Options

Titanic Belfast - Best of Ireland Tour

For anyone who has taken the Best of Ireland tour - how much time is spent at the Titanic Museum? Did you have time to explore on your own, or was it all with the group? I'm on the August 30, 2014 tour and my first trip with Tauck. Not sure when they say 'time to explore on your own', how much time that may be and if it is at the museum or in Belfast after the museum. I suspect the latter.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    schnapshi wrote:
    For anyone who has taken the Best of Ireland tour - how much time is spent at the Titanic Museum? Did you have time to explore on your own, or was it all with the group? I'm on the August 30, 2014 tour and my first trip with Tauck. Not sure when they say 'time to explore on your own', how much time that may be and if it is at the museum or in Belfast after the museum. I suspect the latter.

Thank you.

My wife and I just returned from the Best Of Ireland Tour. The Titanic Museum was for me the biggest unexpectedly pleasant surprise of the trip. This was extremely well done and covered the building of the Titanic as well as the voyage. It was excellent. The museum is self guided and at your own pace. It seemed like we had 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the museum and to get lunch on our own. The tour starts on the 4th floor and works down to the first floor where the two restaurants are located. The problem is that you have no way of knowing how to pace yourself in order to see the museum, get lunch and make it to the bus. Everyone I talked to wished they had more time so I would keep that in mind as you go. When we finally pulled ourselves away from the museum to get lunch the lines at the restaurants were pretty long but we managed get lunch but it was not a leisurely affair. One suggestion. That morning we left the hotel for the museum at 9:00 rather than the more usual 8:30. You might try to get your Tour Director to leave at 8:30 and spend the additional 1/2 hour at the museum. I made that recommendation to Tauck in my review of the tour. I hope you enjoy the Titanic Museaum as much as we did. What a great trip!

Greg Jones
  • Options
    Greg,
    I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the museum. I had been looking at TripAdvisor and the reviews, especially when it first opened were a little disappointing. They have improved in the last year. I am counting the days until departure.

If I can ask you another question, how was the weather. The temps look to be in the mid-60's, but are you moving enough that you do not feel the chill?

Thanks for the information.

Linda
  • Options
    schnapshi wrote:
    Greg,
    I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the museum. I had been looking at TripAdvisor and the reviews, especially when it first opened were a little disappointing. They have improved in the last year. I am counting the days until departure.

If I can ask you another question, how was the weather. The temps look to be in the mid-60's, but are you moving enough that you do not feel the chill?

Thanks for the information.

Linda

Hi Linda

We had great luck with the weather. The only day where it rained while we were actually out touring was at Kylemore Abby. We had rain a couple of times while driving in the bus but overall we had great weather. It did seem colder the day we were out in the rain but every one wore jackets and seemed fine with the temperatures which did not go up or down very much at all.

I read another of your posts about pre-tour time in Ennis and shopping. We got into Ennis two days early and enjoyed our Dinner at the Seasons 52 restaurant which you can Google right up. They had an early bird special from 5:00 to 7:00 PM but we were there somewhat later and the waitress offered it to us anyway. We also took a walking tour of Ennis which we enjoyed. The hotel can give you details. At the appointed hour you just meet up with the lady doing the tour in a small square and pay her directly.

On behalf of all the husbands on the tour let me say there are plenty of opportunities for shopping and multiple places where this will occur.

Hope you have great weather.

Greg Jones
  • Options
    Thank you Greg. I will check out the restaurant online.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file