Classic Italy - 2nd day in Rome mostly free?

We are booked on the Classic Italy Oct. 8 tour, and have a friend who wants to briefly meet up with us in Rome during our free time. In the full itinerary description of the tour, the second day in Rome lists the highlight as the evening afterhours Vatican tour, but nothing about touring during the day. The only meal listed as part of the tour that day is breakfast (B). I need to confirm if we'll have the majority of the day free after breakfast and up through dinner to potentially meet our friend during this time. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Comments

• Although the tour description works in making your own plans, it is not set in stone. I took this trip last year and had set up mini tours for myself around Rome and Florence. Everything went smoothly except for my first night in Rome. I had scheduled a night bus tour of Rome for myself outside of Tauck. But when I received an updated itinerary in Sorrento, there was a change in the schedule. The time of our after-hours tour of the Vatican was bumped up to the day we arrive in Rome from Pompeii. I has happy to learn about it early enough so that I can call and change my reservation.

My advice is to make your plans, but be flexible. They will let you know a couple of days in advance if there was a change in your itinerary. I hope this helps!
  • Thanks for your posting about your experience. We are still going to try to meet up with our friend but are letting her know she'll need to be flexible.

• Hi -- Have a similar question. I got the idea from the brochure that after the after-hours museum tour of the Vatican Museums, the rest of the day was free to do what we want. I had planned on going to Catholic Mass that Saturday afternoon at a church near the hotel to fulfil my Sunday obligation.. I actually had the details carefully researched.

But the final documentation I have now received now says that the after-hours museum tour occurs after the afternoon of leisure. This will present difficulty for me. Also, when do I get to eat supper? Maybe I could not go on the museum tour?

Doesn't Tauck realize that when they promise a "rest of day" on your own, that people plan on this???

ZU
  • edited May 2015
    I have been on enough tours to know that things do change quite last minute and more often than not it is out of Tauck's control. I think I have read that the after hours tours is at the mercy of the Vatican, but how lucky you are because when we did the Vatican museum with Tauck there was no such thing as an after hours tour as far as I can remember. Surely the fact that you are visiting the Vatican should 'excuse' you from Mass just this once. I am going to read the 'Before you Go' section on your tour to see if the flexibility for the museum is mentioned, I'm sure I have read that before. Please you check too. Yes, just checked, it's right there in the itinerary! There are often unadvertised surprises on tours that we enjoy. It's worth considering arriving a few days early if you plan on seeing extra things or meeting friends to avoid these glitches.
  • Hi I am going on my first Tauck Tour "Classic Italy" on April27th of 2016. I am 56 and traveling by myself.I am very new to overseas traveling so I do not know if being a single will fit in so to speak!Has anyone out there taken this trip as a single?? Thanks so much!
  • Calleegirl: I am a single female in my early 60s and I took this tour last fall. There were several singles (female and male) and everyone included us in all activities to the extent we wanted that (I really enjoy my "alone time"). And the Tauck guide will provide ANY help/support that you need. I have been to Europe a number of times but even if this had been my first trip I would have had no worries. Just go and enjoy yourself and have some adventures. Limit the amount of cash and credit cards you carry (leave the rest and your passport in the hotel safe) and have fun wandering the streets. Use common sense as you would at home and you will be fine. I have taken 8 Tauck tours, always as a single, and on every single one I have had a great time.
  • edited July 2015
    I have been on many Tauck tours as a single and only one there were no other singles and turned out to be one of the best. I met more of the bus by eating with different ones most nights. I am still friends with one and going on Scotland tour with her in 2 weeks. Next year I might be doing Italy with one I met on Classic Italy 2 years ago. Most tours the couples will not let the singles eat alone unless they want to. Many times I hang out with the other singles in off time.

This is a great tour enjoy. Just be open to meeting the people on the trip and you will have a great time.

You do have to be aware of your surroundings. Since the EU opened the borders all of Europe has lots of pickpockets. Do not carry anything in pockets or in pocketbook you can not lose. I got a secure pocketbook that can lock zippers and has metal through the strap. On more that one tour there were a few that got pickpocketed. In Italy 2 getting on train from the landing of the boat ride in Italian Rivera. I don't want to scare you, but you do have to be smart.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file