June 16, 2014 Castles and Kings

I will be travelling with my 10 year old granddaughter on the Castles and Kings tour starting Monday, June 16th. We would like to know if there are any other girls her age on the tour and would they like to communicate with her before the trip? We will be arriving a day early and I am making plans to attend the high tea at the hotel (Hyatt Regency) that Sunday. Does anyone know if there is a dress code? Also, has anyone had any problems travelling as a non-parent with a minor in either England or France? I have written to both embassies but have not heard anything back from them.

Comments

• I am now a US citizen, but spent 43 years as a British citizen and never had High Tea until I went back to England as a tourist. It is definitely a touristy thing to do and I would say at the Hyatt, not sure where that is, but I would go in my tourist clothing. If you want a more special High Tea, then go somewhere like the Savoy or the Ritz where you could dress up more but I am sure they will take your money whatever you are wearing. It is a lovely thing to do and the food is yummy!
    If you are arriving just one day before the tour, do not underestimate how jet lagged you may feel having missed out a night's sleep on the journey over from the US. It can take about 3 days for your body clock to switch over. June is a lovely month to visit both countries, the long daylight in the evenings is a bonus and the gardens are at their best. Have a great time
  • I assume that you are travelling from the US. If so, you should have authorizations from both parents to take your granddaughter out of the country and to travel to Europe.

From about.com:

What else do we need if traveling abroad?

Some travel authorities suggest that you obtain a limited power of attorney if traveling abroad with grandchildren. At least you should have documentation showing that you are traveling with your grandchildren with parental permission. There is no single standardized form for this purpose, but it's easy to create your own form. Have the form notarized. If a grandchild's parents are divorced, it is especially important that documents are signed by both parents, as sometimes children are transported across borders during custody disputes.

In addition you should have a medical authorization from the custodial parent so that you can allow medical treatment should that be necessary.

These may never be needed, but we now live in a strange world in which children are particularly at risk and the authorities are trying to be extra vigilant.

This sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time.
  • Thank you for the info. I already have durable power of attorney for all my grandchildren but I will get a notarized authorization for the trip from both parents also. This has been very helpful.
  • We did the high tea at the Royal Horseguards and it was really nice with some great food. The castles and kings was a great trip. We particularly loved Paris

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file