Options

Any ideas on buying tanzanite?

Has anyone tried buying a piece of tanzanite jewelry? Anyone tried to buy it in Arusha?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I think I remember reading that the best place is the cultural center in Arusha. The recommended guide book, Northern Tanzania, on the Tauck list mentions specific places and warns against buying tanzanite rings because it is soft and scratches easily, which I know is true. You can try asking the tour director who is not allowed to endorse anywhere but they usually point you in the right direction for anything you are particularly interested in. I have a fake tanzanite ring that people rave about, even jewellery enthusiasts, that suits my budget!
  • Options
    Hi GayleGeorge...Probably the best article I have read on the current situation regarding tanzanite was written by Deogratis Mushi entitled “Tanzania: Tanzanite’s Good Future for Economy”. It was published on line in All Africa. To find the article, type the following into your browser:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201312060624.html

We were in Arusha for the third time in January 2014. On prior trips, we did not have time to walk the town. This trip we stayed at the Arusha Hotel on the clock tower circle in the downtown. A number of local merchants had tanzanite jewelry but we were leery of buying. Although there were six of us, none had any significant experience with gem stones, in general, or tanzanite, in particular. We really were not sure what we were looking at.

We spoke to a number of people of the street. They are very friendly and curious people. The subject of tanzanite came up several times. We all said we were interested in learning more about the stones. We were directed to the Tanzanite Experience on the third floor (walk up) of the Blue Plaza Building on India Street. We were given an informative tour of the different types and grades of tanzanite. We were then given an opportunity to buy tanzanite. None of us chose to do so. I’m not sure why the other two couples declined but I do know my wife’s taste in gemstones runs in a different direction.

I have been to nearly every corner of Africa except the Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia. When I am being hustled into a suspicious purchase, the merchant never, ever gives up the sale without an aggressive negotiation. There was none of that at the Tanzanite Experience. Our decisions were not questioned or argued. We were thanked for our interest in tanzanite and for our time in taking the tour.

I’m not sure I have answered your questions but, hopefully, our experience will be helpful….Leo M.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file