Botswana Weather

I just returned from the Kalahari camp in Botswana. We stayed in camps with no heat, and had lanterns.
Just a word about the weather. It is really getting cold, even during the day. I would suggest a warm hat, gloves, and a fleece jacket. I myself wore 2 pairs of pants, and perhaps you have some fleece pants too that you want to bring along. Better be safe with a few extra clothes than be cold.

Comments

• Thank you Maria for warning us. We will be on the same trip in April 2015
    Was is cold only in the Kalahari or elsewhere as well ?? We will pack accordingly!
    We decided on April because we will be staying a few more days in Cape Town at the end and do not want it too cold for that! Anything else we need to know??? We did the Elegant Adventure a couple of year ago. That was a great trip as well. We got bit by the wanderlust bug somewhere along the way. Going to Australia and NZ later this year! Thanks in advance for any other info you may want to share.
    Trixie, St. Pete, FL
  • Hi Trixie,

Supposedly it was unseasonably cold for this time of year, but I would definitely bring the cold weather gear.

When going on Safari they have lined ponchos which helped most of our group keep warm.

Be prepared to eat lots of food.

In Capetown we had real strong winds and was unable to do our free time trip to Table Mountain. Fortunately we had a late departure our last day and was able to hire a taxi with a couple of others to get us up to the bottom of Table mountain where we bought our tickets. (better idea to buy tickets in advance at the hotel and go through the express line)

Since you're staying an extra day or two at Cape Town you might want to make your own reservations in advance for Robben's (sp) Island. I guess it sells out months in advance.

Maria

• Thank you Maria for your prompt response. The "Elegant Adventure" took us to Table Mountain and also to Robben Island. So no need to do that again. We will try to get a day trip to Cape Winelands and Stellenbosh. I am sure the concierge will be able to arrange that! Again, thank you!! Trixie
  • Maria S wrote:
    I just returned from the Kalahari camp in Botswana. We stayed in camps with no heat, and had lanterns.
    Just a word about the weather. It is really getting cold, even during the day. I would suggest a warm hat, gloves, and a fleece jacket. I myself wore 2 pairs of pants, and perhaps you have some fleece pants too that you want to bring along. Better be safe with a few extra clothes than be cold.

We are taking the September 21, 2014 trip, and very excited. Thank you for your input. They said in August the nights were cold so I would imagine they are in September also.
    How were your bathroom accommodations in Kalahari?