Options

2014 Danube Christmas Market Cruise

In reading past posts re this cruise I noticed several comments about how river conditions can affect the cruise. For example if the river is too high or low then alternate methods of transportation may be used. I am wondering if a anyone has experienced this, and what are some of those other methods?

Second, where can we get information about river conditions before leaving home?

Lastly, one of our party of four has what I would call severe issues with motion sickness. Has anyone else been in that situation, and if so, what measures did you take to help?

We are so looking forward to the trip. We are on the 12/6 departure from Vienna to Nuremburg. Looks like an incredible trip.

John

Comments

• Options
    I just did a quick search, which you could do, just one thing I found here as an example, I assume this is what Tauck would do

"A couple of things can be done: In the case of low water levels, guests (and even crew) can be taken off the ship to reduce the weight. If this is successful, the ship sails on to the next available port, and guests can typically re-board the ship.

In the case of high water levels, the options are somewhat more limited. After increasing ballast to the available load limit, there is little that can be done. In the past, several river cruise lines have had success in offloading guests from one ship and bussing them to the next available ship that the company has along the waterway (remember: There are likely people stuck on the other side of the bridge or lock you’re waiting to traverse).

In some cases, the cruise line will spring for hotels and operate the rest of the tour as a land-based bus tour."

Like I said, this may not be what Tauck does, I would call to ask them. It also says that conditions on the rivers change quickly, so it is unlikely that checking conditions before you go would necessarily be accurate. From reading on the posts on other parts of the forum, remember that many sites are not on the river, so it would probably include some bussing anyway. I hope that 's Ok for your severely motion sick friend. I have never been on a Tauck river cruise, I'm saving those for when I get too tired or frail for the more exotic locations or get fed up of moving to different hotels. So I do not know if this tour has all the sites by the river, hopefully someone will post info for you, or call Tauck---did you check the itinerary to see what it says about location of sites --- does it say something like---today, a short bus ride to such and such a market----these are all clues for you.
    Maybe your friend should see a Dr about the best thing to do or take for motion sickness, it may depend on any other drugs she routinely takes, good luck!
  • Options
    Although we have taken several tours with Tauck and know that they are top of the line, our 2010 Danube Christmas Market cruise was with GCT, and it was affected by high water levels. Our cruise was from Vienna to Nuremburg. However, there had been severe flooding caused by melting snow, and we were unable to proceed beyond Passau. Therefore, we spent two extra nights there on the boat because the boat could not go under some of the bridges. We were taken by coach to Regensburg the next day where we were each given a very generous $20. for lunch since we would not be dining on the boat. After our full scheduled tour there, we returned by coach to the boat for another night. We were able to go by boat the following morning to the next town where we completely disembarked, got on another coach, and rode to Nuremburg for our full tour there. A lovely lunch was provided for us in a very nice restaurant and we spent that night in a nice hotel with dinner provided. The following morning those not taking a tour extension flew home. Because they were unable to provided us with the full riverboat experience, GCT credited each couple with a $500. credit, good for a future tour. We felt that we were treated very fairly and have since used that credit.

Riverboat cruising is very gentle, unlike ocean cruising. No one in our party of 10 was bothered by motion sickness, and I do not personally know of anyone on the boat who was. Despite the fact that melting snow caused the flooding to begin with, that winter was a very cold one, so the proper clothing for cold weather is a must! Have fun on your cruise! We dearly love the riverboat tours.
  • Options
    To British and Loves Travel: thanks a lot for your replies. They were helpful and I appreciate it.
  • Options
    My husband and I suffer from severe motion sickness. We always bring along patches, which are the only thing that works for us. We have never needed them on a riverboat cruise.
  • Options
    To Sidecar: thanks. I got a prescription for the patch, and also for a drug called Compazine. The latter seems to be heavy duty and maybe overkill. Anyway thanks for the feedback on the patch. Guess I will bring them, and wait and see if I need it.
  • Options
    This is indeed a powerful drug. If I were you I would try a dose sometime before you do your trip to be sure it suits you. That's all I'm saying!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I recently did an expedition cruise to Macquarie Island. For those of you who don't know where that is, it's a tiny speck of Australian territory, actually part of Tasmania, half way between Tasmania and mainland Antarctica. There is a lot of Big Ocean along the way. There are a lot of strong and peculiar currents along the way as well. I soldiered on (well, not really but I'm putting a spin on it) for 3 days before I got a jab in the bum and patches from the Doctor. The stematil I'd brought with me was useless. Ginger? Best place for that is in ginger snaps! Useless, too. The patches worked, for oceans that were huge and confused.

I did a river trip a few years ago. I didn't need any medication, over-the-counter or prescription. I never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable, let alone unwell. I am prone to car sickness, but never if I'm actually driving. The back of the bus on a winding road with an uneven surface can be torture and catastrophic. (Like the road into Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Pray for a kind and thoughtful TD, rather than the one I had.) I had no problem on the Isabella in the Galapagos, or on the old, Alaskan Inside Passage trip. It is a very individual thing. But to me, the riverboat didn't seem to have any motion at all, bar the wind on the top deck. The earth just seemed to move magically, from place to place … like a hotel with a different view each morning. I have 2 more river trips booked. While I do have some trepidation about riverboat trips per se, it has nothing to do with motion sickness.

Unless you suffer from an underlying complaint that would affect you anywhere, I really doubt you'd need more than your regular medication.

Qualification: I am not medically qualified.

I hope you have a fabulous trip.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file