Hiking poles, snorkeling gloves, bathrobes on Isabella?

3 questions as I'm getting ready to pack for our April 22 departure.

Hiking Poles - I've read on the forum they aren't needed at Macchu Picchu and that they are available on the Isabella for the Galapagos. Should we bring our own?

Snorkeling gloves - they are listed on the New Headings site, but are they really helpful/needed? (We scuba dive and the rule is never touch anything under the water so have never worn them in the past.)

Are there bathrobes on the Isabella? I know it is silly to think of wasting valuable packing space with even a lightweight robe, but just wondering. I assume they would be available at the hotels, but don't know about the ship.

Thanks everyone! We had signed up for this trip in 2013, but had to reschedule because of my husband's back surgery. He's fit as a fiddle now and we're doubly excited about finally getting to go on this fabulous trip.

Comments

• Hi RFLarkins,

I've taken a look, and it's generally agreed that hiking poles are not needed if you're in good shape. As to the snorkeling gloves, whether or not you choose to buy any is, of course, up to you, but if you're not planning on touching anything you should be fine without them. And lastly, there are no bathrobes on the Isabella as far as I am aware, although they are indeed available at the hotels.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • RFLarkins wrote:

Hiking Poles - I've read on the forum they aren't needed at Macchu Picchu and that they are available on the Isabella for the Galapagos. Should we bring our own?

Are there bathrobes on the Isabella? I know it is silly to think of wasting valuable packing space with even a lightweight robe, but just wondering. I assume they would be available at the hotels, but don't know about the ship.

There are poles to borrow on the Isabella. I brought my own, and it still carries a sticker with my cabin number! (Such great memories!) Everyone used a walking pole, even the naturalists. Some walks are over very rocky ground … you are picking your way over and on a rock-strewn landscape. You need to watch your feet and where you're putting them and a pole is really useful for keeping your balance. And … to put between yourself and any very curious seal pups, boobies, etc., etc. (And no, I'm not being vulgar! :)) )

As for bathrobes …. I have a memory of people wandering back from the Jacuzzi in a bright orange robe … but maybe Im dreaming. I can't think why, apart from covering bathers, you'd need to pack one. Save that space for something you really need … like a second pair of water shoes or sandals.

Cheers,

Jan

• Thanks so much you all! Fran
  • I am going to respectfully disagree with Jan on this one. We did not bring hiking poles and did just fine. In fact, we found hiking poles to be sort of dangerous for those of us who did not have them. We found that the people who brought them read that they would be needed and were not adept at using them. They tended to drag them along, behind them, when they weren't using them. Hence, those of us behind them were tripping over them. Some on our trip flailed them about, and, frankly, it was sort of scary! They were fine, if one knew how to use them properly. Otherwise, they were a danger to the rest of us. So, if you are going to bring hiking poles, and have not used them before, it would behove you to practice using them on walks around your home areas before going on this trip! Yes, much of the terrain is uneven and you are hopping from rock to rock. What would serve you better is a good pair of shoes. You need a flexible sole to your shoe. We had a pair of Merrill water shoes with a vibram sole, and one of the naturalists even commented that they were great shoes for this trip. The sole is flexible while still giving excellent support. A tennis shoe with a stiff sole will present a problem.
    We broke into three groups:fast, slow and moderate walkers. Those groups did not necessarily indicate one's ability, but rather one's desire to see the sights and walk on the trails. That seemed to solve most of the problems about getting around the islands. Rather than a bathrobe, I would bring some lightweight clothes pins and some sort of a line to hang things to dry...bathing suits, coverups, etc. . As far as snorkeling gloves...you shouldn't be touching anything underwater in the interests of preserving the pristine waters, so why would you need gloves?
  • It's all horses for courses, Joyce! I'm just glad I was with a group know knew how to use their poles. Waving them around …. good grief. Some kids, er … adults … don't know their own strength! ;)

I had the Merrill water shoes. They worked for me, but it was a pain having to dry my feet, put socks on/off … I was envious of those wearing the Teva sandal type shoes. Sadly my poor tootsies are too tender to cope with walking long distances with wet feet in sandals. But everyone who wore them sore by them so it's worth considering them. Most of the landings were wet … and the crew always had towels. I just felt like a walrus lumbering about on the sand. Don't hold that thought ...

Cheers,

Jan
  • I do not remember seeing any recommendations about hiking poles when we did the trip. But I have had the experiences Joyce mentions with people dragging walking sticks and the like behind them. Worse, there were people wearing flip flops on our trip despite recommendations for enclosed toe shoes, my heart was in my mouth for them on the jagged rocks. Bathrobes! We always walk around our room butt naked. But have a t shirt handy in case of the fire alarm !
  • We took hiking sticks and only used them the first day. No one else used them and they really were not helpful. There are no bath robes at least not when we were there. As far as foot wear a good closed toe Teva sandle worked the best but some wore water shoes. Just make sure they have a good solid sole as the rocks are rough and sharp. A great trip so enjoy.
    Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file