Options

What kind of jacket?

We are going on the March 10th Grand Australia/New Zealand tour. I am struggling with what kind of jacket to bring. I bought a very lightweight, black down one. Black because it goes with everything, but I am thinking that it may be too dark and too warm. Would love to know what others recommend!

Comments

• Options
    Are you sure you even need a down jacket? Or even a jacket? Have you looked at the temperatures for that time of year? The coldest temps on average that you might expect on the 'before you go' part of the website are in Queenstown in NZ (62 degrees F) and that's at night when I assume you will be asleep in bed. Also note that as - Australia is having a terrible heat wave right now only 6 weeks away from tour trip date, it may still be extra warm.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have a great little North Face shell that is waterproof and wind resistant. Layered with a sweater, it suits me for every climate I might encounter (except, the Northeast with wind chill temps). Of course you need to bring some sort of jacket when you are doing this trip. Weather is finicky, and it is always best to be prepared. If your jacket is waterproof, it will serve you well. I think I know the type of lightweight jacket your are talking about. If it is waterproof, that is all you will need. I used my jacket frequently, in March, in New Zealand. I would not think of doing this trip without some sort of jacket!
  • Options
    Thank you, Joycesw! On your recommendation, I am going to shop for a shell today.
  • Options
    Thanks for being my backstop, Joyce! I have been having intermittent logon issues. The poor Tauck techies have been working very hard. Thanks, Tim!

Back to the jacket! Joyce is right. But at first I did wonder why she told you to wear a shell. Oysters, scollops, dungeness crabs … but not people. ;))))))) So I looked it up! I really doubt you'd need any kind of rugged, outdoors hiking jacket. What you need is a light, squashable, waterproof & windproof jacket. So if a shell is such a garment in American English, go froth and shop with abandon, Susan!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Okay, Jan...I am not talking Beth Midler oyster shell here...a "shell" jacket is a lightweight, rain resistant jacket. Do not think crustaceons! A North Face (brand name in US, very reliable) shell is squashable, reliable, and fashionable. I have actually been using a white (with gray accents) shell for years, and it has served me well! Mine is waterproof, windproof and, when layered, quite warm. It also folds into almost nothing in my suitcase (or golf bag when on my home turf). A "shell" is not a serious backpacker type jacket. It is merely a lightweight, usually rainproof, windproof, jacket that is meant to be layered for cooler weather. In short, it is perfect for that Aussie/New Zealand weather!!
  • Options
    What about in the evenings as far as outerwear?
  • Options
    A jacket is required pretty much the same as daytime. The only time we needed to wear a jacket was if it was raining and only in New Zealand. March is a good time to go and we saw little rain especially in Australia except perhaps Melbourne. New Zealand is a beautiful country and we could have spent a lot more time there but were gone a month so that was long enough. A great part of the world but beware around Cairnes is very humid and the outback is very hot and dry.
    Gary
  • Options
    Thank you to all who offered advice. I purchased a lightweight Pantagonia waterproof jacket yesterday. It will layer well and I think it will be perfect!
  • Options
    You're welcome, Susan, and now I know what a shell is, too! ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    roz47 wrote:
    What about in the evenings as far as outerwear?

You might want to consider that travel wardrobe perennial, the pashmina wrap. Also useful as a Big scarf, too! Seriously, I doubt you'd need anything more than an all purpose, wind-proof jacket (aka shell) and a light wrap … pashmina or even cotton. Silk if you want to be posh! ;))

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    A pashmina is always a great choice for evenings. I also brought a lightweight cotton sweater that was a bit dressier. The real key to this trip is to include items that serve many purposes!
  • Options
    Joyce? A question … just because language is different all over the place.:))

Sweater: do you consider a garment that buttons up the front, (but not a jacket) a sweater, too? I'd call that a cardigan.

Just 'cos I'm interested! ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Jan,
    I think of a sweater as a knit top, heavy or light, (cotton, orlon, wool, etc.) The styles of sweaters are cardigan (button up the front), v-neck, crew neck, turtle neck or, in the newest styles...sort of funky cowl neck...short or long! Then, again, there is sleeve length...3/4, full, short, sleeveless, etc ! Whew!!! For this trip I was suggesting a cardigan\type sweater with full length sleeves which can do triple duty for this type of trip...It can be worn alone, over a tee shirt, or dressier top. It allows one to layer under that ubiquitous "shell" for a welcomed layer of warmth!
    Joyce
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, Joyce.

I thought that you might be meaning a cardigan, given your fashion layering advice. But I didn't know that your cardigan was also considered a sweater. :)) We reserve the cardigan word for a front opening garment, with or without buttons or other fasteners. A cardigan can be short or long sleeved, V or round neck. As long as you put it on like a coat and not pull it over your head, it's a cardigan. We call the thing you pull over your head a jumper. But we also recognise that some people call them sweaters or jerseys. Cardigans and jumpers are usually made of wool, but often cotton or synthetics. It just depends on the climate. A jumper is never a cardigan, but a cardigan can prevent to be a jumper if you do all the buttons up. Travellers often do this. And all these garments are tops. But not shells. ;)

Aren't words interesting!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    And Jan,
    To continue our play with words...When I was in elementary school a jumper was a one-piece dress-type thing worn over a jersey or sweater. It was wool or courduroy, worn with knee socks and plenty ugly!! Oh the other hand, to my husband, jumpers are cables he uses when the car battery goes dead!!! Oh, my!! Poor Susan's head is no doubt spinning as we have traveled far from her original question about a jacket!! Fear not, Susan, whether it's a jacket, shell, cardigan, sweater or jersey, you are absolutely going to love this trip!! The scenery is beautiful and the people you meet are wonderful! And, they have a fabulous sense of humor, as you can tell from Jan's replies!!
  • Options
    Hi Joyce,

Your jumper = my pinafore.
    DH's jumpers = my jumper leads
    Your humour = my humour

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    The bottom line is: if what you have doesn't seem to be appropriate (read--style, weight, color, sleeve length, material, etc.). You can always go buy something else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file