Options

Reichsburg Castle

I am wondering if the trip to the castle for dinner is worthwhile or would the time be better spent enjoying dinner on the riverboat and enjoying the passing scenery. An earlier traveler commented that they would pass on the castle trip if they were to do it all over. I would appreciate any comments on this subject from other folks who have taken the trip.

Comments

• Options
    We took the Rhine and Moselle trip a few years ago. Looking at the itinerary, it doesn't look like it has changed (see day 5 itinerary below). Looks like you got some bad info somewhere or confused it with some other trip (you are on the Rhine and Moselle trip, right?). You don't have dinner at the castle, it is on the boat. The boat is not moving when you go to the castle, it's tied up in Cochem. The castle is at the top of the hill overlooking Cochem. The castle is worth seeing (imho), but much of it is reconstructed, not original. There are some steep ramps within the castle, so if you have mobility issues, it could be a challenge. Definitely don't skip the wine tasting. That was a trip highlight.

Day 5 Itinerary

This most engaging of Moselle and Rhine River cruises takes you along the Moselle River to Cochem today, where stepping ashore is like stepping into the pages of a medieval fairy tale. Visit picture-perfect, 1,000-year-old Gothic Reichsburg Castle, which looks down on Cochem's quaint market square from above. Explore this jewel of a town – complete with Baroque town hall and ancient town gates – breathing in its historic charm and ambiance on a walking tour as well as free time on your own. Honor the area’s centuries-old winemaking traditions with a tasting of the excellent locally produced vintages at the family-owned Schlagkamp Wine Museum before returning to the riverboat.

• Options
    While in Boppard we did have dinner at the Reichenstein Castle. It was a fun evening...typical touristy evening...long crowded tables with typical local food. Got to meet lots of people and had fun. If you are not into that; you can always stay on board the riverboat. Having the experience to do things like that is what makes for great memories!
  • Options
    Oh, I see the confusion now. You said Reichsburg, but meant Reichenstein on Day 8. I have no direct experience (the dinner was added after I took the trip), but I doubt dinner would be available on the boat (maybe by special arrangement). Remember that Tauck river boats are dedicated to Tauck river cruises . So if dinner is planned off the boat, they're not planning to serve it on the boat. Check with the cruise director if you're determined to skip it, but if it were me I'd go for it. It also appears that the boat will be tied up in Boppard during the dinner, so no scenery to see.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hi, Lilycat,

I was the original poster who said that if I had it to do over again, I would stay on the riverboat and sail between Boppard and Koblenz and skip the dinner at Reichenstein Castle. I'd like to provide some additional clarifications.

Let me first say that our wonderful Cruise Director Jeremy reminded us on several occasions to tailor the cruise per our individual preferences. Tauck plans many activities, and if one tried to do them all, it would be a very active trip and would be tiring for some. It is wise to pick and choose what most interests you and be sure to include at least some time for relaxing. For us, scenic relaxing is the best and that most definitely includes seeing beautiful scenery while sailing on the riverboat.

We were on the northbound trip, which is slightly different than the southbound trip. One of the highlights of our trip was sailing by the castles between Bingen and Boppard on the Middle Rhine. One of the first castles we saw in the morning was the Reichenstein, where we would have dinner later in the day. The boat docked later in the day in Boppard. From Boppard we were bused back to Reichenstein Castle for dinner. It was a one hour drive, along the river and we could once again see the castles that we had sailed by earlier in the day. Some would be consider this an extra treat.

It was sprinkling when we arrived at the Castle. The reception was moved inside and space was limited for 130 people. There were wine, beer, and pretzel sticks at the reception. The castle guide started providing commentary about what we were seeing in each room in the castle, but the crowd was so large that we could not see into each room as she was speaking. The herds of people moved in mass and it was somewhat chaotic. A Tauck tour director tried to discuss the situation with the castle guide, who was disrespectful to the Tauck tour director. The castle guide's inappropriate comments were overhead on the amplification system. Everyone finally got seated for the dinner. The food quality was mediocre. We met some new people during dinner, and very much enjoyed the company. The entertainment during dinner was corny, but fun. After dinner we piled back into the buses and it was a 1.5 hour trip back to the riverboat, which had moved between Boppard and Koblenz while we were gone.

There were castles that we missed between Boppard and Koblenz, and we would have enjoyed cruising that portion of the Rhine more than we enjoyed the Reichenstein Castle dinner. For the northbound trip, I think Tauck should find a place around Koblenz to hold the banquet dinner. Others may prefer the itinerary as currently offered. The southbound trip most likely has significantly less than a 2.5 hour round trip by bus to the castle dinner, since the castle is at the south end of the Middle Rhine. Thus the Reichenstein Castle dinner probably is better suited to the southbound trip.

If one skipped the castle dinner, most likely one could not have a full dinner onboard the riverboat. The kitchen and dining crew are most likely given a well-deserved the evening off, since it is assumed all passengers are at the castle dinner. Still, if I had it to do over again, I would most likely take a "doggie bag" from lunch and enjoy the beautiful Rhine between Boppard and Koblenz. Different strokes for different folks...

It is nice to have choices, and it is great that we all enjoy different things. It makes life more interesting. Our favorite museum during the trip was the Kroller-M u l l e r. Others probably preferred the Rijksmuseum. Tauck has plenty for everyone to enjoy.
  • Options
    RLMSLL wrote:
    Hi, Lilycat,

I was the original poster who said that if I had it to do over again, I would stay on the riverboat and sail between Boppard and Koblenz and skip the dinner at Reichenstein Castle. I'd like to provide some additional clarifications.

Let me first say that our wonderful Cruise Director Jeremy reminded us on several occasions to tailor the cruise per our individual preferences. Tauck plans many activities, and if one tried to do them all, it would be a very active trip and would be tiring for some. It is wise to pick and choose what most interests you and be sure to include at least some time for relaxing. For us, scenic relaxing is the best and that most definitely includes seeing beautiful scenery while sailing on the riverboat.

We were on the northbound trip, which is slightly different than the southbound trip. One of the highlights of our trip was sailing by the castles between Bingen and Boppard on the Middle Rhine. One of the first castles we saw in the morning was the Reichenstein, where we would have dinner later in the day. The boat docked later in the day in Boppard. From Boppard we were bused back to Reichenstein Castle for dinner. It was a one hour drive, along the river and we could once again see the castles that we had sailed by earlier in the day. Some would be consider this an extra treat.

It was sprinkling when we arrived at the Castle. The reception was moved inside and space was limited for 130 people. There were wine, beer, and pretzel sticks at the reception. The castle guide started providing commentary about what we were seeing in each room in the castle, but the crowd was so large that we could not see into each room as she was speaking. The herds of people moved in mass and it was somewhat chaotic. A Tauck tour director tried to discuss the situation with the castle guide, who was disrespectful to the Tauck tour director. The castle guide's inappropriate comments were overhead on the amplification system. Everyone finally got seated for the dinner. The food quality was mediocre. We met some new people during dinner, and very much enjoyed the company. The entertainment during dinner was corny, but fun. After dinner we piled back into the buses and it was a 1.5 hour trip back to the riverboat, which had moved between Boppard and Koblenz while we were gone.

There were castles that we missed between Boppard and Koblenz, and we would have enjoyed cruising that portion of the Rhine more than we enjoyed the Reichenstein Castle dinner. For the northbound trip, I think Tauck should find a place around Koblenz to hold the banquet dinner. Others may prefer the itinerary as currently offered. The southbound trip most likely has significantly less than a 2.5 hour round trip by bus to the castle dinner, since the castle is at the south end of the Middle Rhine. Thus the Reichenstein Castle dinner probably is better suited to the southbound trip.

If one skipped the castle dinner, most likely one could not have a full dinner onboard the riverboat. The kitchen and dining crew are most likely given a well-deserved the evening off, since it is assumed all passengers are at the castle dinner. Still, if I had it to do over again, I would most likely take a "doggie bag" from lunch and enjoy the beautiful Rhine between Boppard and Koblenz. Different strokes for different folks...

It is nice to have choices, and it is great that we all enjoy different things. It makes life more interesting. Our favorite museum during the trip was the Kroller-M u l l e r. Others probably preferred the Rijksmuseum. Tauck has plenty for everyone to enjoy.
  • Options
    Hi RLMSLL,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question about the castle tour. We really appreciate your detailed explanation. We are also taking the northbound trip. We have toured many castles on prior trips and are inclined to strongly consider remaining on the boat and enjoying the beautiful scenery. We can certainly do with a lighter evening snack for one night!!

I did in fact have the wrong castle in my original comment. Thanks to whoever clarified that for me.

Our last travel experience was to Italy with another well respected tour company. We came home so exhausted that we would not even consider taking another European trip for a long period of time. This is not how we want this trip to turn out.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your detailed comments.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    To Lilycat and RLMSLL,

RLMSLL- Thanks for your detailed and carefully written post.
    On these forums I think it would help if people gave their travel background as a preview to their post. Some people have traveled extensively all over the world and taken many Tauck trips. Others have taken one trip to Upper Smorgasbord and rated the trip one star. When reading their post, you can tell most of their problems were caused by their own lack of preparation and lack of travel experience.

My background- I have traveled to 81 nations. My wife and I have taken one Tauck river tour. It was the Blue Danube last Aug. 22.

To put it very simply, the Tauck tour was wonderful. We immediately signed up for the Rhine & Moselle for Sept. 12. 2014.

The tour director and her two assistants worked themselves almost to the point of exhaustion to take care of their guests and make sure everyone was happy. You can totally relax and have a good time because whatever problems you have, they have already solved the same problems many, many times before. Tauck guides are very, very experienced. Examples- When walking through the old towns the Tauck staff let us have our freedom but if you looked carefully, you could see them 100 yards away making sure we were OK. One couple got tired of the cobblestones. A staff member called them a cab and paid the cab to take them back to the ship. They were always handing out coins for the toilets, etc., etc., etc.. So relax and have fun.

Lilycat- We are on the same tour as you on Sept.12th. We are also thinking of skipping the castle dinner and staying onboard for the Moselle scenery. If they don’t serve dinner, we will also take a doggie bag from lunch and put it in the room refrigerator. They also have 3-4 different snack choices that can be delivered to your room, Nuts, cheese and crackers, fruit, etc.. We are in cabin #206 and are looking forward to meeting you.
  • Options
    We took our first Tauck river cruise last month on the Rhone. On the night we were to go to dinner off the boat at the Pont du Gard, one couple was really tired and wanted to skip the dinner. They told us the next day that the crew had prepared them a simple dinner (Caesar Salad) and they enjoyed a quiet evening in. In Avignon, a group of guys were more interested in playing golf than touring another castle/church. The Tauck directors arranged for them to go to a local golf course to play a round, called them a cab, etc.

One of the things I loved about our river cruise experience is that you aren't forced to go to every activity if you'd prefer an alternative. The Tauck directors were great at working with you. We are booked the Rhine Moselle for next year so I'll be interested in hearing your experiences.

• Options
    I am also on the Sept. 12th riverboat cruise of Rhine and Moselle. Have not yet received a travelers list, but if anyone else is on that trip, I'd like to hear from you!
  • Options
    To Lilycat and RLMSLL,

On these forums I think it would help if people gave their travel background as a preview to their post. Some people have traveled extensively all over the world and taken many Tauck trips. Others have taken one trip to Upper Smorgasbord and rated the trip one star. When reading their post, you can tell most of their problems were caused by their own lack of preparation and lack of travel experience.

My background- I have traveled to 81 nations. My wife and I have taken one Tauck river tour. It was the Blue Danube last Aug. 22.

To put it very simply, the Tauck tour was wonderful. We immediately signed up for the Rhine & Moselle for Sept. 12. 2014.

The tour director and her two assistants worked themselves almost to the point of exhaustion to take care of their guests and make sure everyone was happy. You can totally relax and have a good time because whatever problems you have, they have already solved the same problems many, many times before. Tauck guides are very, very experienced. Examples- When walking through the old towns the Tauck staff let us have our freedom but if you looked carefully, you could see them 100 yards away making sure we were OK. One couple got tired of the cobblestones. A staff member called them a cab and paid the cab to take them back to the ship. They were always handing out coins for the toilets, etc., etc., etc.. So relax and have fun.

Lilycat- We are on the same tour as you on Sept.12th. We are also thinking of skipping the castle dinner and staying onboard for the Moselle scenery. If they don’t serve dinner, we will also take a doggie bag from lunch and put it in the room refrigerator. They also have 3-4 different snack choices that can be delivered to your room, Nuts, cheese and crackers, fruit, etc.. We are in cabin #206 and are looking forward to meeting you.

Going, going, gone - thanks for your post. Looking forward to meeting you also - we are in cabin #7. We are neighbors! We will be arriving in Basel a day early to acclimate ourselves to the time change. It sounds like it will be a wonderful trip. This will be our first trip with Tauck and have heard nothing but rave reviews. Our travel experience with other tour companies has always been excellent. See you in Basel.
  • Options
    Sue wrote:
    I am also on the Sept. 12th riverboat cruise of Rhine and Moselle. Have not yet received a travelers list, but if anyone else is on that trip, I'd like to hear from you!

Hi Sue - my husband and I will also be on the Sept 12th trip. We are from CT. We will travel a day early to Basel to get acclimated to the time change and do some sightseeing. Looking forward to meeting you.
  • Options
    To Lilycat and RLMSLL,

Hi Again - typo correction, we are in cabin #207
  • Options
    Hi Lilykat and Sue,

We live on eastern Long Island, NY The "North Fork".

We are going to spend our extra free day, (compliments of Tauck), in Amsterdam.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the small store on the ship. On the Sept.12th trip we could hit extra warm or extra cold days. In our limited luggage space it is more difficult to pack for a wide temp. range so I thought I'd mention the store. Last year on the Aug. 22nd Blue Danube we had some cold rainy days. I purchased a dark navy blue windbreaker. It has the name Swiss Sapphire and three small flags on the left breast. It has become my favorite jacket and I plan to purchase another on this trip. See you soon.

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file