Others on the 17 July 2014 tour?

We (Scott and Judy) will be on that tour. Old home for me since, among other things, I led staff rides for senior US military officers to Normandy for 6 years, but all new for my wife.

As a new tour, no past experiences to expect anyone to share, so we are blazing new trails.

We were on the Swiss Sapphire for a Christmas Markets cruise last December and it was GREAT! Very much looking forward to returning to the ship and France...and, of course, London.

Comments

• We, John and Evelyn, will also be on the July 17 tour. This will be our second trip with Tauck. Can't wait for July to arrive. We are already getting our clothes and gear together.
  • We will also be on the 7/15 trip (Donna & Ken). It'll be our third Tauck trip and our first riverboat cruise. Can't wait!

Our tour doesn't go to Le Louvre or Eiffel Tower, I believe?

We'll be there a day early in Versailles, so does anyone know the best way to go from there to Paris for a day?

Thank you!
  • Jerry and I will be on this trip; it will be our second Tauck river cruise. Loved our Moselle/Rhine cruise last October. There are so many things that we want to see and do.....definitely need some help from the cruise directors! Counting down the days....
  • dmking wrote:
    We will also be on the 7/15 trip (Donna & Ken). It'll be our third Tauck trip and our first riverboat cruise. Can't wait!

Our tour doesn't go to Le Louvre or Eiffel Tower, I believe?

We'll be there a day early in Versailles, so does anyone know the best way to go from there to Paris for a day?

Thank you!

First, I think from looking at the itinerary that there will be a couple of afternoons with some free time. Depending on where the ship docks (these are the days after Versailles) it may be easy to get to the Eiffel Tower. The Louvre is pretty much a full day, at a minimum.

Second, perhaps for the Louvre, you can take the RER (local train system) from Versailles to just across the river from the Louvre. The concierge at the hotel can give you precise details. The trains run very frequently...essentially an extension of the Metro subway.
  • edited June 2014
    Just a heads up: for the 17 July 2014 tour, at least, there are some subtle itinerary changes I noted when I compared the on-line description with the version I captured several months ago.

In my opinion, all for the good:
    Les Andelys day expanded a bit to specifically note Calvados tasting (which had earlier been a feature of one of the options)...minor to be sure.
    Normandy day now not a choice between the D-Day sights at Normandy or a tour of Rouen...everybody gets to go to Normandy (which would have been our choice anyway...see post #1)
    Rouen day (before was not a separate stop) walking tour of town with Joan d'Arc focus and later in the day a visit to Jumieges Abbey (which might have been part of the "Abbey Road" description for this day previously.

So, in summary, you don't have to choose between Normandy and Rouen which pleases us.

See some of you in just a few weeks!

P.S. our tour docs arrived today and describe the former itinerary. My guess (hope) is that since they've run this trip a couple of times now, they've made the on-line changes in response to comments about having to choose between Normandy and Rouen...and that's what we'll get. We'll know in a month or so.
  • You two are enjoying each others presence so much. Very much appreciate that. Good luck with your beautiful tours for both now and future.
  • edited July 2014
    Off to the airport in a few hours (we're arriving a day early in Versailles)...very exciting. Looking forward to meeting all on this tour!

Scott & Judy

P.S. Anyone from Tauck or from an earlier edition of this tour who can answer where the ship is likely to be docked in Paris would be greatly appreciated. On the other hand, we'll know in a couple of days.
  • We are also on this tour. Just called Tauck. The ship will be docked at Port de Javel Bas, 75015 Paris. However, this is subject to change based on water conditions.
  • Sidecar,

Thanks for the information on the likely docking location. Certainly understand that things may change. The site you list is about a 30 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and only 5 minutes or so to the Metro.

See you in Versailles!

Scott

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file