Options

For Leo

Hello Leo, I still haven't got back to try to get your blog again, but thought you may be interested in the following. We have an acquaintance who visited Tanzania last year and they somehow got involved in a charity called FAME --Foundation for African Medicine and Education. As a result they are holding a fund-raising event for the charity here in Philadelphia in early June, so we are going along to see what else we can find out. There is quite a lot of information on the website and a video. We are hoping when my husband retires that we may be able to do some volunteering in Africa if our health and stamina permit us. I can't quite figure out how far the center is from Arusha. If it is near enough we could maybe visit before our tour starts because we will arrive a few days early. Maybe this is something that may interest you or other Tauck Africa visitors.

Comments

• Options
    I had not heard of this organization but will go on line and see what I can find. Thank you for the information...Leo M
  • Options
    Hi British,

This is very interesting. I have forwarded this information to our World of Giving (the arm of Tauck that is involved with charities around the world) to see if there are opportunities to help. Tauck currently donates to local schools in around Africa and the Save the Rain organization that provides clean water to under developed nations.

Thank you for sharing,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hello Again British...As promised, I did go on line and read the Foundation for African Medicine & Education (FAME) website. You were right; I was most impressed. Not only is FAME attending to the medical needs of thousands of Tanzanians in the Karatu region, they are training cadres of local Tanzanians as doctors, nurses, laboratory workers and, even, health educators to teach health in local communities. Although FAME is only 12 years old, they have an impressive number of consulting physicians and a large fund raising organization. In other words, they are already doing quite well and are attracting attention from the international community.

We, on the other hand, are two retired people who help where we can. We have contributed to projects that provide clean water to nomadic peoples in the Sahel. We have been involved for years with a Rwandan orphanage that was operated by a wonderful British friend of my Father and Mother. They met when my parents were stationed in Kigali.

I am really happy that Tauck is involved with the African communities we visit while traveling in this magnificent continent. I'm off now to read about the organizations that Emily brought to our attention. Best regards...Leo M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file