Ideas for Sorrento and Florence

We're doing the Classic Italy tour Aug. 27th but have an extra day in Sorrento. We also notice the 2 days in Florence have a lot of free time. Any suggestions on what to see or do? We thought about a trip to Capri. Thanks

Comments

• For my trip on 2013, I really jam packed my itinerary. On my free day in Sorrento, I booked a private day trip to Capri. For Florence, on the night we arrived, I took a guided walking tour of Florence at night. After the morning visit to the Uffizi Museum, I decided to plan a side trip for myself to visit Pisa to visit the cathedral and tower. It took most of the day and I didn't get back to Florence till 8 or 9 PM. Hope this helps!
  • You can take a trip to Capri from Sorrento easily yourself; at the harbor you can find the aliscafi (hydrofoil - don't use the very slow ferries) that run pretty frequently back and forth. Or you can arrange a private tour to Amalfi, Positano, or Ravello (or some combination). And Sorrento itself is fun to wander through, especially if you like shopping for Italian goods.
  • In Florence, after visiting the Academia and seeing the spectacular statue of David, we asked our TD for directions to the San Lorenzo district, which was not far from where we already were. We lunched there at Za Za, a restaurant recommended by both our niece and the TD. We had fantastic spinach stuffed ravioli with a truffle sauce, also recommended by our niece, followed by delicious tiramisu. Afterwards, we toured the nearby lovely Medici Chapel with its wonderful tombs Night and Day and Dusk and Dawn by Michelangelo. Shopping and more sightseeing occupied the afternoon. There are a number of lovely shops along the Ponte Vecchio.
  • I would like more information on getting to Capri. Is a private trip the best option? Can this be done through the hotel?
  • if no one can answer this question, just call the hotel concierge before you leave.
  • We just got back from the Classic Italy tour large group and the hotel we stayed at in Sorrento had a back entrance right to the beach. From there it's easy to buy a ticket for the ferry to Capri. There was a man on the ferry selling tours for 25 euros that we passed up but others did and liked a lot. A few others on our trip hired a private taxi to take them around. We did it on our own but spent a lot of time waiting in line for tickets and missed the very top.
  • joffberg wrote:
    I would like more information on getting to Capri. Is a private trip the best option? Can this be done through the hotel?
    You can get there on your own. Just make sure you only get tickets for the fast ferry. I made the mistake of getting round trip on the slow ferry not knowing the return is not till around 6PM which was way too late. I got ticket for tour around island with the Blue Grotto included right across from the slow ferry then when I returned went to the top in the vinecular and went right to find a nice resturant with view of the water to look over map and decide what to do. Wasted most of the rest of my time there by trying to walk up to a sight only to find it way too far up hill to get to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file