Malachite in Kenya/Tanzania

Has anyone who have made the trips to Kenya and Tanzania purchased any malachite or ebony artwork? Do the vendors take credit cards and ship it to the US?

Comments

• Hi, the only real shopping opportunity is at the a Cultural Heritage center on your way back to Arusha on your way to Kenya where you have lunch. There's a variety of things, but as to Malachite and ebony, no idea. When we visited there about seven years ago, apart from the usual souvenirs we bought a lovely oil painting of Massai warriors which when we did research turned out to be by quite a famous artist who has paintings in art museums in the US. They definitely take credit cards, shipping, did not try to ship anything. Ask the tour guide about that at start of tour to find out if it is reliable, or wait for others to reply to you with tips. The roads are very very poor in Africa, so not sure how that impacts mail. Some small souvenir shops in hotels
  • I should have added that when you visit the Masai, they have a variety of handicrafts that they expect you to barter for. You pay for these with US dollars, so take plenty of small denomination.
  • edited May 2014
    Who was the artist? Was it an original or a print that is signed and numbered? Giclee?
  • H, as a result of your email, I actually found the website for the center and it is quite a good one.

http://www.culturalheritage.co.tz/

My painting is an original oil painting. it cannot have cost too much or my hubby would not have let me buy it!
    Noticed they sell ebony things and also shipping. You can actually buy a painting from the website.

I like the fact that Tauck restricts shopping on the tours, I would prefer to see as much as possible. But that does not mean I do not shop. If there is an opportunity, I zoom in and out in minutes, I'm very good at making quick and gut decisions about anything, years of having to make quick, correct and life saving actions during my working years. And like most men, my husband hates to be in a shop.
    Take a look and you will be prepared for what might be on offer when you get to the center.
  • British, I am with your husband....not a shopper. However, my wife was a shopper and we typically bought something very nice on every trip...large rugs in Turkey, crystal vases and an original watercolor in Ireland, an original oil in Taormina, tapestries and china in England, Murano glass in Venice, etc. It is nice to have a collection of these momentoes from across the United States and from trips overseas.

I have looked at a couple of things online and noticed a very nice sculpture made of Malachite. I just don't know if it will available from any place we visit. I could buy it from the store online, but then it isn't from the trip since I could stay home and get it.

I make the move in and out quickly, buy the stuff and move on. That is one reason for doing some research now. Thanks for the help. I will look at the website and see if there is something there that I would like. I appreciate it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file