Options

electrical adapters for Tanzania and Kenya

I am pretty sure I have the correct adapters, but am going to ask some veterans of this tour to Tanzania and Kenya. Did you use the "G" adapter (UK type)? The only other possibility I see is the "D" type adapter, but I think the "G" is the correct one. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ndvb wrote:
    I am pretty sure I have the correct adapters, but am going to ask some veterans of this tour to Tanzania and Kenya. Did you use the "G" adapter (UK type)? The only other possibility I see is the "D" type adapter, but I think the "G" is the correct one. Thanks.

ndvb, I can't help you with the adapter specifics for Tanzania and Kenya. When I was in the Navy I used a set that contains a half dozen adapters, a small converter, and a carry pouch. I was never positive what adapter(s) I would need so took them all- taking up more space and weight than necessary.

I just ordered this adapter from Amazon for around $6 that will hopefully meet all my requirements. It should be here tomorrow so I can take it with me to the Alps.

The listing says it works worldwide: United States, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South America, Asia, Caribbean, Great Britain, Ireland, Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, China, Japan, and more than 150 countries.

Unused pins can be stowed or folded and locked out of the way. It is also a surge protector.

41uuRqsbICL._SX425_.jpg

41GTH-guaAL._SX425_.jpg

41np7N%2BuTbL._SX425_.jpg

I'll update this post after I get it.
  • Options
    Thanks. I just ordered a couple. I am pretty sure it will work. If not, I hope the hotel has a couple to loan out.

I've only jumped once and on that jump the Marines (I was a Navy Corpsman) convinced me to do a night jump into the water. Not the brightest move in the world, but I survived. Since then, I have had no interest in jumping out of a perfectly good plane. I was shot down in three helicopters in Vietnam and I figure that was my test of fate. I enjoy a bit of a challenge and pushing the envelope, but I prefer to do it with my feet on the ground, or at least close to the ground.

I am starting to pack stuff up and see what room I will have for clothes after the electronics. I told the grandkids they could each take one of the GoPros and video whatever they want on some of the excursions. It will be interesting to see what a 7 and 6 year old think is important to video. Editing will be fun.

I am also giving the 7 year old her grandmother's old camera. I pulled it out and there was a smart card in it with photographs from our last tours in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. It was a bit of a mixed bag to look at them. Nice to see her in some pictures, but tough to be reminded she won't be on these trips.

Again, thanks for the tip on the adapter....it looks like a good thing. I can't believe I wasn't able to find the adapters I took to the UK. I found several adapters from the continent, but no UK ones. Oh well....its just money.

Take care.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think your wife must have put those adapters somewhere safe where you'd be bound to find them. I am convinced my Dad has them all in stitches upstairs with the pranks he plays on me. Hiding things in plain sight is his speciality. And occasionally I swear I get a whiff of his smelly feet. :-0

What a nice idea to share your wife's camera with the small fry. I think she will enjoy the adventure.

Of course, my Irish heritage informs these fey notions. ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Think it would be a good idea to take an old fashioned three pin British style plug with round pins instead of square pins too. They are mentioned in the new Tauck recommended guide book I think. I have certainly read it somewhere this past week as I catch up on some new Tanzania/Africa reading before my trip.i really cannot remember what we found in Tanzania before but my husband just said he remembers seeing both types in South Africa. We have this type of plug in our travel kit from way back, I have no clue what letter of the alphabet they are which is why I did not comment last night. I purchased the Monster adapter that I think Alan so kindly recommend, it came this week and we loved it and hope to only need one outlet to charge our electrics. So sorry, have no clue how to attach a photo of type of plug I mean, but it is the more old version of a 13 amp plug, the sort that was in the old house I was raised in. May well be the type of plug found in an older lodge where electric not updated for a while.
  • Options
    You can thank joycesw, she turned me on to the Monster power strip.

Just out of curiosity, I went to the Wikipedia page for power adapters- Wow, what a collection- different standards, even between neighboring countries, complicated further by a mix of new and legacy receptacles within countries!

It seems each country decided what safety, convenience, appearance, etc. features THEIR country needed, and went their own way. Before WW II, foreign visitors wouldn't be carrying electrical/electronic devices that we can't seem to live without these days. Thank goodness the electronics industry decided to help us all out by supplying our computers, tablets, etc, with dual voltage power supplies and chargers. More and more hotels are also trying to help by including multiple configuration outlets in rooms.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    UPDATE: The mult-country adapter came today. It looks exactly as in my post above. Should work great and is a keeper!
  • Options
    Alan, this adapter does not have the three pin round plug on it, but again, I cannot remember if there will only be plugs with round pins on the K and T tour, hopefully someone who has been recently will comment.
  • Options
    I sent the picture to the concierge at the Lake Duluti Hotel and he said it is the correct adapter.
  • Options
    My brand new guide book by someone who also has his own Safari business in Tanzania and lives there clearly says both types of plug may be encountered. Since you are so good at emailing photos compared to my skills, suggest you do the same thing to all the hotels just in case, or purchase the extra one, it will be useful for trips to other African countries for sure. Once you have done this safari, I think your next trip may be South Africa, the safaris there are a whole different experience.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Heck, all you need is two short wires- insulation removed from one end so you can stuff it in any size/shape of outlet hole and alligator clips on the other ends to clip onto the prongs of your appliance cord! :) (and for good measure, you could also stand in the shower while doing this! :) )

11285518.gif

nvdb - Don't forget, you now have two important tasks for this trip (so I can enjoy my trip next year)- verify the type of receptacles in Kenya and Tanzania and check out Business Class on Ethiopian Airlines.

I know it would likely take at least one full time moderator to do this, but it would be nice if Tauck could designate certain posts/threads as "sticky" so they are always on top and never age out, or better yet, after editing, etc. put the better ones, in a separate "Tauck Traveler's Before You Go" or ". . . Nice to Know," etc. sub forum, one for each area trip forum. They could contain traveler (non-company) provided answers to the most common questions- e.g. "What should I do/what is there to see if I arrive X days early?" "What should I wear?" etc., etc. It could also include links to multi-media blogs like the one by Nick of Skara Brae, Leo's fabulous ones, or the post with the list of recommended pre-trip reading material and movies. It would need to be reviewed and updated periodically. There is a lot of good info on this site if anyone is willing and knows how to find it. I think most of the regulars have probably answered some of the same questions many times.

As long as I'm offering suggestions, I might as well add one more that came to mind yesterday as I was looking at the forecast, or, as my wife claims, obsessing over the weather in the Alps. I wonder when the last time Tauck updated the climatological data in the "Before You Go" Weather? Global warming appears to be a fact- last summer the UK and most of central Europe had unseasonably warm weather- I didn't need that sweater! I noticed that a lot of rain is forecast (bummer!) for the Alps in the coming weeks, but the temperatures are forecast to be higher again.

Time to put the computer down and get busy! I've got a few little projects I need to complete and then it is time to start thinking about packing! Only 3 days, 1 hour, 41 min. and 5 secs. to go! Yippee!
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    UPDATE: The mult-country adapter came today. It looks exactly as in my post above. Should work great and is a keeper!

Great! Nice looking compact option. I ordered one.
  • Options
    Yep, some of these rooms answer a lot of questions....we should get a discount for our work.

I bought a Monster PowerCenter 500 surge protector today. The box says it is "dual mode" but I don't see anything anywhere that states the voltage it accepts. I tried to call them, but it is a weekend and no one was home.'

I'll check Monday. I have several of the ones you show above and they'll work. It would be nice to just use one strip for everything.

If I hear any bad yodeling in the next couple of weeks I know where it came from.

Well, I need to start sorting things out to see if I have any room for clothing after I pack the electronics and photo equipment. I am sure I'll be fine.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip AlanS.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Same to you. Have a great trip!

(Hand slaps forehead!) My brain finally started working while driving home today (I was out buying a hot shoe-to-tripod mount adapter so I can stack my GoPro on top of my DSLR.) As to the reports of two types of 220 volt receptacles being used in some/many non-US hotels- D'oh, of course there are!!!!! We saw it in many of the hotels in the UK on the E, S, W trip last summer.

One outlet is for little stuff (devices drawing low current like phone, tablet, camera chargers, etc.) while the other receptacle, with a different pin configuration is for devices drawing higher current- hair dryers, pants steamers, curling irons, etc. If I remember correctly, the amperage switchover point between the two is much lower than it is in the US where a standard household 120V receptacle will handle up to 15 Amps- that covers most electrical devices found in the home- devices I mentioned above and even many appliances like microwave and toaster overs, crock pots, electric frying pans, etc. etc., etc.

I haven't looked at the adapters and don't remember from last summer, so can't say if other countries follow the same practice as the US (I suspect not). But, US two prong (ungrounded/double insulated) or three prong (grounded) 120V/15A plugs can be inserted into US 120V/20A US receptacles (just not the reverse.) I doubt many of you have ever seen or knowingly used a 120V/20A plug or receptacle except at Home Depot.

This is probably way more electrical info than anyone ever wanted or cares to know! :)
  • Options
    Upon further reading the "dual mode" on the box refers to both audio and video mode. It is going back tomorrow. I'll just use the smaller ones I bought that look like the ones you have.
  • Options
    My head hurts.
  • Options
    This is very technical. Took out my draw string pouch which contains a converter and half a dozen different plugs. That is what I take overseas. But this looks like it would take up less room.
  • Options
    HappyTrails stole my sign off!!! Oh well, enjoy it.

Have a great trip too.

Happy Trails.

• Options
    I am confused. Is there a problem using a converter if I am not sure I need one? Would I plug the converter in and then use the adapter with my device. Have not used these before and am really struggling with what we need.
  • Options
    Mlcpa51 wrote:
    I am confused. Is there a problem using a converter if I am not sure I need one? Would I plug the converter in and then use the adapter with my device. Have not used these before and am really struggling with what we need.

I believe the adapter allows the plug on your device to plug into the recepticle in the wall. The converter, if necessary, converts their 220-240 to your devices 110-120. At least that would be the perspective of us 110-120 people.
  • Options
    Sealord's description is correct. Converter changes 220 to 110, Adapter merely makes your US plug compatible with the area's plug you need to use.

Most electronic equipment is usable for both. To make sure, look at the label on your device, or its charger, and it should say 110-240 volts. If it only says 110 or 120, then you need a converter. If it says 110-240 all you need is an adapter.

Hope that helps.

Happy Trails.
  • Options
    Since life is short, I believe in the KISS principle. If you buy a high-end pack of adapters with a converter you will probably never need the converter but will have peace of mind by carrying around a few extra ounces. For safety, plug everything in one at a time. The adapter, then converter (if needed) then device. Also, if using smart phones or tablets, best to get a power strip with USB ports and keep it separate from things like hair dryers.
  • Options
    As this still seems to be a hot topic, remember that hairdryers are provided for this trip. Most people will tell you that hair curling tongs are the dodgiest appliance to use when abroad, there are many stories about these overheating on 240 v electricity despite precautions.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:

Yup ... I just got mine very cool.

We also just received our Tauck duffels, nicely embroidered with the Tauck logo.
  • Options
    Super!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file