Options

Flights with Tauck

I am having trouble getting flights through Tauck. Made our Africa reservations 3 weeks ago and was told a Tauck rep would contact us right away to set up flights. I am a CPA and this is my busy season so I wanted to get this out of the way before I was working 15 hour days. AFTER 2 phone calls and 2 emails I STILL have not heard from Tauck. Now I am concerned that this does not bode well for our trip. My pet peeve is someone who does not return phone calls or emails. I do not call unless I really need so something. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Comments

• Options
    Never had a problem, done lots of tours with them, sometimes we book flights with Tauck, sometimes ourselves. If you call during the day, you are usually put straight through to flight people. Where are you traveling from in the US, we have done this tour with them and are doing the Tanzania only trip later in the year.? Flying to Arusha there are few choices but maybe I can help with info we know from past experience
  • Options
    Leaving out of St. Louis, Mo
  • Options
    Yikes, don't know about St. Louis. Generally speaking, Tauck use Delta, linking up with KLM at Schipol Amsterdam and then on to Arusha. Tauck organized our first flights to Arusha seven years ago and they had us flying from Philly to Detroit and then Schipol. This time we knew better and asked to start our journey from Newark to Schipol which is far more convenient and less tiring for us. If you have not flown through this Amsterdam airport before, it's huge and it seems to be that they do not open up the gate so you have anywhere to sit until just before the flight, so you end up sitting on the floor--- now if you fly business class which we did not, you probably have a nice lounge somewhere.
    I would advise this rather than traveling with BA via Nairobi , which is not a nice airport at all! plus I believe it involves a nighttime overlay there. You do not want to be there, it's crazy busy roads and not safe to be wondering around on your own. But of course there is no avoiding that airport on the way back.
    See what deals you can find and decide whether it is worth waiting to find out Tauck's prices.
    this was the only time we did not fly in early before a Tauck tour, we were nervous our first time to Africa. Now I would get in early and rest a couple of days before the tour begins to get over the jet lag and the early safari days
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    We don't plan to go until 2015, but have been investigating air options, so I think you should fly Ethiopian Air- be a guinea pig for us.

Seriously, though, in my "Flight Arrangements" thread on this page LLVicky, a Tauck traveler, reports she had a fine flight (business) experience with ET. ET has their share of horror stories to be sure (check out Skytraxx), but so do many of the airlines serving Africa- people are more inclined to complain than share praise. A vast majority of the complaints appear to be a result of dealings with ground personnel or experiences in coach. ndvb, another Tauck traveler, will be flying ET, but I don't know when. We need more data points.

Ethiopian AL has the most modern aircraft- they have been taking deliveries of new Boeing 787 Dreamliners and new 777-300ER's, and are scheduled to get more. They are the highest rated African Airline and provide training and maintenance to the others.

The routing we are considering leaves from Dulles and flies direct to Addis Abbaba's modern Bole airport, we will have a short layover before taking a quick flight on ET to Arusha. The return routing leaves at 6 PM from Nairobi (earlier than most of the other flights), flies to Addis Abbaba for another short layover, then the main long haul return flight makes a brief, 1 hour stop for fuel, in Rome before the same plane continues on to Dulles. So, for both long haul segments you have the same plane and avoid stops/plane changes in places like Schiphol, Charles DeGaulle, Heathrow, Frankfort, etc. like all of the other airlines- and so have the shortest enroute times.

The best part, business class on Ethiopian is $3000 cheaper per passenger than what the Delta website lists for Delta/KLM business class (from Atlanta). We live between ATL and IAD but have family in the DC area and can drive up a few days early. I don't know what Tauck charges for business class routing, but ndvb said it was more than ET. For you, it is still almost $3000 cheaper per traveler to take a Delta flight to Dulles and fly ET than if you were to fly business on Delta/KLM from St. Louis. Plus according to Delta's website to get the fare that is only $3000 more than ET 's routing you would need to get transport from LaGuardia to JFK, or pay thousands more per ticket for a more direct routing via Detroit or Atlanta.

I would not consider flying Ethiopian in coach, however.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Had a terrible time with Tauck not returning phone calls and emails and now find out flight from Amsterdam to Mt Kilimanjaro is no longer available and we have to book it on our own. Most disappointed in Tauck and haven't even started our trip. Has anyone flown Kenya Air?
  • Options
    My flights on ET are coming home from Nairobi to Addis Ababa and from Addis Ababa to Dulles. Both are business class and were done with miles. When I checked other airlines (for $$$ or miles) they were considerably more expensive.

I share the same safety concern with ET, but have been assured by several people on here who have flown with ET that their experience was good. I have never used Tauck for flights because I have always had enough miles to make the trips. I am actually coming to Tanzania from Venice after a Disney cruise with one of my daughters and her family. I am flying to Europe from Newark to Barcelona. My trips aren't until the middle of June to the middle of July. If I am going before you, I'll be sure to stop in and let you know how the ET flights were. I am expecting the best.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file