Options

Kenya &Tanzania: A Classic Safari Tour January 2016

Ed and I will take the Tanzania/Kenya trip beginning Jan 23, 2016. Is anyone else planning to be on this adventure?
This will be our 16th Tauck trip. Any advice as to what to pack, clothes especially for the season would be appreciated.
Kari

Comments

• Options
    HI! We will be on this adventure with you. Just go to your local REI, L.L. Bean or Erehwon store. They are very helpful. Look forward to meeting you.....Marilyn and Bob
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In general, except for rain during the long and short rainy seasons, the climate and temps don't change much in Kenya and Tanzania over the course of the year, unlike South Africa which has a winter of sorts. Your entire tour will be near the equator (right on the equator while at Mt. Kenya), but you will be near or above 5000' altitude during most of it. The altitude has more effect than being close to the equator. It tempers the conditions considerably. We did this trip in early June but I suspect you will experience similar conditions. For K&T and similar tours, the mornings may be cool but warm as the day goes on. The typical recommendation is to layer. You will be exposed to a bit of dust on game drives and the trip across the Serengeti to the Four Seasons, so keep that in mind.

You will also see recommendations about not wearing certain colors -no red, it will scare the animals who might mistake you for a Masai hunter; no black- it attracts the tsetse flies; and no white socks- they will show the often reddish dust and dirt. Frankly the red clothing business is quite a stretch, but the black is for real. Also, being near the equator and thinner air at altitudes result in the sun's rays being stronger, so consider long pants, long sleeve shirts, and some type of hat.

We went for the tourist safari look :~ ) - Columbia brand wicking PFG style shirts (w/tie up sleeves) and zip off pants in beige, brown, and dark green, either a fleece vest or safari vest/convertible vest, a scarf/bandana/buff, and a Tilley hat.

Look in the Regional forums/K&T sub-forum on the bottom half of the main Tauck Travel Forum page for more discussions about safari clothing.
  • Options
    Mar and Bob, Karen and I are looking forward to meeting you. I had thought about a side trip to Arusha National Park but we will have arrived after 24 hours of travel. so we probably will spend the day at the hotel reenergizing. We hope that Tauck will give us some guidance on tipping for the TD.
    Ed
  • Options
    Blade wrote:
    Ed and I will take the Tanzania/Kenya trip beginning Jan 23, 2016. Is anyone else planning to be on this adventure?
    This will be our 16th Tauck trip. Any advice as to what to pack, clothes especially for the season would be appreciated.
    Kari

Yes, there will be four of us in our group..look forward to meeting you all
    Sandy
  • Options
    I just booked Kenya & Tanzania for July 23rd. This will be my 10th Tauck trip and I am traveling solo. Anybody else on this tour ?
  • Options
    Nancilyn, we will also be on the July 23rd trip! Looking forward to meeting you! Nancy
  • Options
    Tondreault wrote:
    Nancilyn, we will also be on the July 23rd trip! Looking forward to meeting you! Nancy

HI. I was beginning to think I was the only one !! I am from Fort Lauderdale FL. Where are you from ?

• Options
    cloygirl wrote:
    Yes, there will be four of us in our group..look forward to meeting you all
    Sandy
    Cloygirl, Would you please tell me about your trip in January. how was the weather?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file