necessary clothing for trip

I'm going to Peru and Bolivia on the July '14 trip, winter time there. Would I need a winter jacket, heavy sweater, or fleece type jacket for the cold weather?

Comments

• edited June 2014
    If you go to the page for your trip here on the Tauck site, click on the Before You Go tab, and scroll down … you will find information of the weather and suggestions for what to pack.

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited June 2014
    Jan, I checked the sight regarding what to bring, however, online they say the weather may be around 39-45 degrees at night. What are your thoughts? Have you been there?
  • The land of the Incas has been on my list since since my early teen years. So far, I have made it to Peru or Bolivia, but I have been to other mountain areas. My best suggestion, until someone who has been responds to you, is to wear layers. You might spend your entire day putting layers on and taking them off, but that is the nature of the beast. As for the evening temperatures Tauck indicates on the trip's page … I'd take them as an average of night temperatures. You can easily research further details on the net. But I wonder, how much will you be out and about in that temperature in the evenings? Won't you be tucked up in your lodgings enjoying dinner, company or sleeping. Not all at the same time, of course! Falling asleep in the soup is messy at the best of times.

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited June 2014
    I think you have to know how your body normally responds to the temperatures you know you are likely to encounter.
    For me, when Tauck say a light jacket is required then I know that I personally will be fine without a coat. On several Tauck tours we have looked around and see that the vast majority of the group are wearing far more layers than we are and we feel comfortable, it's not because we don't have another layer to put on if we need it. We put this down to being born in England where we grew up with no heating In most of the house apart from a fireplace in a living room. At 39 to 45 degrees F if I am walking briskly outside I do not need a coat. I find other people's American homes too warm in Winter and I guess that's why if we compare heating bills, mine are always lower. Same with my water bills, a long shower for me is 5 minutes. So what I am saying is, you know your body. So dress as you would at home for those temperatures, don't rely on others and what they need, they are not you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file