Options

On-Board Power

I'm on the Danube Reflections Eastbound and I'm completely confused as to availability of power to operate my curling iron and recharge my iPhone and iPad. I've heard the term "adaptor" bantied about -- isn't that just the do-hickey that allows an American plug configuration to plug into a European plug configuration? How will that keep a 110 gadget from blowing up when plugged into 220 power? I've also heard there may be a need to bring your own transformer. Now I lived in Europe (Belgium) for two years, and the transformers we used were easily 20-30 pounds; that can't be what they mean! So! What's the deal? What do I need to bring, and what's already on the riverboat?

Comments

• Options
    Hello Ms Charlotte,

Electric current in the areas visited is 220 volts. There are two 110-volt outlets per cabin on the riverboats; Category 7 suites have three 110-volt outlets.

While it will be necessary for you to use a special adaptor plug to fit the wall outlets featured locally,
    most consumer electronics no longer require the use of a voltage converter/transformer along with the adaptor plug. (Most electronics now self convert an can actually be damaged by using an additional converter.)

Adaptor plugs can be purchased at many consumer electronic stores, through online travel accessory suppliers, and in retail locations at many airports. The adapter converts 2 prong polarized US plug to European 4mm round pin. Hair straighteners and curling irons will require a converter unless there is a current switch on the device.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    I'm still confused - if the outlets in the cabins are 110 then I assume no adaptor is needed to charge IPhones. Is this a correct assumption?
    Thank you
  • Options
    I'm still confused - if the outlets in the cabins are 110 then I assume no adaptor is needed to charge IPhones. Is this a correct assumption?
    Thank you

Not a correct assumption- Adapters allow devices with one style of plug (e.g. US plugs with two parallel blades or two parallel blades and a ground pin) to be used with receptacles (outlets) in another country. If you Google international plugs you'll see there are all sorts of plug/outlet pin and blade sizes and configurations around the world- there is no international standard. It has nothing to do with the voltage.

A Converter is used to change one countries outlet voltage (e.g. 230V in most of the world) to some other voltage (e.g. 110V used in the US.

In some cases you may need both a converter and an adapter.

Your iPhone charger is likely dual voltage (it will say so on the wall wort) so it will work on 110V or 230V, but the plugs will likely not fit the receptacle (outlet).

Without an adapter, the two prong US plug on the left can't be used with the European receptacles (outlets) on the right. It just won't fit.

220px-A_plug.jpg70100x45.jpg76101x45..jpg

Dual voltage (110V/230V) devices with US plugs can be used, however, without an adapter, with special international multi-configuration outlets like the one below that are starting to appear in some newer European hotels, etc. but they are not widespread.

74900x45-W.jpg
  • Options
    To expand on what Emily said- most modern, SMALL consumer "electronic" devices (smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.) and some small "electrical" devices (electric shavers, toothbrushes, etc.) are dual voltage. Check to be sure.

Please don't confuse these devices with larger "electrical" devices (curling irons, hair dryers, clothes irons, etc.) and large electronic devices such as TVs, stereos, etc. which generally are not dual voltage. You can easily burn up a 110V hair dryer by attempting to use it with 230V!
  • Options
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. I understand now the need for an adaptor for the riverboat.
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I think I've got it straight now! My iPhone should be fine (with plug adapter), and I've purchased a curling iron that automatically changes from 110 to 220 (also with a plug adapter) That should have me all set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file