Options

malaria - really?

Is malaria a real risk on this trip? If so, which is preferred, shots or pills?

Anyone going on South Africa Elegant on Jan 24, 2014?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Liz...Yes, malaria is a very real risk in Africa. There is no approved vaccine as yet. There is a great deal of research going on and several vaccines are being tested in Africa. The death toll is uncertain but is estimated at between 600,000 and 800,000 per year. If one lives in a malarial area, it is possible to develop a partial immunity. However, that statement does not apply to two categories which account for most of the malarial deaths: young children who have yet to develop immunity, and, non-immune travelers from areas (like the U.S.) where malaria does not exist. You fall into that latter category.

There are also several different types of malarial infection. We call our doctor and tell her where we are going on our next trip. She then checks with the CDC to see which anti-malaria medication is appropriate for that area and writes a prescription for us. On our last three safaris, we were given Malarone.

You might also wish to take some DEET wipes with you to discourage the mosquitos. I will say this...we have had few insect problems (other than the occasional tsetse fly) during the dry seasons. That statement applies to our trips in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Tanzania.

I'm not a doctor but my wife and I both decided the risk of malaria was too real to ignore. We take our medication on every trip. Travel well....

Leo M
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi Liz,

As Leo discusses, there are many different options available for malaria.

Some of the countries visited on this itinerary may require travelers to provide proof of vaccination against certain diseases in order to enter the country. These requirements are subject to frequent change as outbreaks occur and subside in different areas.
    For your reference, I've included links to the CDC pages for travelers going to Zimbabwe and South Africa, the two destinations on the main South Africa trip. Similar information can also be found on the World Health Organization (WHO)'s website. It may also be a good idea to visit the web sites for the embassies of South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Any decisions relating to your health, of course, should not be based solely on information provided by a web site. It is critically important that you consult with your personal physician prior to your journey to obtain any required vaccinations and to review any optional recommendations offered by the CDC or other sources -- not least because many of the available vaccines and medications are only available by prescription.

Lastly, please be sure to discuss your journey with your physician at least four to six weeks in advance of your departure, as certain vaccinations take time to become fully effective. Also, be certain to ask your physician for proof of any vaccinations you receive, and to pack this proof along with your other travel documents in your carry-on luggage (not in your checked luggage).

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Tim
  • Options
    I would suggest STRONGLY that you make a visit to an Infectious Disease Doctor or a Travel Clinic found usually in a hospital setting. They will have the latest medicines and guidelines on prevention. It is a horrible disease that can lead to death or life long problems. Take this disease very seriously and never miss a dose of medicine as well as taking precautions while traveling. We are very lucky in the western hemisphere going without such problems mostly.
This discussion has been closed.