Options

Laundry

Am going on Kenya/Tanzania Classic Safari July 19. Am unclear regarding laundry situation. Is it typical high prices like US hotels? Any self service? I wear a lot of dry fit type clothing but will eventually need things to have a good washing.

Have also seen commentary on slip on shoes to keep seats clean. Would a clog type shoe work?

Comments

• Options
    I sent my laundry out a few times and I did not think it was that expensive and it was very convenient. I don't believe there is any self service. Most of the people on my trip wore sneakers. As I recall, I don't think anyone took them off because it is the last thing you are thinking about when you see a lion 10 feet from your land cruiser and you want to get a picture. However, if your shoes are dirty, you could always put a small towel on the seat before standing on it. This is an amazing trip. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Laundry is the most reasonable price that you will see. It's the only time we have had laundry done on a Tauck trip although one of my husband's safari type travel shirts was pretty much ruined, everything else was OK. ( oh, now remember that boat on Galapagos trip got laundry done inexpensive.y for us)
    Perhaps someone from Tauck can now answer the shoe question. When we did the Kenya Tanzania trip, it was strictly no shoes standing on seats. No one broke the rule. When I posted before, I did not mean backless shoes like clogs, I meant, slip on shoes, not lace up shoes. If clogs are worn they may come off when you are clambering into the vehicle. We will be going to Tanzanire ater in the year, it will be interesting g to see what rules are then.
  • Options
    We are planning on taking this tour next year. I was thinking that I might take along a pair of lightweight shoe cover-ups- the kind with elastic band around the top that you slip over your shoes when taking a home tour, etc.

Has anyone seen these being used or have any comments?
  • Options
    Yes, laundry is very reasonable in all of the Serena Lodges. We wore a lot of dry fit and washed out some things outselves as they dried so quickly. We always travel with some powdered detergent in a baggie. The biggest problem for us, in mid-October, was the dust, and while "sink washing" is not always effective, it did serve to take that dust layer off some of our things.
    I have also posted before about the shoes. It is, in my opinion, rude to stand on the seats in one's dusty shoes. Not only do the drivers try to keep their vehicles in decent shape, we switched around seats, and it would also be inconsiderate to your fellow travelers to get the seats dirtier by standing on them. I wore lightweight lace up sneakers but kept them untied. I kicked them off when I wanted to stand on the seats and just had my socks on. Sometimes I just rested my feet on the top of the sneakers, keeping them off the floor but ready to stand on a seat quickly.
    Instead of buying shoe covers, you could always just use those plastic shower caps that are plentiful in all of the hotels. I always use them to pack shoes in my suitcase, a good travel tip I learned from a Tauck Tour Director years ago! While that is a good idea, you still have to put them on each time or else your shoe cover will rest on the dirty floorboard in between sightings. It's seems like it would be just as easy to keep them unlaced and kick them off. I agree that you need something sturdier than clogs. Have you investigated Skechers brand? I have a pair of sneaker-type shoes that slip on. However, I'm not sure if that style is made for men. They would be perfect...no laces and easy on and off.
  • Options
    Thanks to Joyce for backing me up on this one, and I even forgot that we are not always in the same vehicle. Putting over -shoe protectors on are a pain in the neck, ever tried it? Love the shower cap tip, will use it for shoe packing in the future, but think the plastic may be too slippery for safety on a seat. As I grew up in England where shoes are expensive, I always take good care of any shoes I own so tend to go to the trouble of always untying sneakers when I take them off, but I do notice most Americans slip that type of shoe off without untying. This will solve the whole 'shoe' debate. I always appreciated the tip that was posted about being able to slip shoes off easily on the safaris before I did my first safari and now I love and own a couple of Merrill /Land's End type suede slip on shoes that I wear for grip in bad weather, safari and other types of Tauck trips, shoveling snow. They get good use and are fully washable which you will need on return from safari. Both available in men's and women's sizes
  • Options
    I am figuring my Keen's will make great shoes for this trip. Lightweight, closed toe, sandal-like, can be worn with or without socks, wash off easily in the tub, dry quickly, easy-on-easy-off, etc. I use these shoes on all of the trips...good for walking. Should be a good match for this trip.
  • Options
    Hi ndvb,
    I will be curious to see what others post. To be honest, my opinion would be that Keens are a bit too open for this trip, although, they certainly fit all of the other characteristics of a worthy shoe. There are times you walk through brush and I would like a bit more protection from a more closed shoe. Certainly, hiking shoes would be overkill and unnecessary. We used "water shoes" that we used on a Galapagos trip. They look like sneakers but are lightweight, have mesh upper parts and pop out inner soles. They offer a bit more protection than the Keens. Ours are Merrill's, but I think Slamon ( sp?) also makes a pair. Hopefully, others will weigh in on the Keens and if they have been a good shoe to use for this wonderful trip. I do not recall anyone on our trip using them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I like my Keens but if they aren't appropriate for the terrain I'll have to make a change. I looked up the Salomon shoes and they resemble the Keens but have mesh over the open sections. I've used the Keens hiking around in Colorado and never had a problem with the brush but did have problems with pebbles or stones sneaking in through the sides. That will something to keep in mind.

It is always nice to hear from people who have already taken the trip and help with the equipment list. I just want to make sure I have something that slips on and off in the Jeep--actually, in the airplane trip there too.
  • Options
    Keen now makes a "Keen McKenzie" which has mesh in the open areas, much like the Salomon. I'll check those out too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file