Options

Yellow Fever Vaccination

I was on the CDC website and it doesn't say that the yellow fever vaccination is required. I have a friend who went on this tour in February and he told me he had a reaction to the shot. Yet, my doctors office told me they didn't know anyone who had a reaction to the shot.

Is everyone getting a Yellow Fever vaccination?

Comments

• Options
    coby wrote:
    I was on the CDC website and it doesn't say that the yellow fever vaccination is required. I have a friend who went on this tour in February and he told me he had a reaction to the shot. Yet, my doctors office told me they didn't know anyone who had a reaction to the shot.

Is everyone getting a Yellow Fever vaccination?

It is a confusing issue. Our health professional said it is not 'required' under our cicumstances. If you look at the Tanzania Embassy website it says it is required if you have been in a yellow fever area ... like Kenya. But we are going to Tanzania first, unless we miss our connecting flight. But, even then, if you just connect to another flight in Nairobi, not required. Unless that flight is delayed or cancelled, before you eventually end up in Kenya ... where they have yellow fever. Why would you not get the shot? We got the shots, and it takes some time, and it is not as easy as getting a flu shot! The reason congress was not in session in the summer in the 'old' days .... yellow fever. And do I want some guy on the night shift in Tanzania who may make the TSA look like Mensa members deciding that I need a yellow fever shot? No!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sealord wrote:
    And do I want some guy on the night shift in Tanzania who may make the TSA look like Mensa members deciding that I need a yellow fever shot? No!
    Excellent point, Sealord. And would you want to risk a needle in a situation like that? Hep, A, B, C, HIV … all sorts of charming little extras could be yours without even asking. My issue would be that I would not be let back in again when I went home. Quelle horreur! Well, I would, eventually, but who wants that kerfuffle after a long haul flight. Not me.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I'm working on cutting and pasting some travel info to this message for your further thought. This is for Tanzania

" All travellers coming from endemic countries are required to produce evidence of yellow fever vaccination. Travellers from non-endemic countries travelling through endemic countries are subject to yellow fever vaccination only if they stay outside the airport or have a long connection up to 12 hours."

So technically it is not "REQUIRED" by the country, that is different to not been "RECOMMENDED" I got my yellow fever vaccine on my first trip to Africa and I am about to go on my third trip, so I do not have to worry about another vaccine, in fact, latest research says that you no longer require a ten year booster, it lasts a lifetime. There has never been a reported case of yellow fever from anyone who has had a vaccine in their lifetime whether it be way past ten years or not. Further research told me when I looked some time ago shows that it depends on whichever health authorities you look at as to whether they still recommend the second vaccine.

"Malaria and dengue fever are common to Tanzania. There have also been recent cases of sleeping sickness occurring after bites from tsetse flies in the north, including the Serengeti. Other diseases, such as cholera and rift valley fever, occur mostly in rural areas where access to sanitation is limited"

I thought I would try to find some information on how many travelers get Yellow fever per year, but I guess this depends on when there are outbreaks if any each year. if I find figures, I'll post them.
    Malaria is different, quite a few Americans get malaria each year, even the gorgeous George Clooney got it, and he was quite ill!

What kind of "reaction" are we talking about to the yellow fever vaccine did the Dr. mean, it could have been as minor as a sore arm.

I feel so sorry for all our poor scientists busting their guts for years and years to help us be immune to all these diseases and then we fob off a single injection that might save our lives.

so here is a link that is from April this year https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/306941/Green_Book_Chapter_35_v3_3.pdf

This shows the risks. You and your Dr. should make the decisions, I really should not be making a choice or decision for you, as no one else should be on this site. We can provide some thoughts to consider, that's all

• Options
    I'm going to be 60 in March. Do a lot of travelers over 60 get shots for the first time?
  • Options
    coby wrote:
    I'm going to be 60 in March. Do a lot of travelers over 60 get shots for the first time?
    Yes! I don't think the carriers can tell your age. And I doubt they'd care, anyway. How did you ever manage to attain the age of 60 without having any shots? It's a wonder diphtheria didn't get you when you were tiny tot. Or whooping cough, or measles or mumps or polio or TB or …. or…..

Speak to your professionally qualified medical practitioner. You require medical facts not anecdotes. Then you can travel with Tauck and rejoice in the wonders of Africa in peace.
  • Options
    What I meant was the Yellow Fever shot. Does everyone get the Yellow Fever shot for the first time over 60?
  • Options
    Hi Coby,

Whether or not you get any particular non-required vaccination is, of course, your choice, and is something that should be discussed with a healthcare professional familiar with your medical history. At Tauck, we generally advise that people get vaccinations for any endemic diseases that might either impede your travel experience, or that you might potentially end up bringing home with you if you decide not to get a vaccine. We also advise that you check the CDC and WHO websites for more information.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    Thanks Tim...it does help!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file