Options

Best month to travel

I am planning on taking the Kenya/Tanzania trip anytime between September 2014-2015. When is the best month to go?? Also, what kind of camera should I bring (I'm not a photographer, and want something to take fabulous pix of animals on this excursion)??

Comments

• Options
    I suggest you look at past posts on the Kenya & Tanzania Forum site as everything you ever wanted to know about this trip is already there.
  • Options
    As far as a camera goes, I suggest that you consider the Canon Powershot SX50 or similar (Nikon and Panasonic / Lumix have similar models). It's a high end point-and-shoot camera with a 50x zoom. I have seen some great wildlife shots taken by others with that camera and the corresponding Lumix model on the past two trips I've taken. Also, it is lightweight, which your neck will appreciate. Whatever model you get, I recommend that you practice at the zoo before your trip.
  • Options
    Thank you for the camera suggestions. I have a friend who has offered to loan me hers and will be visiting the zoo to start taking pictures.
    Meanwhile, I cannot find any information as to which month is the best to take this trip of a lifetime. When I've looked on line (Google) to see the best month(s) to go to this part of the world, each month seems to have something different, but nothing screamed "go this month". I don't know if Tauck's lower prices for the 2 months are due to low season, rains, heat (although it doesn't seem to be the latter).. I am retiring in June, and just want to go when it is the most optimal to see the animals with the fewest tsetse's and no daily downpours.
    I'm not very computer savvy, have tried to look at other postings on Tauck's site but found nothing helpful. I would appreciate any information from those who have gone or are going so I can firm up my reservation.
    I did find reading all the information about airline flights very helpful(darn, and I have several hundred thousand miles on United I'd hoped to use!).
    Please help guide this soon to be retired teacher about when I should book so I can have something to look forward to.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just to keep you going till one of the Africa experts posts, I have a few tips for you to get the best out of these forums.

In the pale blue bar across the top of the Travel Forums Home page, you'll see a tab for search. Hit that, and you will come to a basic search form. Can I suggest that you narrow you search thus:

For region type Africa. You will find heaps and heaps of useful posts. Much of the useful information crosses over between countries and regions.

Search again, this time adding the word Leo as the search term to your African region. (Rather than the name of a lion, Leo is one of our most knowledgeable African travellers!) His posts are detailed and authoritative. Leo really knows Africa, is a regular visitor and gives excellent tips. I'm sure if he sees your post he'll reply … if he's not travelling … in Africa.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi travelingteacher,

You have discovered an important fact about this trip. All the good stuff is not crammed into one month. This is one of the reasons so many people go back multiple times. Also, the choice of which features are the good stuff can be intensely personal. I believe that the only bad decision you can make is deciding to regret the things things you missed because of the the time of year you went. Relax and enjoy.

Nick
  • Options
    Hello,
    I understand your situation perfectly! I labored over this very same question for months about a year ago. The forum posts were very helpful, but if you notice--everyone had a wonderful time regardless of the month. What made me finally choose this coming July 26th trip is that we will be in the Maasi Mara about the first week of August. The hot air balloon ride is over the Mara, and at this time of year the migration will be crossing the river into the Mara. The sight from above should be spectacular. If you search the internet with your question you will find several sights offering answers with "virtual" showings of where the migration is at which month. Where the migration is was more important to us rather than temperatures etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Francesca
  • Options
    I always look at the Before you go section of the website that will give average temps and rainfall. Them I go to Fodor's travel books on line and check out the When To Go section for the country. Best to avoid the two rainy seasons, very muddy for roads and more mosquitoes and maybe tsetse flies. We did not go at migration but still saw hundreds of animals. You will not be disappointed.
    Note on balloon rides. Don't forget these are very dependent on weather on the day, on our trip the balloon ride was cancelled on the morning and the following backup day, so that was two mornings getting up at 4am. My husband was disappointed but I wasn't as we got the same effect on the low plane rides on the internal flights in the bush planes and a longer sleep! Tauck also refunded the balloon ride money virtually as soon as we arrived home.we are returning to Tanzania in July. Love Africa and there's plenty more than animals to wow you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file