Galapagos Movie

Travelers to Galapagos may be interested in a new feature length documentary movie about the first European settlers on Floreana, the movie is released on April 14th 2014 and is titled The Galapagos Affair, Satan Came to Eden, and is voiced by Cate Blanchett and Diane Kruger amongst others. When I visited the Galapagos with Tauck a few years ago, we learned about these people and saw some archive film footage on the boat. When I returned to the US I bought several fascinating books about them all, the mysterious baroness, the disappearance, the murder, yes fascinating!
Tip, if you see these books for sale t the airport on Baltra, buy them there, they were much cheaper than on Amazon.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Thank you for posting this, British. I have the two fairly recent documentaries on the Galapagos and this new one will add to my Library.

For my book buying tip … I invariably find the best prices on The Book Depository. International postage on Amazon makes them my very last resort.

Cheers,

Jan
  • This afternoon, we finally managed to see this documentary film, we found it on instant view on Netflix. It is full of incredible archive footage, present film and interviews with the ancestors of the original inhabitants of Floreana in the 1930's. For anyone who is interested in the human history of the area rather than just the animals, I recommend a viewing perhaps after you have been on the tour.
    And Jan, I did use Book Depository a few months ago for a book that was really expensive on Amazion and found it a very good service, thanks for the tip
  • edited October 2014
    I still haven't seen this, British. I might see if I can get it via the Book Depository. I think they do DVDs. But about the film…. I wonder if some of the archival footage is from a film they showed us on the Isabella when I did the tip in 2008. Naturally I can't remember the details. I do remember it as being somehow tragic for the humans involved. I know life for the locals on Santa Cruz even today is not the easiest. I'm just glad they managed to get rid of the pirates, privateers and tortoise eaters. Gosh, I'd go back to the Galapagos in a trice given half a chance. The place is magic!

Cheers,

Jan

edit: It's not listed with the Book Depository (I don't think they do DVDs at all!), but I've found it listed with a local retailer, so I'll add it to the To Do list! Thanks for the reminder. J
  • Yes, some film is the same as shown on Isabella

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file