Options

So many Christmas Markets to choose from

There is the Danube Eastbound, the eastbound, southbound, you get the idea.
Anyone tried them all that can give us a clue which is preferable? Would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    and don't forget the Rhine Christmas Markets cruise.

We've done both (Danube - Nuremburg to Vienna and Rhine - Cologne to Basel) and you won't be disappointed on either.

On the Rhine, you get German and French markets. On the Danube, German and Austrian. If you haven't done either (warning here: once you've done one you'll probably not be able to resist doing the other!), then I'd base my selection on the start/end cities and your desire to (possibly) spend extra time in them. In terms of the relative charms of the termini, we'd rate them (great to less great...they are all interesting) as: Vienna, Cologne, Basel, Nuremburg.

One other (slight) consideration: on the Main Canal/Danube you'll be going through many more locks than on the Rhine. After a few, the novelty wears off. The Rhine is a bit more au natural.

We'd give a slight edge to the Rhine, but plan on doing both again in the future. You can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Lilly, I have to agree with Portalan--once you have been on one of the Christmas Market trips, you will want to go on the other. My husband and I have been on both trips and they were both wonderful.

Our first trip was on the Danube starting in Nurnberg to Vienna and the Rhine trip started in Cologne. Trying to determine which trip is better is like asking someone which of their children they like the most--it could be a very difficult answer.

We usually arrive two days ahead of the tour, which gives us time to adjust to the time change and roam on our own. We have also stayed an extra day at the end of the trip, which also allows you so see more. This has worked well for us on both trips.

We are both "Christmas" people and I love Christmas ornaments. I think the Danube trip gives you more options for the purchase of Christmas ornaments, Nutcrackers and Smokers. There is not as much scenery to be seen on the river trip, but most of the traveling was done at night, other than the last day. We really liked Nurnberg as it was one of the largest markets. We have visited Salzburg and Vienna on a previous trip and wanted to return to both at Christmas and were not disappointed.

The Rhine trip was also wonderful, but for different reasons. We loved the little towns we visited and the day of river travel on the Rhine was in the area of lots of "castles". Each of the towns had lots of different Christmas items, but I think less "ornaments". We had not visited France prior to this trip and really enjoyed the towns/markets in this section of France.

I don't know if this helps you determine which trip you might take, but you cann't go wrong with either one.
  • Options
    So very grateful! We will probably only get one chance to do this trip so your advice really helps. The Rhine it is!
  • Options
    Yes if you are going for the beauty of river travel that day with the castles, if a clear day, is the best. I have done both trips in spring and end of summer, and though both are great trips, I will long remember the day with the castles.
  • Options
    Not sure if this is proper place for this question, but since several replies came from veteran Christmas tour folks..here goes...I'm from a very warm area in south Georgia...I'm aware the weather on the Basel to Cologne Rhine trip the first week of December will be cold! My question concerns proper shoes...I have a pair of waterproof boots that I have worn on several shopping Christmas trips to NYC and to a March trip to China...should I take another pair of similar style boots? In NYC I only was there 3 days and in China we went from Chicago to Miami type weather, so they were not needed every day...I understand the weather can be unpredictable, but just wondered what you veteran travelers take in the way of shoes/boots...thanks...looking forward to have a wonderful time with 3 great friends on the Inspiration...this will be my first Tauck trip...
  • Options
    I don't know if this will be of any help, but you should prepare for both rain and snow/ice. My husand and I have been on both the Danube and Rhine Christmas Market trips and experienced all of the above.

We did not encounter snow on the Danube 2011 trip--only rain. However, on the Rhine 2012 trip, we had rainy days and then snow and ice on the French/Switzerland portion of the trip.

I suggest you take boots that will work on both. We wore "insulated ducks" for the entire trip--even for none weather days, which kept the packing to a minimum. Our "ducks" were purchased from LL Bean, but I am sure you can find them in your area.

Also take a warm stockings, a hat and ear muffs--all will come in handy. A number of ladies purchased hats on the trip to combate the weather.
  • Options
    We were on the Rhine Christmas Market trip last year (2013) on the southbound trip that leaves right after Thanksgiving so it was early December. My feet get cold easily. I took insulated water-proof boots (rubber soles suede-like uppers with fur-like lining. Plus I bought wool socks at REI. Much to my surprise I ended up wearing the boots and the wool socks every day even though we had no snow. It was quite cold but not frigid. We traveled with another couple and we (the woman) maximized our time at the markets. So you are outside (often at night) for long periods of time and I found the wool socks and boots kept me warm and comfortable.
  • Options
    Well it seems that the one we wanted is pretty much booked. The only thing left was the most expensive cabin.
    If I were to book for the future, does it get very cold in the boat? Any suggestions on best cabins, (within reason of course$$ )

Thanks again!

Lily
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If I were to book for the future, does it get very cold in the boat? Any suggestions on best cabins, (within reason of course$$ )

Not cold at all in the boat last December. Each cabin has an independent thermostat so you can keep it where you like it. We were in Cat 3 on the middle deck. Never heard anyone say they were cold on the ship.