Options

Will Tauck provide walkers for passengers?

We are preparing for the Blue Danube trip in June 2014 and know there is a great deal of walking, much on uneven terrain. I have difficult walking more than a few minutes without sitting or something to lean on. I believe a "walker" would help me and have used one at home sometimes. Especially useful if the walker has a built in seat.

While I probably could bring one with me on the plane, it would really be more helpful if Tauck could provide one on the boat, perhaps with a rental fee if necessary.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    If you have difficulty walking, I would suggest that this is not the trip for you. There is considerable walking over uneven terrain, every day. Many steps on many days.

Whilst not impossible to take the daily tours if you have walking limitations, you should not assume that your walker will be feasible at every location. Europe, especially many of the older, smaller destinations, do not adhere to the US ADA conventions. Typically, a walker will not be able to "roll" along the cobbled streets but would have to picked up and manually carried.

Also, be aware that the elevator on the riverboat does NOT go to all levels, so you would have to climb and descend the stair rails to avail yourself of the sundeck for example.

Please read the description of the Health Need to Know section on the website. This is very informative.

The Tauck tour guides try to be as accommodative as they can be, but there is a schedule to maintain and you would be one person out of 120 guests on the tour. They cannot provide individual assistance at all locations.

I have seen people using walking sticks on river cruises, but I have not seen walkers.
  • Options
    This is Stbarthfan, I agree with Cruzing23, this is not a good choice for this person. As a veteran of 1 riverboat cruise on Rhone in '12, I did see a few people who had some difficulty with walking & thought then that not best choice of trip for them. Next year April 2014 the Seine has beckoned us. Part of the riverboat cruising experience is being able to walk from/to the villages that are near the boat. And there are some stairs to navigate on the boat.
  • Options
    HJS...Your courage in embarking on this tour when you have difficulty walking "more than a few minutes" is commendable. It may also be ill advised. I have had personal experience in similar circumstances.

Ordinarily, I can walk 2 miles on the treadmill in under 30 minutes. I assumed that ability would stand me in good stead on our tour of Italy. What I failed to realize is exactly what Cruzing23 just mentioned to you. Throughout Europe, many of the most popular tourist sites are reached by walking through narrow streets (more like alleys) that are paved with uneven, often slippery, age rounded stones.

I had minor surgery involving my left leg before our trip. I spent six weeks prior to departure rehabilitating the leg. I felt great. One day walking the streets of Assisi changed that. I could not keep up with my tour group. My tour mates were constantly required to wait for me. The streets were so narrow they could not reach me with the bus and I could not move faster. These kind people never made me feel I was a burden but I was. I was ruining their trip and I was also in agony. Never again!

Possibly Tauck could suggest a trip involving less walking that you would enjoy more. It would be worth asking. Good luck.

Leo M
  • Options
    Leo M's suggestion is an excellent one. Although there are tours (not Tauck) that are tailored for mobility challenged guests, it would be great if Tauck did the same. Possible it could be done on a limited basis as a trial similar to when they started the Bridges tours. I would think that this type of tour would be well accepted as those of us who love Tauck see our capabilities limited.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses. We will look for something else that won't be so taxing to us and to others.
  • Options
    This is under the Blue Danube trip----

While a cruise on the Danube is very relaxing and the pace leisurely, to enjoy this cruise, you should be in good health and able to walk reasonable distances, often over unpaved and uneven surfaces. Some of the most memorable sightseeing can only be accomplished on foot. There is a moderate to significant amount of walking during our excursions, often along cobblestone streets, and at many sites there are multiple stairs or steps; for the most part, however, the amount of walking you do is at your discretion.

Your riverboat has four decks: Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, and Sun. The elevator runs between the Diamond Deck and Dining room only. There is no chair lift between any of the decks.

Because you will be cruising on a river and not on the open sea, you are never far from land and, therefore, there is no doctor on board. In case of emergency we can easily dock the boat and call for an ambulance or medical assistance.

PLEASE NOTE: We regret that this Tauck itinerary cannot accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters. Likewise, we regret that we’re unable to provide individual assistance to guests with walking difficulties or other personal needs. The responsibility of the Tauck Director who accompanies your trip is to ensure that the larger group enjoys a relaxing and informative journey, and he or she cannot be relied upon to provide ongoing individual assistance to any one guest. Guests requiring such individualized assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion who can provide it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi HJS,

You've had some good feedback on this and the other thread, but I just wanted to mention something else. While I'm not qualified to comment on your mobility issues as you describe them, I just wanted to add a little bit of positive thought to the conversation.

Quite a bit of the sightseeing off-boat is accomplished by tour bus. Sometimes, the Tauck side trips are some way from the mooring site. I took the Swiss Jewel from Amsterdam to Bucharest a couple of years ago and there were some people, it did vary day to day, who chose to stay on board rather than take the walking or bus excursion. I think some of those who did stay on board, took their own little excursions closer to home. Sometimes, while the travellers were away, the boat sailed to a new location to meet the others after their bus excursion. You didn't need to miss out on everything!

Only you know your limitations and sometimes that's really the point … to know them and work with them. I have recently been on trips where one couple travelled with a lightweight wheelchair and on another a gentleman had one of those walking sticks with a little fold down seat …. of the "shooting stick" variety. The lady with the wheelchair didn't always use it, but it was her security blanket. ;)I really encourage to speak directly to Tauck. They will give you fair and honest advice. I just don't want you to give up without discovering your real possibilities.

Cheers,

Jan

Note: cross posted
This discussion has been closed.