cushions for game drives

Any recommendations for (?)inflatable cushions to sit on during bumpy rides?

Comments

• In my experience, it would only put me that much closer to the ceiling!! There are times when one literally bounces off the seat, but I really don't think a cushion would have helped! Perhaps because I am tall the fear of hitting the roof was real!!
  • We brought two inflatable cushions and never needed them. The seats in all the vehicles were well cushioned. Most of the time we were standing on them to look out the open roof!
  • Like Ilene, we bought and lugged two blow up cushions with us. My wife used hers once; I never took mine out of the carrying case. They were not necessary and a true waste of money.

If you decide to take one...be careful. One of the ladies on our trip actually ended up on the floor of the safari vehicle. As Joycesw stated, the bumps will elevate you off your cushion. This lady went up...and sideways...and missed both her cushion and the seat upon landing.

I have a bad back and the rough roads did not bother me. If you are healthy enough to undertake this trip I doubt you need a cushion...Leo M
  • I took an inflatable pillow on my last Africa trip and used it once. I kept bouncing off of the darn thing! I'd skip it.
  • edited January 2016
    The bumps you will encounter during game drives are not like you might experience in a car on a paved road. They are not asphalt pot holes with sharp edges, but are more rock and roll and dipsy-do, if you get what I mean. And some, believe it or not, are dirt 'speed bumps' intentionally placed to 'calm traffic'. An inflatable cushion will do little for your comfort and as noted above can actually cause problems.

The best approach is to keep your feet on the floor and just before each 'bump' raise up a few inches off your seat and use your legs as shock absorbers. You'll be mostly traveling slowly on the dirt game 'trails' and the driver will slow even further as he approaches especially deep ruts, holes or bumps.

Another comment- consider wearing shoes that are easy to remove during game drives. You will rarely be allowed out of the vehicles but you will often want to stand on the seats to look out from the vehicle's pop top and shoes are not permitted on the seats (I left my shoes off during most game drives).
  • The seats were comfortable enough regardless of the terrain. You are much more likely to bounce you head off the side of the truck or edges of the ceiling opening than be bothered by bouncing in the seats if you are 6 foot or greater. I ended up taking off my boots and standing on the seats and spent most of the drives with my head out of the top. Was a much better view anyway!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file