking about carry-on luggage only. You can also have a checked bag. The overhead bin size is limited so no large carry-on bags will fit. Tauck also gave us a duffel bag for the Galapagos part of the trip and we left the rest of the luggage at the hotel and picked it up on the way home. The reason is that there is very little storage room on the ship for clothes and the duffel fits under the bed. We didn't want the extra luggage for our homeward bound trip so left the duffel behind as did most of our travelers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file