Options

Vaccination

Do you think we need Hep. B, MMR booster, Polio. Shots if born in the 1940's?

Comments

• Options
    Best to take the advice of your medical practitioner. These are some pretty nasty diseases you're dealing with. You don't want to take chances with your health or the people you love.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Yes. We had all of the recommended shots for Kenya and Tanzania, including Yellow Fever. No problem with any. They will want to see that Yellow Fever sticker as you enter the airport in Arusha. While it was optional for our ages, we took no chances. We have Kaiser, and, as part of the coverage, their travel clinic recommends and orders what vaccinations and medications will be needed for one's destination.
  • Options
    You should have MMR and polio boosters as a matter of routine even if you aren't traveling anywhere. Go to the CDC website. And consult with a travel physician or family Dr well in advance of your travel. Hep A and Malaria meds will also be mentioned. It can be expensive for all these shots depending on where you get them. Why take any risks when you are going to be traveling to such remote areas. Once you get all the shots you will be good for all future travels for at least 10 years
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just had my consultation with the travel immunologist and received shots for Yellow Fever and Hepatitis A. I also received an oral Rx for malaria and was asked how long ago I had a tetanus shot. Tetanus is good for 10 years. He said that since I am traveling with Tauck (or any other reputable travel organization) and am only going for a short time, those would be all that would be needed. When I asked about MMR, Polio and Hepatitis B his comments were that I am traveling in a Tauck "bubble" and that other immunizations would not be necessary. Hepatitis B is required if you are planning on hooking up with a local for sex or are an IV drug user. Those aren't on my "to do list", so I opted out of that Rx. Also, if I was going for a long time, or living in a village with a local family, my needs would be different. His thoughts were that there is no reason to overdo it. He also gave me an antibiotic just incase of an intestinal infection and he suggested taking Imodium to go along with the antibiotic incase of an intestinal bug.

I thought his best suggestions were concerning food and water:

1. Boil it. Water needs to be boiled or come from a credible bottled water company (make sure it is SEALED).
    2. Cook it. Eat in Tauck certified and hotel restaurants and make sure the meat and vegetables are cooked not raw.
    3. Peel it. Only eat fruit that you peel YOURSELF (bananas, oranges, etc.) and make sure the peel doesn't have any splits or openings.
    4. Leave it. If it doesn't fit into those categories leave it alone.
    5. NO RAW SALADS....NONE....ANYWHERE (refer to item two....no raw veggies).
    6. USE BOTTLED WATER, EVEN TO RINSE YOUR MOUTH WHEN BRUSHING YOUR TEETH. (This is when most people get some sort of intestinal infection. They drink bottled water but use tap water to brush their teeth.)

Basic thought was two rules--first. follow 1-6, second. no one can change 1-6.

All these immunizations were based on MY physical health. Your physician may have some other course of prophylactic medications based on your overall health conditions and their philosophy. I am also a child of the 40s, by the way.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, everybody. And nvdb, thank you very much for the advice from your immunologist.

CDH, the best things you can do is consult with your physician, and make sure to do your homework. We definitely advise checking the CDC and WHO pages. Here's a link to the CDC page and WHO page respectively.

I hope this helps, and I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!

-Tim