Options

On Tour Flights

What types of planes are used for the on tour flights in Tanzania and Kenya? Are they puddle jumpers? How many passengers?

Comments

• Options
    Hi ndvb,

While on tour, you'll be flying on de Havilland Canada's "Twin Otter" -7 or -8's, depending on the length of the airstrip and number of people on tour. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "puddle jumpers" but depending on the model, they seat anywhere from 39-78 depending on the make and model of the particular plane used.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    Puddle jumpers are small 4-10 seat prop planes. Looks like these are a bit bigger. Thanks.
  • Options
    Well, they might be bigger, but I still considered them "puddle jumpers." Sorry, Tim, but we were not on planes that large! The first three flights (Serengeti to Arusha, Amboseli to Mt. Kenya, Mt. Kenya to Masai Mara) are on some pretty small planes. Our group of 30 broke into two groups to do those flights, so only 15 or so could fit on. You know you are on a small plane when there is no co-pilot (on the first flight) or the co-pilot is giving the safety talk, from his seat, and handing out hard candies for the in-flight snack!! The final flight from Masai Mara to Nairobi was on a larger plane like the one Tim describes. In other words, we all got on that flight and even had some room for a few others!
    With that said, the flights were excellent, and, actually, a lot of fun! That from a wary flyer! The scenery was beautiful and seeing the animal tracks from the air was quite amazing! This is the very best way to traverse the area covered! You do not want to spend any more time riding the "roads" in this area than necessary!
  • Options
    Tim, puddle jumpers are a great way to get around. I was hoping they'd be small and prop jobs. They fly low and give everyone a great view. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file