Options

South Africa Elegant Adventure

Leaving on the Dec. 18th. trip. Live in Houston, TX. Love to hear from anyone else going. Also, would love any packing tips.

Comments

• Options
    We did this trip a few years ago, and had a wonderful time and experience. We travelled in September which is their fall, so it happened not to be as hot. So, suggest lots of sun screen to have available, and good had. We had Tilleys to take with us, but you still need sun screen. For clothing, we took zip-off pants for the game drives, and very light weight long sleeve shirts. We had tan or light brown colors, and you may find that typical of other guests, but other colors are just as good. Stay with light weight and light colors. For the cities, regular summer clothing will be fine. Long sleeve suggested due to the sunshine. Even a small portable umbrella would be useful. On the game drives and in the game lodges, we used tennis shoes which we found fine for the areas we were in. You ride around in the vehicles and only get out once in a safe location. Also, bring one set of swim wear. You may appreciate. And, a lightweight rain jacket for Victoria Falls would be highly suggested. Also, the first chance you get at the first hotel, grab a shower cap to protect you cameras.

If you enjoy wildlife and learning about how other peoples in the world live, you will love this tour because of the contrasts you will experience. Happy Travels!!
  • Options
    Randall and Donna are right on with their advice. I couldn't have said it better. I took this trip 3 months ago and totally enjoyed it - perfect combination of culture and safari. I'm sure you will love it as much as I did. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    We did this trip a few years ago, and had a wonderful time and experience. We travelled in September which is their fall, so it happened not to be as hot. So, suggest lots of sun screen to have available, and good had. We had Tilleys to take with us, but you still need sun screen. Also, the first chance you get at the first hotel, grab a shower cap to protect you cameras.
    Happy Travels!!

I'm wondering exactly which Tilley hat you liked. I know it needs to have a tie under the chin, but what material, how much brim, should there be air holes?
  • Options
    My husband and I both got the Tilley LT5B, which was perfect for Africa. We got them at Hollandhats.com -- best prices and free shipping.