Exchanging money in Budapest, Romania and along the tour.

I am planning to be on the tour from Budapest to the Black Sea leaving on August 1st, 2014. I would like to know if it is possible to change US Dollars at banks or hotels in Budapest and in Romania. If it is not fairly easy to do, should I spend the money to buy Euros here in the US and then change the Euros into local currency? Also, what should I do about needing currency for any small purchases at the other stops in Serbia and Bulgaria. Will places such as restaurants and stores only take local currency, or will they take Euros or US Dollars?
Thanks also to the person who told me what might be interesting to do in Budapest on my extra day there. Ginnie

Comments

• Best rate you will get is thru your credit card or ATM. Also, best to have one. Like capital one that has no fee for converting foreign transactions. Don't forget to let the companies know you are traveling. You would not get good conversion rate trying to use us or probably even euros. Best to use local money.
  • Hi GinnieB,

ATMs are accessible in most areas visited on this trip, and credit cards can also be used for purchases in many stores and restaurants, although a fee may be charged. Local currencies are generally the most acceptable and can usually be obtained upon arrival in each country. For the best exchange rate, we suggest using major credit cards and/or ATMs, which generally only dispense cash in the local currency.

On board the riverboat, the currency used is the Euro. Currency exchange facilities are not available on the riverboat, but they do accept AMEX, Visa, and MasterCard.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file