Options

Tanzania to Zanzibar this May

We have read that many laundry services do not accept women underwear. Some conflicting information whether or not the Tauck Tour Director's gratuity is already paid. Also, from the Lake Duluti Lodge can we possibly get a guide to take us closer to Mount Kilimanjaro. It sounds like most Serena Lodges accept credit cards for food, drink etc.

Any Information on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Ok women's underwear! Well I am sure you have time to launder that in your sink. One idea I have suggested in the past is take some older underwear with you that you can toss after wearing to reduce the amount of laundry to bring home and leave more space for souvenirs. You just have to hope that when you are wearing your grungy smalls that that isn't the day you end up in the hospital and your carers are commenting about the state of your undies.
    Tips for tour director. I just reread the guidelines in 'Before You Go' for the trip and it is confusing because it does read in one part that the cost of Tour Director is included, but if you look further down the list to Gratuaties you will read that they are not included. the usual suggestion has always been $8 a day per person and is of course up to the individual guest. We usually have an envelope with us, write a short thank you note and give it to the tour director at the farewell dinner, along with a big hug.
    If you go to the website of the Duluti hotel, there is a fact sheet which gives a little more info about tours, you can certainly have a guided walk of the more local mount Meru.
    Credit cards accepted.
    I suggest you call the hotel about the laundry and a trip to Mount Kilamanjaro if it is really important to you, or email them. You can then get it straight from the horses mouth, find out about price, timing for a tour and so on. Sometimes you can get answers from the forum, but often there is no response.
  • Options
    Some days it is great to come in to the forum and just find out good information about a trip you are taking. Other days it is a venue for comic relief. British's response to the underwear made me laugh and wish I had said it. Really? Underwear? (Sorry, I am still laughing!!) If underwear is an issue--go commando!

"Seriously, folks" (rim shot--Henny Youngman), I think British's idea of taking old underwear (and adding a great amount of humor with her response) is a great one. I usually have four pair in my suitcase, two in my backpack (Two reasons, one--incase my luggage is lost, and two--if someone steals my backpack they'll have to try and figure out if it is clean or dirty), and wear one. That is plenty for my trips if I just wash them out in the sink or get lucky and find a laundry. If I am desperate I figure I'll use the hotel or boat laundry. Yes, I know it is expensive, but considering the price I pay for the trip I budget a small percentage for extra expenses.

On the other issues, I emailed the Duluti Hotel about something--old timer's disease is kicking in and I don't remember what it was--and they got back to me immediately. It might have been about the Lake tour. Anyway, send them an electric, or is that digital, note and they will give you the answers to the questions you have.

I am on the Tanzania and Kenya Classic Safari in late June and I am looking forward to a great trip. I am sure you will have one also. This will be my 4th Tauck trip (with two more planned for next year already) and I have never been disappointed. In preparation, I have emailed hotels for information and I have always received assistance.

I hope you aren't too upset with us taking light of your questions, but it was done in good spirits. There always seem to be a number of issues that need taken care of before a trip and with the number of Tauck veterans who come in here, this is certainly a great place to get information. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Let us know how it goes...we enjoy hearing great stories about peoples' adventures.
  • Options
    Hey, I was being serious, I did take several days worth of underwear I usually reserve for exercising before I toss it at home to The Tauck Australia trip with me, wore it the first few days and then tossed it, it worked out great and fortunately I did not go to the hospital ---- for Australian Jan--- Wouldn't the Koala cuddling day been perfect to wear your old underwear in case the Koala had an accident! Many years ago when paper underwear was all the rage, I tried taking some on vacation and it was a disaster, after the first couple of bathroom stops they were in shreds. Now another tip for the men, if all you American guys can wear tightie whitees instead of those bulky boxer shorts, that really reduces weight and space, yes seriously. Fortunately my hubby always wears skimpy European underwear, that helps our packing a lot and that's maybe why we never have a problem with suitcase space on our Tauck tours. Laugh if you like!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Too much information, but I did laugh....out loud!!!!
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Hey, I was being serious, I did take several days worth of underwear I usually reserve for exercising before I toss it at home to The Tauck Australia trip with me, wore it the first few days and then tossed it, it worked out great and fortunately I did not go to the hospital ---- for Australian Jan--- Wouldn't the Koala cuddling day been perfect to wear your old underwear in case the Koala had an accident! Many years ago when paper underwear was all the rage, I tried taking some on vacation and it was a disaster, after the first couple of bathroom stops they were in shreds. Now another tip for the men, if all you American guys can wear tightie whitees instead of those bulky boxer shorts, that really reduces weight and space, yes seriously. Fortunately my hubby always wears skimpy European underwear, that helps our packing a lot and that's maybe why we never have a problem with suitcase space on our Tauck tours. Laugh if you like!

O. M. Goodness!!!!! I just found this. ………………… can't talk yet …………………….I am going to have to shake out the keyboard and strain the monitor! See? Your Mum always told to wear neat knickers, didn't she! As the emergency room staff peeled off various unmentionables to get to your claw wounds. And after Harold had had his yucky and painful way with you … I reckon everything would be pretty grungy! :)))))) On my first trip to Europe in 1974 I took paper knickers. Maybe they made things better in the olden days, but I was able to hand wash them and get 2 wears out of them. I did try three wears, but …. arh … too much information! My Mum always packed a set of travelling undies for Dad. No, they didn't have their own passport! They were light weight models. Worked well, I gather. (Disclaimer: I do not have any personal knowledge of my late father's travelling undies. They may well have travelled with their own passport for all I know!)

Now I need to see about getting some extra oxygen into my lungs. Laughing too much is no laughing matter. Laughing with, not at, you understand. ……………………………………..hic……………………………snigger…………………………………………………………………...

Cheers,

Jan