hello and a question

Normally, the usual suspects … camera, computer equipments, etc. … only need adapter plugs as they are duel voltage. That would be 2 round pins … the same for most of the rest of Europe.

Cheers,

Jan

Comments

• I'm not sure that my camera battery charger is dual voltage. But I have the converter...so a converter that works for other areas of Europe will also work in Switzerland?
  • I think so … I've just been looking up a really handy site … it has pictures!

http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com/plug_adapter_guide.shtml#country

Europe is 220v, like us in Australia. If you think of European history …. then US history (& sphere of influence) …. you are 110v. America has to be different. Most of the rest of the world converted to metric in the 70s. The US, Canada & UK were on track to follow the rest of the world and to varying degrees, Canada & the UK have. The US hasn't and remains … different.

I think your gadgets, as long as they are daily modern, should be fine without a power/voltage adapter. Conversely, my gadgets, with a US plug, work just fine in the States.

Cheers,

Jan

• BScalco wrote:
    Oh, and I'm not familiar with the term "daily modern" : )

Mark

OOOOH….. typeo! I hate predictive text. I wish I could work out how to turn it off. I am no great shakes with accuracy! I meant to type … fairly modern! :-0

Although Switzerland is not part of the European Union, it is and has always been part of Europe. Those gnomes wouldn't have it any other way! ;))

Cheers,

Jan
  • All of Europe, except the UK uses the two prong round plug. (If you have a three prong, grounded device these may vary, but this isn't common).

To be sure of the voltage for your device, check the label (the voltage range should be printed right on it). If the range includes 220v (typically it will read 100-240v), you're good. All you need is a plug adaptor. Most all battery chargers, power supplies for PCs and small electronics and shavers are dual voltage these days. Devices to be really careful of are those with heating elements in them (like a blow drier or curling iron). Most of those are 110v only and cannot be used even with a converter. Because of their high wattage, they will fry the small voltage converters.
  • edited May 2014
    Devices to be really careful of are those with heating elements in them (like a blow drier or curling iron). Most of those are 110v only and cannot be used even with a converter. Because of their high wattage, they will fry the small voltage converters.

Ooh, nasty. Glad I don't need them. I have a tiny electric jug, so I can boil water for tea in the States and a travel iron, so I can still afford to drink champagne in Europe. Both are dual voltage. Yippee!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Never mind, Mark. You can be content with what Christine Lavin did for Bald Headed Men. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t144cdYJj8U
  • BScalco wrote:
    Oh, and I'm not familiar with the term "daily modern" : )

Mark

Mark, you need to be bilingual on this site- remember the old saying "The US and UK (and lets not forget our friends down under) are countries separated by a common language."

Are you from NC? My wife and I (Kathy and Alan Schaffter) are from little Washington, NC (we are retired Yankees.) and also traveling on the 12 June Alps & Dolomites trip. We fly out of Raleigh on the afternoon of the 10th to Atlanta then direct to Munich, arriving in the morning on the 11 th. We have reservations for a Segway tour on the morning of the 12th. I expect we will see much of the same stuff we see with Tauck on the morning of the second day (13 June) but thought it would be neat to ride a Segway.

As you've discovered you should only need a plug adapter to convert US 2 and 3 pin plugs to the European configurations. All of my device (cameras(3), cell phone, shaver, laptop computer, etc.) chargers are dual voltage. Most of them these days are automatic- no switch to select voltage is needed or found. It will usually say 100-240V 50/60 Hz somewhere on the device.

I haven't looked at adapters in awhile but think two may be needed. Many of the better hotels have outlets designed for multiple configurations, including US plugs, though I wouldn't count on that. I'm just going to take my bag of adapters and a small, folding 4-outlet travel strip (Outlets to Go from Amazon) so I only need one adapter at a time ):

Outlet_to_go_4-plug_Blk.jpg
  • edited May 2014
    AlanS wrote:
    I'm just going to take my bag of adapters and a small, folding 4-outlet travel strip (Outlets to Go from Amazon) so I only need one adapter at a time ):
    AlanS wrote:

I looked at these the last time you posted this helpful info, Alan. This time I weakened and bought one that will take any plugs… like mine. Then I only need a European or US converter plug for the power point end. But you know, the shipping was almost half the cost again of the B thing and despite the listed rates, the fairies chose their own! Grrrr. Just another of the trials of an international traveller. Grumble, grumble.

The sun passed the yardarm hours ago here. In fact, it's cocktail hour … for you Northern Hemisphere types. Time for something to take my mind off exorbitant shipping rates and the tyranny of distance!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Jan - Hope you read this. This morning there was a new post from someone posting a blog on the South Africa, Botswana trip. I wanted to read it, did not have time and now I can't find it. You had made a comment on it. I was looking forward to reading the blog because I'm considering this trip. If you find it, let me know. Thank's. Carolyn
  • Hi Carolyn, do you mean the blog from Leo, if so it is on page 2 of the South Africa page, otherwise I can't find it either if it is different from that. Maybe they deleted it!
  • edited May 2014
    Jan - Hope you read this. This morning there was a new post from someone posting a blog on the South Africa, Botswana trip. I wanted to read it, did not have time and now I can't find it. You had made a comment on it. I was looking forward to reading the blog because I'm considering this trip. If you find it, let me know. Thank's. Carolyn
    Hi Carolyn,

Umm …. I wonder what dreadful, unfunny, off topic thing you could possibly mean? :-0

The last thing I posted on the Botswana trip was a reply to British's question about the possible home base of another poster.
    That was one of my off piste classics.

I have been to Botswana, some years ago, but didn't get as far as the Okavango, sadly. That's somewhere that really deserves to be on everyone's bucket list. I think British was almost right. I think you were looking for the link to Nick of Skara Brae's blog. Here is his post:-
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is a link to my travel blog for the April 2014 trip:

http://blog.travelpod.co...log/sirnick/2/tpod.html

I hope it will be helpful to those planning to take this wonderful trip in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I hope we've hit pay dirt!

Cheers,

Jan
    PS: You might need to cut and paste the link. I think my cut and paste job might have robbed the link of it's life force. I deaded it!!

• Jan - That's the one. Thank you so much - knew you would know. Carolyn
  • No worries, Carolyn. It's a great blog … and a truly wonderful destination. I hope you do take the trip.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file