Options

Tanzania/Kenya trip May 17, 2014

I'm single 56 year old woman from Toronto and this is my first trip to Africa. I'm going solo, so I'm a little nervous. I have travelled solo a few times but not on a tour and only to the States and London.

In an effort to travel light and not have to check in luggage, I was wondering if on international flights, they allow you to bring checked baggage directly to the plane. I have done this several times in North America, but I'm not sure about International flights. I'm flying KLM. Anybody know?

Also, if anyone is going on this trip, I'm flying in on the 16th. Wouldn't mind meeting up in Amsterdam, if possible.

Comments

• Options
    Please clarify what you are talking about? Baggage is either checked or not checked. I have never heard of checked baggage not being taken off you at the check-in desk. Most people on this forum complain that they cannot bring enough clothing for the trip in one large suitcase. Whatever type of suitcase you bring, when you travel on some portions of the tour you will have to transfer everything to your tour duffel bag so that it's shape conforms to the storage available in the safari vehicles. Also, Amsterdam airport security is very strict.
    I have taken this tour in the past, if you need any more advise there is plenty on the forum
  • Options
    Just a guess on this one....on some flights, in the US in particular, if you have a "carry-on" bag and are traveling on a regional flight that usually has smaller planes and your bag won't fit into the overhead storage, they will take it from you and "check" it. You then pick it up on the gangway as you leave the plane (like they do with strollers and such). That is just a guess because I am with British on this one...checked luggage that is not checked in is a bit of an oxymoron.

This a trick that people have developed so they can avoid paying for luggage that is checked at the ticket counter. They have a small piece of luggage but stuff it so full that it won't fit in the overhead bin. The flight crew then "checks" it to the belly of the plane and they don't have to pay for it.

I've never seen anyone get away with that on international flights...but, to be honest, I probably wasn't paying attention. Besides, the overhead bins on those planes are usually big enough to park a Volkswagen in.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm talking about what ndvb mentioned. Between Canada and the U.S. I was encouraged to bring my luggage to the plane's door and it was handled by the baggage people there. One time, I wanted to check my luggage at the counter and the counter person kept warning me it would be an extra $25.00 I was willing to pay because I didn't want to schlep my luggage through the terminal so I checked it at the counter. I was hoping to do it here, but if it's not allowed overseas, that's fine. I'll just have to organize my luggage differently this time. No worries ;)

• Options
    You say: "One time, I wanted to check my luggage at the counter and the counter person kept warning me it would be an extra $25.00 I was willing to pay because I didn't want to schlep my luggage through the terminal so I checked it at the counter. I was hoping to do it here, but if it's not allowed overseas, that's fine. I'll just have to organize my luggage differently this time."

I am not sure what that means. That you want to check your bags plane side, or you don't. Can't be sure.

Unless it is a small bag, the only choice you'll probably have on international flights is to check it at the counter. Remember, overseas trips have strict weight limits to your bags. Some European airlines allow less weight in the bags than American companies. As far as I can tell, the small planes on the Kenya and Tanzania Safari also limit bag weights. I don't know for sure, but I will be able to tell you when I return in the middle of July.

I am with you. I have no desire to haul all my luggage through the airports. I'll have a backpack that will be full (and heavy) enough. Someone was in a forum room the other day complaining that since they were flying first class and were allowed to carry two 70 lb. bags they were disappointed that Tauck would restrict them to one 44 lb. bag. You'd have to be crazy to want to haul 140 lb. of stuff on a long trip to at least two continents. Oh well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
  • Options
    Sorry, not making myself clear. I meant, I started taking my luggage to the plane because the counter people encouraged me to do it. But on one occasion when I didn't want to do that, they kept warning me it would cost extra, which I didn't mind paying. It was like they wanted you to do it yourself instead of going through the baggage system. So mostly, I carried it to the plane but when I checked it in at the counter, I paid extra.

In any case, I'll try to squeeze everything into a backpack and my small shoulder bag (similar to a purse). If not, I'll just check it in at the counter.

Less than 1 week until departure. YAY!!
  • Options
    I thought I was pretty good at packing, but getting everything into a back pack and a "shoulder bag" would be a pipe dream. Good luck. Let us know how the trip goes. My trip isn't until the middle of June.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm totally confused. Why don't you want to take a regular suitcase, and then check it in as regular baggage? The price of your international ticket, even if for some strange reason it didn't include checked baggage (…..???? is that possible?) would make any extra charge seem infintesimal by comparison. As ndvb says, packing everything you'll need for a safari into a carryon sized backpack and a handbag sounds exceptionally optimistic to me, even … courageous …. as Sir Humphrey would say.

Cheers,

Jan
    Edit: I have to laugh. The system is obviously unaware of the BBC television series Yes, Minister and then Yes, Prime Minister. Sir H.U.M.P.H.R.E.Y Appleby was the epitome of a very British civil servant who had a Mandarin turn of phrase for everything. Some computers have no taste at all.
  • Options
    Jan,

Hell, I am going to pack everything I need into a sock and put in my jacket pocket.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ndvb wrote:
    Jan,

Hell, I am going to pack everything I need into a sock and put in my jacket pocket.
    A sock! You plan to take a sock! Good grief, are you out of your mind!

I'm reminded of all the stuff I had to take for, basically, 2 landings on Macquarie Island. And some intrepid souls who travelled from Pommyland had to bring summer gear for Australia and/or New Zealand as well, bless their hearts. That's real dedication to the art of travel! As per the usual practice for North Americans, those travellers only landed in NZ the day before and left the same day the ship docked. (How do you do a 'rolling eyes'?) But even they were staggering under the amount of gear in their suitcases. I do know that, although the hemisphere is the same, the climate and conditions are different in these 2 cases, but …. just, but …. [more rolling eyes ….. I must get that seen to.]
  • Options
    ndvb wrote:
    Jan,

I guess I should have added a "hahaha" at the end of that. It was either a joke or sarcasm, or both. Probably both.
  • Options
    Yep, a backpack and a shoulder bag would be overly optimistic and as I get more and more "essentials", clearly not possible. Even so, I wasn't concerned about the cost, I was worried about my luggage getting lost and not being found until 10 days later. If I took my suitcase to the plane and then had a reasonable weighted backpack and a shoulder bag as carry ons, I would have control over all my luggage. But since I'll have to check my suitcase at the counter, that's what I'll do.

Anybody know how much DEET to take? Are there a lot of insects this time of year? Is 3 three oz. bottles of spray (for clothes), 2 three oz. bottles of lotion and 24 wet squares enough?

And yes, panic setting in so close to departure ;)
  • Options
    Kayla's,....I made this trip in March, as a single and it was fabulous!! I made reservations to go on the Botswana trip next year, I loved it so much....you will totally feel a part of the group. Please post upon your return. Travel light as the Serena hotels offer laundry services at about $1 per item.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi Kaylar,

Try not to worry too much about your case. Just make sure you have chosen a case that meets the airlines guidelines … and the same goes for your carry on pieces. You're flying out of Toronto. You are flying on a reputable international airline to get you to east Africa. The way things generally work is that the luggage is taken care of, and sent on it's way by the ground crew at Toronto. I've transited through Toronto lots of times …. probably even qualify to say many times. Sometimes I've been flying on to another Canadian city, sometimes to the States. The horror stories you often hear have more currency for US airports. That's my personal experience and those of many other Australians. (Just the facts, ma'am. It's just the way it is, people.)

So, just to make you feel better … about the getting there and back process … here are are a few tips that might help to settle your mind.

Go to the web site for the airline that is issuing your international ticket. If you hunt around, you will find the luggage rules for both checked and carry on luggage. They will give you the case dimensions and weight restrictions. So choose your own case and carry ons accordingly and make sure the case is solid enough to survive multiple arrivals & departures. My advice is not to take one that is on its last legs.

Another tip, get a luggage strap from the travel accessories part of the luggage store/department. Buy a nasty colour, one that doesn't match your case. Put it on your case as tightly as you can and make sure you thread it under the handle. If it loosens or comes undone in transit, it might still stay on. The strap makes it much easier to capture your case from the carousel and drag it off. So much easier than finding the handle as all the cases whiz past! The strap also helps identify your case as well as helping to keep your belongings inside if the zip fails. (Chances are this will never happen, but knowing I've done this makes me feel better!) Label all your luggage inside and out.

Go to the web sites for any of the international airports you'll be transiting through. They are generally full of useful information. Knowledge is power, after all. Don't worry about the African airports. Tauck will take care of you.

Some important packing tip. Your hand luggage has to be able to contain your most valuable items: passport, travel documents, money(of course) any medication (with their original packaging), any prescriptions for that medication, any cosmetics, etc. you can't live without (remember the liquid rules!) camera, chargers for all your gadgets and a change of clothes …. a spare top and pair of knickers. The last items are the practical, I can survive till the luggage turns up bit.

And most important …. prepare for a wonderful, life changing trip.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The DEET QUESTION. Hi Kaylar, you can spray your clothing before you go on the tour. This should be done preferably outside and not on a windy day because you want to minimize any inhalation of the product. The clothing should be completely dry before you bring it inside and pack it. If you buy the correct product it will last through quite a few washes.
    When spraying the Deet on yourself, minimize the amount you use by wearing clothes that cover up most of your bare skin. Deet is powerful and not something you want to be spraying all over yourself with gay abandon. Also, consider other people nearby you if you decide to spray yourself in public because they do not want to get covered in it, especially on their hands, or eyes. Several of our trips, my husband and I have almost been overcome by other people over-spraying nearby us. We learnt on our first Africa trip not to go too crazy on the spray, it made us nauseous until we figured out the problems. Also avoid spraying it in the vicinity of food, we have seen this happen too.
    I think the wipes are a great idea, depending on whether you want to take both, I am sure one spray or lotion for your skin and one lot of wipes. On our India tour, the tour director had spray she could spray on us if we wanted.
    This is indeed a life changing and wonderful trip.
  • Options
    We have gone on a number of trips where repellent was recommended, and we have used a cream lotion called "Ultrathon." It is 34 % deet and a few years back was a number one recommendation by Consumer's Reports. It is not cheap (about ten dollars for 2 ozs...if you are a Kaiser member, it is a bit more reasonable), but we have found it to be very effective. A few dabs seem to protect us quite well. Sprays make us sort of nervous as people seem to spray them about with great abandon. Upwind, downwind, in one's face, etc. . We have never had a problem using this product and feel the protection is very effective. It might be worth checking out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Deet recommendations are between 10-30%. The stronger the deet percentage, the longer it lasts. 10% lasts about 2 hours, with 24% lasting about 5 hours. There is a long list of ways to use, and NOT use, deet. It can be used on clothing, but not under clothing.

Everyone who is suggesting to not spray Deet in an enclosed area is on the mark. Inhaling it is not recommended. Children shouldn't handle Deet either. Combination lotions or sprays of Deet and sunscreen should not be used. Sunscreen washes off in water, or with sweat, and needs to be applied more often than Deet. The more Deet you apply, the greater the chance for toxic effects. Only put it on exposed skin, not under clothing. Also, Jan and British pointed out, keep it out of your eyes, and mouth. I am only taking wipes and lotion, not sprays. I may try the Picaridin (see below).

Other options:

Permethrin...used ONLY on clothes and allow it to dry completely before wearing the clothes. It is best to put it on the clothing before you pack (and after it is completely dry). It will last through several washings.

Picaridin...a newer (around 2005 being approved in the US), odorless, non-greasy product that seems to be as effective as 10% Deet concentrations. Since it is so new, the research on contraindications is still yet to be determined. Remember, we thought DDT was safe too. It seems safe, if used as directed, so far.

There are also some products with eucalyptus or 2% soybean oil that are available. I don't know much about them. You can Google them.

I've heard, but am not sure, the US Navy Seal recommendations are for Deet concentration no higher than 25%...for what it is worth.

• Options
    joycesw wrote:
    We have gone on a number of trips where repellent was recommended, and we have used a cream lotion called "Ultrathon." It is 34 % deet and a few years back was a number one recommendation by Consumer's Reports. It is not cheap (about ten dollars for 2 ozs...if you are a Kaiser member, it is a bit more reasonable), but we have found it to be very effective. A few dabs seem to protect us quite well. Sprays make us sort of nervous as people seem to spray them about with great abandon. Upwind, downwind, in one's face, etc. . We have never had a problem using this product and feel the protection is very effective. It might be worth checking out.

Amazon sells two 2 OZ. tubes of Ultrathon for $17.96, although another listing shows a single tube for $6.52 (both Prime eligible)- go figure! It also comes in pump spray. It is a 3M product originally developed for the military to provide 12 hours of protection. I'm sure it is available at most outdoors outfitters like Bass Pro, Cabellas, Gander Mtn. etc.

5160O-5xBEL._AA160_.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. About Ultrathon, it is more than 30% Deet so not available in Canada. Deet is restricted to 30% max here. However, I bought Muskol's lotion and spray (30%) and Ben's individual wipes (20%). From what everyone's saying, it should be enough. And I plan to spray my clothes before I go, great idea.

I'll let you all know how my trip was when I get back ;)

Counting down to Thursday departure.... YAY!!!
  • Options
    Kaylar, would love to hear about your trip, I did this trip about about 2007 with Tauck but some of the hotels have changed. I am going on the Tanzania and Zanzibar trip beginning of July and can't wait. My favorite part of the trips are meeting the local people and the Ngorongoro Crater. When we visited the Massai village there was a mom with a brand new baby, they were beautiful. I am particularly looking forward to interaction with the local people again. The safaris are the icing on the cake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file