Options

Tanzania: A Grand Family Safari - looking for tips from previous travelers

ALOHA, we just returned from the TAUCK Grand Family Safari in JULY2014. Here are some ANSWERS to the questions I asked before our Safari. You will have a FABULOUS time.

ORIGINAL POST WITH QUESTIONS FOLLOW BY ANSWERS AFTER TAKING THE SAFARI:
Hello, we would be interested in comments from families who already took the Tanzania Family Safari. About 10-12 months ago there was a well-traveled couple who provided lots of tips, but I cannot find their notes. We are a family with four adults and three teens traveling in June2014.

-gratuities: TAUCK says all gratuities are paid but several blogs comment about $8/day/person for Travel Director. What's the standard? expectation? average?
ANSWER: TAUCK Bridges includes ALL tips, except for extra tours you schedule before/after and if you stay before/after. On our tour of 24 most folks did NOT provide extra gratuities.

-bugs/insects/mosquitoes: if we use regular "OFF" bug spray and wear tan/beige clothes are we fine or do we need DEET strength?
ANSWER: First you MUST take some sort of MALARIA pills before/during/after safari. It's literally the FIRST thing the guide tells you when they pick you up from the airport. YES, bring DEET strength or the newer better-smelling DEET. For the TSTSIE flies do NOT wear Black or Royal Blue or Navy Blue. The Tour Director will tell you when they are out. Yes, they sting and it hurts and you get a big red bump that itches/hurts. Try not to wear flowery-smelling deodorant, lotion, etc

-souvenirs: I'm not a shopper but would love to bring back some local items for friends & students. What was available? at what stops? cost? do we barter?
ANSWER: each Lodge has a little gift shop with postcards, magnets, mixture of items. If you see something you like, BUY IT, and don't wait. You definitely barter at Maasai Village, Olduvai Gorge, and little shops. There are lots of beaded jewelry, carved animals, artwork, walking sticks/medicine sticks, etc. Bring small bills ($20 or smaller). On the last day you visit the Cultural Center which has EVERYTHING you can imagine; it costs more but you can use CC and you don't have to pack every time you move.

-clothing: how many pairs of convertible pants, short-sleeve, long-sleeve shirts, fleece, rainjacket did you really need even with do-it-yourself or valet laundry?
ANSWER: four convertible pants, four short-sleeve shirts, two long sleeve, 1-2 fleece/sweatshirt, poncho/rainjacket (just in case), six socks, six undergarments. There is next day laundry at all lodges. I brought detergent to hand wash, but then realized...what am I thinking??...I'm on the trip of a lifetime...we used the valet laundry service and gave the Guides the detergent. :-)

-money: how much do you recommend and for what? I've seen everything from $1-$20 post-2006 bills, $500/person, credit cards charge 10% surcharge.
ANSWER: Bring small bills ($20 or smaller) post-2006 bills. MOST places take Credit Cards but charge 3-5% service charge...we used CC as we didn't want to carry a lot of cash. You MUST have cash for Maasai village, Olduvai Gorge, Balloon Ride souvenirs, and miscellaneous vendors. Yes, $500/person is sufficient. NOTE: always pay your Credit Card (CC) the night before as CC access is a problem in morning. If you take a tour to Kili or Arusha NP before the Safari starts, bring sufficient cash to pay the Entrance Fee as sometimes their CC machine does NOT work.

-Internet access: can we upload photos to the cloud or just send a quick email saying "We're having Fun. Wish you were here!"
ANSWER: most Lodges had sporadic access in the main lobby....remember you're on safari in Africa. We had Internet to send a quick photo or two, but no long emails or business.

-medicine: did you pack anti-diarrhea meds (Lomotil)? Did you take anti-malaria pills (Doxycyclene) before/during/after (yes, I know I'll check with our Doctor but each Doctor says something different....)
ANSWER: You MUST take Malaria medicine; see a Travel Doctor about six weeks before departure. We had our regular immunizations and skipped the Rabies shots. We brought other meds and used Pepto-bismal a time or two so I'd recommend just in case.

-local school visits: how many kids were at your school? Did everyone bring pencils, pens, crayons or do you recommend other stuff like chalk, games, clothes?
ANSWER: about 800 children. No, most folks did not bring supplies. We brought a bunch. The Tour Director takes all and gives directly to the School Master to distribute later. We played soccer and took lots of pictures. Makes you thankful for your education.

-arrival before: what did you do? Arusha town tour? Rainforest tour? Coffee plantation tour? relax?
ANSWER: We did the Arusha NP and LOVED IT! We also did Tanzanite Museum (& bought Tanzanite that had proper ratings for clarity, cut, etc just like diamonds...don't let anyone tell you Tanzanite is not rated...it is!) and Arusha town tour (be prepared for LOTS of begging).

-Hot Air Balloon: some are afraid of heights...recommendations??...gut it out or take the safari jeep?
ANSWER: THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SAFAREI... I say "suck it up Buttercup" if you are afraid of heights. We saw a Leopard sitting on a rock looking straight up at us, hippos walking, awesome perspective of safari animals. Unless you are physically disabled, get in the Balloon and have a GREAT time. Yes, it was cold (40s or so) but not freezing.

-Day One tour choice: which tour do you recommend Marangu Trail of Mount Kilimanjaro or Arusha National Park
ANSWER: Arusha National Park without a doubt! Hiking Mount Kili was like hiking a trail in the US....I don't want to be too harsh, but it was nothing spectacular...but heh, I hiked Mount Kili (just not all the way to the top.
:-))

-Day Four: visit to Maasai Warriors....should we bring some school supplies for those children too?
ANSWER: the children will be at school. You can give to the father who shows you a tour of his house, but no need really to bring anything. I would buy some beaded items from the families.

-Toiletries: what's provided at the lodges? Since I'll be leaving the hairdryer at home, I'd like to leave the soap and shampoo at home too so I have more room for school supplies! But just want to find out what's provided. ;-)
ANSWER: all Lodges had shampoo and soap; a few had lotion; one had hair conditioner. Hairdryers are signed out at the Lodge or are already in luxury tents so don't waste space...leave the blow dryer at home...plus you'll be wearing a hat.

-What time do most tours start....I've heard 5am to 8am.
ANSWER: most start at 8am except for Balloon Ride which started about 5am

-What type of food will we eat?
ANSWER: GREAT food...I gained weight. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, pasta, rice, meat. The deserts are NOT American style...no chocolate cake, apple pie...well actually there was one Lodge with this awesome chocolate dessert! If you want to bring granola bars no problem, but PLEASE put in the main Lodge when told to do so or otherwise you'll have a Baboon or Monkey noshing on your bars!

OTHER TIPS:
-please be on time

-ask your kids/grandkids to be respectful & courteous...it's heartbreaking to hear someone say..."Oh my gosh not another zebra we've already seen 10.000!" If you can't say something nice, zip it and keep it to yourself. Oh, by the by, you can hear MOST conversations between tents/rooms so be mindful.

-do NOT hog the front passenger seat; if you get motion sick either take Dramamine or book another tour...sorry to be harsh, but a person should not spend more than 1/2 day about every three days in the front seat. The front seat is meant to be for the Tour Director or Ranger and not Guests. It's nice to sit up there every now and again to chat with the Guide or take a break from standing and taking photos.

-wear sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, bandanna/neck gaiter for dust

-drink water

-most Lodges sell wine/beer/spirits which you charge to your room. Kinda cool to be having a cold one at sunset while watching zebras and giraffes and elephants walking around!

-THANK your Tour Director and Guides daily...there is SOOO much going on behind the scenes that we as Guests do NOT see. They are working hard to make this Safari a Trip-of-a-Lifetime...and it was!

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. Kwaheri (goodbye)!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    ErinG wrote:
    Hello, we would be interested in comments from families who already took the Tanzania Family Safari. About 10-12 months ago there was a well-traveled couple who provided lots of tips, but I cannot find their notes. We are a family with four adults and three teens traveling in June2014.

I HAVE BEEN TO TANZANIA BUT ON THE REGULAR TOUR, ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AGO, SO CAN ONLY ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS. MAYBE SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN ON THIS TOUR CAN HELP MORE, BUT JUST IN CASE
    -gratuities: TAUCK says all gratuities are paid but several blogs comment about $8/day/person for Travel Director. What's the standard? expectation? average? $8 A DAY EACH, THAT'S A LOT FOR YOUR GROUP. WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD I GUESS

-bugs/insects/mosquitoes: if we use regular "OFF" bug spray and wear tan/beige clothes are we fine or do we need DEET strength? CANT RECALL THE STRENGTH OF 'OFF'. I THINK YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO NEED 30%. ONLY USE IT ON EXPOSED SKIN, TOO MUCH CAN BE ABSORBED OTHERWISE AND CAN MAKE YOU QUEEZY. YOU CAN WEAR BROWN GREEN TOO
    -souvenirs: I'm not a shopper but would love to bring back some local items for friends & students. What was available? at what stops? cost? do we barter?
    YOU DEFINITELY BARTER WITH THE MASAI TAKE US DOLLARS SMALL DENOMINATIONS. I REMEMBER OLDUVAI GORGE HAD A GIFT SHOP, WHEN I WENT THE GIFTS WERE GOOD PRICE BUT QUALITY NOT AS GOOD AS OTHER PLACES, MAY BE DIFFERENT NOW. BUYING FROM THE MASAI WAS MY FAVORITE THEY HAVE BEADED JEWELERY I LIKED THE NECK 'RINGS' I HAVE A GROUP OF THOSE ON MY WALL. IF YOU GO TO THE ARUSHA CRAFT CENTER, I MEAN CULTURAL CENTER, THAT IS A GOOD PLACE. I bought a great painting of Masai warriors there.SMALL GIFT SHOP AT SOME HOTELS

-clothing: how many pairs of convertible pants, short-sleeve, long-sleeve shirts, fleece, rainjacket did you really need even with do-it-yourself or valet laundry? ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE, IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU ARE PREPARED TO WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES MORE THAN ONE DAY EVEN IF THEY LOOK A BIT DUSTY/DIRTY. ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO CHANGE FOR DINNER BASED ON LOOKING AT YOUR ITINERARY. IF YOU HAVE TIME AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE A GOOD TIP IS TO PUT ON THE NEXT DAY'S CLOTHING FOR DINNER, RATHER THAN JUST A NON SAFARI OUTFIT.
    -money: how much do you recommend and for what? I've seen everything from $1-$20 post-2006 bills, $500/person, credit cards charge 10% surcharge.
    SMALL DENOMINATION NOTES, YOU WILL NOT HAVE MUCH TIME TO SHOP, IT IS NOT A TAUCK PRIORITY AND I ACTUALLY LIKE THAT ABOUT THEM. I WOULD STILL USE A CREDIT CARD FOR A BIG PURCHASE DESPITE THE SURCHARGE. I THINK $500 PERSON IS WAY TOO MUCH, your children are lucky enough to go on this trip, AGAIN UP TO YOU PERSONALLY WHAT YOU FEEL YOU CAN AFFORD TO TAKE AND SPEND
    -Internet access: can we upload photos to the cloud or just send a quick email saying "We're having Fun. Wish you were here!" INTERNET AVAILABLE BUT WHO KNOWS HOW GOOD IT IS, I DID NOT HAVE AN IPAD TO TAKE THEN.
    -medicine: did you pack anti-diarrhea meds (Lomotil)? Did you take anti-malaria pills (Doxycyclene) before/during/after (yes, I know I'll check with our Doctor but each Doctor says something different....). SEE A TRAVEL DOCTOR. I WOULD NOT GO TO TANZANIA WITHOUT MALARIA MEDS, ITS GETTING VERY NEAR YOUR TRIP, YOU NEED TO GET THIS ALL SQUARED AWAY, YOU BEGIN MALARIA MEDS BEFORE TRIP STARTS.. I ALSO TAKE CIPRO AND ANTI DIARRHEA MEDS WITH ME. DONT KNOW AGE OF YOUR KIDS ABOUT THESE CHECK WITH DR. ARE YOU ALL UP TO DATE WITH YOUR BOOSTER SHOTS? MMR, POLIO ETC?
    -local school visits: how many kids were at your school? Did everyone bring pencils, pens, crayons or do you recommend other stuff like chalk, games, clothes? WE DID NOT GO TO A SCHOOL WHEN WE WENT ( We are going to Tanzania in 5 weeks time and will visit a school then) WE VISITED A SMALL VILLAGE, ANYTHING WE WANTED TO GIVE WAS GIVEN TO THE ELDER IN CHARGE AND HE DISTRIBUTED AS HE FELT FIT.
    -arrival before: what did you do? Arusha town tour? Rainforest tour? Coffee plantation tour? relax?
    IF YOU ARRIVE JUST ONE DAY EARLY, YOU WILL HAVE JETLAG, JUST CHILL, MOST FLIGHTS GET YOU TO THE LODGES ABOUT 3AM. ARUSHA TOWN, NOT MUCH TO IT. THERE ARE NO RAINFORESTS WHERE YOU WILL BE VISITING, THIS WILL BE YOUR ONLY CHANCE! ALL THE TRIPS FROM THE HOTEL LOOK GOOD.
    -Hot Air Balloon: some are afraid of heights...recommendations??...gut it out or take the safari jeep? OUR BALLOON RIDE WAS CANCELLED TWO DAYS RUNNING BECAUSE OF UNSUITABLE WEATHER. YOU GET UP AT 4AM FOR THOSE
    -Day One tour choice: which tour do you recommend Marangu Trail of Mount Kilimanjaro or Arusha National Park AS YOU WILL BE GOING ON LOTS OF GAME DRIVES ANYWAY, I WOULD DO THE MOUNT KILI ONE
    -Day Four: visit to Maasai Warriors....should we bring some school supplies for those children too? THINK YOU WILL BE SEEING WARRIORS, THE KIDS WILL BE IN SCHOOL
    -Toiletries: what's provided at the lodges? Since I'll be leaving the hairdryer at home, I'd like to leave the soap and shampoo at home too so I have more room for school supplies! But just want to find out what's provided. ;-)
    THERE WILL BE SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER DONT RECALL, SOAP YES
    -What time do most tours start....I've heard 5am to 8am. YES THAT SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT
    -What type of food will we eat? VERY GOOD CHOICE OF FOOD, MOST TYPES TO SATISFY ALL, POSSIBLY BUFFET STYLE
  • Options
    Great advice!!!! Two things to add. I didn't see questions concerning Visas....Hopefully, Erin, you have completed, or know to complete, the paperwork for any Visas you need.

Second, you can get a credit card (there will be a small annual charge) that adds NO surcharges to the purchases you make on it out of the country. All the companies have them...I have one from Chase. I guess it all depends on how much expect to spend as to whether the surcharge is less than the annual fee. It has saved me money. I also get miles which I use. I don't think I have paid for a flight (with cash) for some time. I know I am paying for it someway, but it comes out as a bonus.

British's advice for seeing a "travel doctor" is important. My daughter is a physician and she used a travel doc for any trips out of the country, especially for her kids. Like British, I am taking some antibiotics and anti diarrhea meds, just in case. I plan on eating carefully, not drinking the water (even when brushing my teeth or in the shower), washing my hands frequently. Oh yea....NO ICE!!!! I know I might be told the ice is from filtered water, but I don't trust them. It isn't like I won't ever have an ice cube again. I know that many people have said the fruits and veggies are safe, but I am not sure I'll have any raw fruits (unless I peel them myself) or veggies. My travel doc gave me these four thoughts: 1. Boil it, 2. Cook it, 3. Peel it, or 4. Forget it.

Have a safe journey.
  • Options
    Yes, I wondered if you got the visas, if you haven't you barely have time.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. Yes we have Visas and a Doc appt. :-) We will post when we return too. Hopefully someone on one of the current tours will share too. This forum has great info. Cheers!
  • Options
    gratuities: TAUCK says all gratuities are paid but several blogs comment about $8/day/person for Travel Director. What's the standard? expectation? average? My children (daughter 15 at the time and son 12) and I went in 2012. I did tip but I don't think everyone does. Can't really remember what I tipped. Sorry.

-bugs/insects/mosquitoes: if we use regular "OFF" bug spray and wear tan/beige clothes are we fine or do we need DEET strength? we used deet but not a ton. The bugs were not bad at all. We wore green, tan, browns.

Buying something from the masai is really nice and a nice keepsake. we paid with US dollars. Batering is a must. We also bought on the last day in Arusha before we flew home. I paid by credit card for jewelry, etc.

-clothing: how many pairs of convertible pants, short-sleeve, long-sleeve shirts, fleece, rainjacket did you really need even with do-it-yourself or valet laundry? I brought one fleece but 2 would have been better. The one you wear during the day gets really dusty. It is cold at night. I liked to change before dinner each nice and put on clean or fairly clean clothes. It was chilly at times. Layers is a must! A thin pair of gloves is a good idea and warm socks. I send our clothes out to be washed 2 times.

Small denominations is important. I used credit cards on larger purchases. I did have to call in a doctor 2 times and had to pay cash for visit and prescriptions but it was less than $40 both times - including the prescriptions.

-Internet access: can we upload photos to the cloud or just send a quick email saying "We're having Fun. Wish you were here!"Depends on where you are if the internet is working. Kik is a great app for communicating back home with others also on kik. We also faced timed with others with iphones back home.
    -medicine: did you pack anti-diarrhea meds (Lomotil)? Did you take anti-malaria pills (Doxycyclene) before/during/after (yes, I know I'll check with our Doctor but each Doctor says something different....). Take any medicine that you might need. Anti-malaria pills a must although they did make my daughter sick. xlax, gasx, painreliever, antibiotics, Take what you think you might just need. Almost impossible to find once you are there.
    -local school visits: how many kids were at your school? Did everyone bring pencils, pens, crayons or do you recommend other stuff like chalk, games, clothes?
    I
    -Hot Air Balloon: some are afraid of heights...recommendations??...gut it out or take the safari jeep? OUR
    HOT AIR BALLOON TRIP WAS HIGHLIGHT OF TRIP!
    -Day One tour choice: which tour do you recommend Marangu Trail of Mount Kilimanjaro or Arusha National Park AS YOU WILL BE GOING ON LOTS OF GAME DRIVES ANYWAY, I WOULD DO THE MOUNT KILI ONE. I agree but we did the Arusha National Park and loved it. We did that bc my daughter was sick and hiking was out of the question.
    THERE WILL BE SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER DONT RECALL, SOAP YES
    -What time do most tours start....I've heard 5am to 8am. they weren't that early for the family safari. 7-8 am.
    -What type of food will we eat? VERY GOOD CHOICE OF FOOD, MOST TYPES TO SATISFY ALL, POSSIBLY BUFFET STYLE. A lot of families on our trip brought a suitcase of snacks to eat. If you have picky eaters, I suggest this. I thought the food was good.
    Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
  • Options
    Hi Erin, noticed you are getting a few more tips. I read the review of about the tour someone did about a year ago and thought they have some great information. It's also interesting to see how the tsetse fly experience varies from trip to trip. We were lucky when we went and did not see any, but at the time the locals were experimenting with hanging
    blue sheets of fabric around that I think were impregnated with insecticide, or maybe the blue was enough to keep the insects off the people. Not long after we got home those same types of blue fabric were used in field experiments near our home, so that was interesting. Anyway, the past tip has made me remember that last time I went to Tanzania I took a leopard print rain cover, this time I was going to take my black rain garb, but now i am re-considering. I also noticed the mention of having to take off shoes to stand on the seats in safari vehicles and this was certainly true when we were there. There has been some past discussion about this too, but I would say be prepared to have to remove your shoes. I noticed this tip before I went last time and it was the most useful of all the tips I picked up. At the time, Lands End made some plain suede waterproof shoes, slip on that we used and were very easy to slip on and off and could be washed when we get home. I'll be taking these with me next time, they are great in the snow too and never seem to wear out. I'll be taking a similar second pair too and a pair of sandals I'll need for Zanzibar at the end of our trip that are dressier but I can also walk around in. That's all the shoes I will take. Yes, take plastic bags to repack your dirty shoes in. One previous Tauck tour director said collect any plastic laundry bags you get on the way and never throw them out until you know they are not absolutely needed by the end of the trip.
    Back to Malaria meds, the other person mentioned her child was sick with the meds, first, you mentioned doxycycline, check with your doctor, but that may not be the best choice, we take Malerone. It is best taken with food or milk, whatever, do not take it on an empty stomach, we take it during our evening meal or as a soon as we get back to the room. This drug is taken daily, some are taken weekly, but up to a month after you return home, easy to forget. It's important to remember that the choice of malaria meds varies depending on the country you are visiting, in different parts of the world the local mosquitoes have become resistant to some of the drugs, so you have to take the correct one for the place you are visiting. Since it's very early here in NY where we are on a weekend visit and I'm early wake as usual. Hubby fast asleep, can't remember anything else. British!
  • Options
    With regard to gratuities, many of the Tauck World Discovery trips have suggested amounts to tip the tour directors, but for Tauck Bridges trips the tour director's gratuity is included in the price of your trip. There may be a few people who give an additional tip when the service is really above and beyond, but from my experience this isn't common on TB trips.
  • Options
    ALOHA, we just returned from the TAUCK Grand Family Safari in JULY2014. Here are some ANSWERS to the questions I asked before our Safari. You will have a FABULOUS time.

ORIGINAL POST WITH QUESTIONS FOLLOW BY ANSWERS AFTER TAKING THE SAFARI:

-gratuities: TAUCK says all gratuities are paid but several blogs comment about $8/day/person for Travel Director. What's the standard? expectation? average?
    ANSWER: TAUCK Bridges includes ALL tips, except for extra tours you schedule before/after and if you stay before/after. On our tour of 24 most folks did NOT provide extra gratuities.

-bugs/insects/mosquitoes: if we use regular "OFF" bug spray and wear tan/beige clothes are we fine or do we need DEET strength?
    ANSWER: First you MUST take some sort of MALARIA pills before/during/after safari. It's literally the FIRST thing the guide tells you when they pick you up from the airport. YES, bring DEET strength or the newer better-smelling DEET. For the TSTSIE flies do NOT wear Black or Royal Blue or Navy Blue. The Tour Director will tell you when they are out. Yes, they sting and it hurts and you get a big red bump that itches/hurts. Try not to wear flowery-smelling deodorant, lotion, etc

ANSWER: each Lodge has a little gift shop with postcards, magnets, mixture of items. If you see something you like, BUY IT, and don't wait. You definitely barter at Maasai Village, Olduvai Gorge, and little shops. There are lots of beaded jewelry, carved animals, artwork, walking sticks/medicine sticks, etc. Bring small bills ($20 or smaller). On the last day you visit the Cultural Center which has EVERYTHING you can imagine; it costs more but you can use CC and you don't have to pack every time you move.

-clothing: how many pairs of convertible pants, short-sleeve, long-sleeve shirts, fleece, rainjacket did you really need even with do-it-yourself or valet laundry?
    ANSWER: four convertible pants, four short-sleeve shirts, two long sleeve, 1-2 fleece/sweatshirt, poncho/rainjacket (just in case), six socks, six undergarments. There is next day laundry at all lodges. I brought detergent to hand wash, but then realized...what am I thinking??...I'm on the trip of a lifetime...we used the valet laundry service and gave the Guides the detergent. :-)

ANSWER: Bring small bills ($20 or smaller) post-2006 bills. MOST places take Credit Cards but charge 3-5% service charge...we used CC as we didn't want to carry a lot of cash. You MUST have cash for Maasai village, Olduvai Gorge, Balloon Ride souvenirs, and miscellaneous vendors. Yes, $500/person is sufficient. NOTE: always pay your Credit Card (CC) the night before as CC access is a problem in morning. If you take a tour to Kili or Arusha NP before the Safari starts, bring sufficient cash to pay the Entrance Fee as sometimes their CC machine does NOT work.

-Internet access: can we upload photos to the cloud or just send a quick email saying "We're having Fun. Wish you were here!"
    ANSWER: most Lodges had sporadic access in the main lobby....remember you're on safari in Africa. We had Internet to send a quick photo or two, but no long emails or business.

-medicine: did you pack anti-diarrhea meds (Lomotil)? Did you take anti-malaria pills (Doxycyclene) before/during/after (yes, I know I'll check with our Doctor but each Doctor says something different....)
    ANSWER: You MUST take Malaria medicine; see a Travel Doctor about six weeks before departure. We had our regular immunizations and skipped the Rabies shots. We brought other meds and used Pepto-bismal a time or two so I'd recommend just in case.

ANSWER: about 800 children. No, most folks did not bring supplies. We brought a bunch. The Tour Director takes all and gives directly to the School Master to distribute later. We played soccer and took lots of pictures. Makes you thankful for your education.

ANSWER: We did the Arusha NP and LOVED IT! We also did Tanzanite Museum (& bought Tanzanite that had proper ratings for clarity, cut, etc just like diamonds...don't let anyone tell you Tanzanite is not rated...it is!) and Arusha town tour (be prepared for LOTS of begging).

-Hot Air Balloon: some are afraid of heights...recommendations??...gut it out or take the safari jeep?
    ANSWER: THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SAFAREI... I say "suck it up Buttercup" if you are afraid of heights. We saw a Leopard sitting on a rock looking straight up at us, hippos walking, awesome perspective of safari animals. Unless you are physically disabled, get in the Balloon and have a GREAT time. Yes, it was cold (40s or so) but not freezing.

-Day One tour choice: which tour do you recommend Marangu Trail of Mount Kilimanjaro or Arusha National Park
    ANSWER: Arusha National Park without a doubt! Hiking Mount Kili was like hiking a trail in the US....I don't want to be too harsh, but it was nothing spectacular...but heh, I hiked Mount Kili (just not all the way to the top.
    :-))

-Day Four: visit to Maasai Warriors....should we bring some school supplies for those children too?
    ANSWER: the children will be at school. You can give to the father who shows you a tour of his house, but no need really to bring anything. I would buy some beaded items from the families.

ANSWER: all Lodges had shampoo and soap; a few had lotion; one had hair conditioner. Hairdryers are signed out at the Lodge or are already in luxury tents so don't waste space...leave the blow dryer at home...plus you'll be wearing a hat.

-What time do most tours start....I've heard 5am to 8am.
    ANSWER: most start at 8am except for Balloon Ride which started about 5am

-What type of food will we eat?
    ANSWER: GREAT food...I gained weight. Lots of fresh veggies, fruit, pasta, rice, meat. The deserts are NOT American style...no chocolate cake, apple pie...well actually there was one Lodge with this awesome chocolate dessert! If you want to bring granola bars no problem, but PLEASE put in the main Lodge when told to do so or otherwise you'll have a Baboon or Monkey noshing on your bars!

OTHER TIPS:
    -please be on time

-ask your kids/grandkids to be respectful & courteous...it's heartbreaking to hear someone say..."Oh my gosh not another zebra we've already seen 10.000!" If you can't say something nice, zip it and keep it to yourself. Oh, by the by, you can hear MOST conversations between tents/rooms so be mindful.

-do NOT hog the front passenger seat; if you get motion sick either take Dramamine or book another tour...sorry to be harsh, but a person should not spend more than 1/2 day about every three days in the front seat. The front seat is meant to be for the Tour Director or Ranger and not Guests. It's nice to sit up there every now and again to chat with the Guide or take a break from standing and taking photos.

-wear sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, bandanna/neck gaiter for dust

-drink water

-most Lodges sell wine/beer/spirits which you charge to your room. Kinda cool to be having a cold one at sunset while watching zebras and giraffes and elephants walking around!

-THANK your Tour Director and Guides daily...there is SOOO much going on behind the scenes that we as Guests do NOT see. They are working hard to make this Safari a Trip-of-a-Lifetime...and it was!

• Options
    We were on the same Tanzanian Family Safari tour as Erin G. She gave great, detailed answers to the questions asked. We, too, had a fantastic time! I would like to add information for something that no one would think to ask, and probably does not matter to most. Be aware that the tented camps are run on generators which are turned-off ~11:30 PM nightly. It is pitch black in the tents; no lights from clocks, phones, street lights, or even the moon or stars, and you have to keep the tents buttoned up due to wandering wild animals. The campsite provides a lantern that might last ~2 hours, so if this is an issue, you might bring solar powered flashlights that will last an additional 4 hours.
    Also, regarding the Balloon ride; I, too, thought it was the highlight of the trip! I am very claustrophobic, and almost did not go on this excursion when I learned we had to lie on our back in a cubical until the balloon righted itself in flight and you were on your feet. Once it was righted, the size was fine for anyone out there who might also be claustrophobic. When it was time to crawl into my cubical, I just "sucked it up", got in, and focused on watching what the pilot was doing. I am so thankful I went and experienced this fantastic ride over the Serengeti!!!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    What a fabulous, fabulous detailed review Erin. I am so glad you bothered to answer so many questions that others always ask. I see I have corresponded with you before. I have since been on my Tanzania trip. The only thing I feel I mislead you about is obviously the Arusha National Park tour versus the Kilimanjaro hike. We did the Arusha national park before our tour began and thought it was fantastic, so I am glad you managed to do that too. Isn't Tanzania wonderful! I am almost thinking that I would do the Family Safari next time even though we would just be a couple. Zanzibar was very interesting but for me does not warrant a return trip like mainland Tanzania.
  • Options
    Hi Erin,

Thank you for such a detailed review! I'm so glad to hear you had such a good time on your trip!

-Tim