Canyon lands September 21 tour

This is our first Tauck land tour. We are wondering how small the "small backpack" needs to be to carry on the bus. We are from Cape Cod and would be interested to hear from others on this tour.
Paula

Comments

• Welcome to tauck. If you bring carry-on luggage they will let you put it below when getting on the bus and will leave for you to take to room when arrive at hotel. If you want a day pack you have only 2 options: at your feet or fit above in the small rack above.
  • edited September 2015
    PaulaMi wrote:
    This is our first Tauck land tour. We are wondering how small the "small backpack" needs to be to carry on the bus. We are from Cape Cod and would be interested to hear from others on this tour.
    Paula[/quotte

It depends what you mean because I am not quite clear. Do you want to know about the carry on bag that you will also use on the plane or a small daypack you want and need access to on the bus?

On the days when you will be using the bus but not going on to a new hotel, you might wish to take a small lightweight daytime backpack with you that contains a lightweight raincoat of some description, an umbrella, your camera, binoculars, tissues, sunscreen and so on, if you are a woman, you might want to take your handbag too ( I still get confused here because an American woman might call that a purse) in that you might want to carry money, sunglasses, you know all the mysterious things we women carry in them! My daypack is a very lightweight nylon that folds into itself, I can wear it as a backpack, over one shoulder or it even has two handles I can carry it like a tote bag. I also for my next trip have a gorgeous nylon handbag that I can fit inside that if I want to take it too.

For my carry on bag that I also use on the plane and on the days where we are moving to a new hotel, I have another slightly less lightweight backpack which is not much bigger. In this I put my iPad, any clothing I might want to change into as soon as we get to the hotel in case my suitcase does not arrive in my room for a while ( I say this because several times lately our bags have not gotten to the room for up to an hour and we have not been able to change before dinner) so if I know the hotel has a pool, I might put my swimsuit in there too, get the idea? I also put in any last minute things--- I always want to brush my teeth after breakfast, so I can put that in this bag because the big suitcase will have gone from the room by then. So these two bags actually take up less room than the one carry on bag that I see some people struggling onto the bus with, and then they find that it will not fit overhead--- on a bus that is not full, there is a possibility you could put it on an empty seat at the back of the bus, but that means you will have to wait until everyone has unloaded off the bus before you retrieve it or you will cause a traffic jam. Some people may also want to take the opportunity to have one of those empty seats so they are next to a window. Either way, you will probably have the need for something to carry the day stuff in apart from that. If room or regulations mean I can only carry one bag, I can empty the smaller backpack and put it empty and folded into the slightly heavier carry on bag, or I can put the full lightweight backpack as it is, into the carry on bag, the carry on bag will have enough room even when it has other day stuff in it. I always am on the lookout for small everything, lightweight everything, double or triple duty everything that I can use time and time again on trips. Very little is a wasted buy and I treasure these things because they make traveling so much easier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file