Options

Temperatures in September South African Safaris

Could someone whose been on safari this past September comment on AM and PM Temps and the best way to dress for the early morning jeep drives?
Thanks,
tiredoc

Comments

• Options
    A light weight fleece was sufficient over a long sleeved safari shirt and a t shirt. I had packed gloves and hats for the balloon ride, but they weren't really necessary. I was surprised at how warm it was most of the time. I was glad that I had packed t shirts at the last moment.
  • Options
    On the game drives in South Africa, we also had blankets in each of the vehicles to use as needed. The morning game drives are a little cool or chilly to start with, even in September, but then warm up quite a bit by the end of the morning game drive. So we also recommend layering, and use the blankets on the drive out. The reverse is true on the evening game drives. It starts out warm and we packed small backpacks with some light weight fleece and hats and used the blankets to augment what we had. It worked really well. Also recommend zip-off pants.
  • Options
    We were in Southern Africa from mid-June to mid-July this year. These are the two coldest months throughout the region. It is also very dry. The temperature began to drop as soon as the sun went down. The overnight temperature was in the low 40s. We took several night game drives and the air was so cold (in the open vehicle) that our eyes watered almost constantly. The same applied to the first game drive of the morning. By 10A.M., it was warm enough for shirt sleeves.

September and October in the region are the end of the long dry season. It is super dry, especially in October, and very H-O-T. Animals begin to congregate around the few remaining sources of water. Many animals survive on the water that seeps into holes dug by elephants in otherwise dry river beds. Although uncomfortably hot from Noon until sundown the animal viewing is at its best. Not only do the animals gather near the few remaining water sources, there is little grass or foliage that has not died from heat and lack of water. There is little place to hide so the views are incredible.

Leo M
This discussion has been closed.