Do men need a sportcoat.

We are going on this tour the end of June. Just wondering if my husband really needs a sport coat for this tour. Hope someone who has been on this tour can respond.

Comments

• Dokey wrote:
    We are going on this tour the end of June. Just wondering if my husband really needs a sport coat for this tour. Hope someone who has been on this tour can respond.

Dokey, I haven't been on this tour . . . .yet- we are on the 12 June departure.

This topic is always raised at least once or twice per season on almost every forum here- the responses are pretty much the same across them all. Men will wear a sport coat, with and without tie, if at all, usually only during the welcome or farewell dinner, but most do not. I haven't been on one of the river cruises, but suspect the number of men who wear a sport coat may be a little higher on those trips. But, again, in general, especially because of the baggage limitations and lack of any occasion where one is needed, most do not. It comes down to what is most important to you- looking spiffy during a few dinners or being more comfortable and having one less article of clothing to pack that you really don't need.

That being said, I haven't decided yet, but am leaning slightly towards taking a sportcoat, blazer, or tweed just in case the weather is cooler than forecast, so I can use it as a lightweight jacket at high altitudes. Last summer we were on the Tauck England, Scotland, Wales trip. I took a jacket (and a sweater!) but due to the unseasonably warm weather for the entire two weeks, I only wore the jacket very briefly at the welcome & farewell dinners- it spent most of the time draped on the back of my chair, (my tie disappeared into a pocket more quickly).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words- here are photos of some of our group at the farewell dinner in the Tower of London- count the jackets (and ties) being worn:

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG
  • Hi everybody,

Dokey, AlanS is completely right. If you choose to bring it, you are welcome to use it, and if you don't, as long as you have a dress shirt and tie or something, you'll be fine. If there are any nights were specific attire is requested on this trip, it'll be in your documents.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file