Options

What to wear on spirit of the desert

We are going on the 5-15-2014 trip and cannot wait. Any advice on what to wear during the day touring and also do people "dress up" for dinner as on our European tours? Thanks, Billybutz

Comments

• Options
    Hi Billybutz,

The below is taken from the Clothing and Packing section of the Before You Go for this trip:
    The weather you will encounter on this journey ranges from hot and dry in Arizona and Nevada to cool and dry at the higher elevations in the national parks. Your journey is designed with leisure in mind. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. Generally, during the day, casual, comfortable, cotton clothing is recommended. Cool weather at higher elevations or at night will require warmer, layered clothing. For the welcome and farewell receptions, casual resort wear is appropriate; formal wear is never required.

We recommend that you pack an adequate supply of your prescription medication in its original container to last through your entire journey, together with a copy of your doctor’s prescription, or a letter from your health-care provider on office stationery explaining that the medication has been prescribed for you, your travel documents and a change of clothing in your carry-on bag to avoid any inconvenience in the event that your flight or luggage is delayed.

Following is a list of recommended items to pack for Spirit of the Desert: The National Parks of the Southwest:
    • Casual daytime wear – shorts, slacks, long and short-sleeved shirts
    • Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat
    • Swimwear
    • Gym wear
    • A light sweater or jacket for higher elevations or a breezy night
    • Windbreaker for the raft trip
    • Binoculars
    • Insect repellent
    • Camera, lenses, batteries, memory cards and/or plenty of film
    • Telephoto lens
    • Backpack or belt-pack
    • Lightweight, comfortable, sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in
    • Battery-operated travel alarm clock
    • Rain poncho and collapsible umbrella
    • Zipper-lock bags
    • Daypack for camera equipment
    • Sundries and toiletries that may be difficult to find en route
    • Copies of your travel documents that should be secured in the safe in your hotel room while traveling

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    My husband and I went on this tour last year. You'll have a fantastic time...do not fret over dressy clothes. The only time you'll have a need is in Las Vegas at the farewell dinner and any show you'll want to do on your own. Dress for comfort as there'll be lots of hiking opportunities. Your shoes should be comfortable for easy walking. Lastly, make sure you have a hat, light jacket, and good sun block.
  • Options
    I agree with Susan. Except for Las Vegas, we lived in cowboy shirts and blue jeans for every other day. This really is a fabulous way to see the Grand Canyon and the other five National Parks. We went in late August and I expected that the mules would drop from heat exhaustion, but everything was fine with the concessionaires in all of the parks. (We were also fine on mules in late August when we did the Sequoia and Yosemite tour.)
  • Options
    This is a fantastic trip, did it in September two years ago. I totally agree with previous posts, you only need to get dressed up for the last dinner in Las Vegas. This is a very informal trip with fantastic scenery and the parks are amazing. Only thing I might add is take a bathing suite for the nights at Red Cliff Lodge (could be warm to hot and they have a great pool. The hotel in Las Vegas also has a great pool area although we did not take advantage while we were there.

Have a great trip you will love it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file