Options

Inadequate Luggage Limits

Has anyone else found out too late about Tauck’s inadequate luggage limits? I can only guess that this is because Tauck uses small commuter planes and cram their charter buses full.
We just found out how limited we are when we received out travel documents this week. The airline will allow us to bring enough luggage for the 3 week trip, but because of Tauck’s limitations, it seems we will be busy doing laundry and ironing instead of enjoying the trip.
We would cancel (losing only our trip insurance), but our extremely expensive (business class) airfare is non-refundable, so at this point we feel compelled to go whether we want to or not. This was supposed to be a top of the line tour, not a camping expedition.
Our trip is still two and a half months away, and we are thoroughly annoyed before we even leave the house. I can hardly wait to see what Tauck’s next surprise will be.
I should note that I am referring to one of the Australian / New Zealand tours in January 2014.

Comments

• Options
    I went on this trip and took enough clothes for a little over a week. There is laundry very near hotel in Sydney that is very reasonable to do a wash. You drop it off in morning and pick it up when get back to hotel that same day. I took shirts that would not need ironing and could wash out by hand easily. In New Zealand there are several hotels that have washer/dryers if you need to do anymore laundry yourself. As far as they tell you on your carry on there was no issue taking what is allowed on your flight from the us. We had 28 and 29 on each tour and that was considered a full tour. The TD told us the reservation system can not tell who is not taking both tours or one or the other and locks the tour. Any who took the carry on was able to put them below on the charter. Only issue was making sure you had proper size and weight on the flights in Australia because that is domestic which only allows 50lbs on check-ins. I was worried and took a backpack for my carry on instead of my larger rolling back pack and was sorry I did.

Don't worry. And don't over pack. No need to pack enough for all 3 weeks. Plenty of time to wash things out. And look to take what does not require ironing.
  • Options
    I am not familiar with this Tauck trip but my experience is that weight restrictions are imposed by the airlines (and Tauck uses the best). I did a trip to Africa with Tauck last year and despaired over the 44 pound luggage limit; I wish it had been less because it would have forced me to travel lighter. Tauck trips are usually casual and with each I am learning to be a much better packer. Please do not let this affect the excitement surrounding your trip - just take the minimum and you will be glad you did.
  • Options
    Dissatisfied...I'm glad there are considerations in place that have influenced you not to cancel your safari. I say that only because the conclusion you have reached is incorrect. Tauck's selection of hotels, in-country air transportation and safari vehicles for our safari was top notch.

Tauck does not set either the International or the in-country aircraft luggage weight limits so it is unfair to blame them. The International baggage limits are always greater. In-country aircraft in Africa are typically smaller, prop driven and frequently must use primitive landing strips. We recently completed a three week safari in Southern Africa where the in-country luggage weight limit was only 33 lbs. and the use of soft sided duffels was mandatory.

During our safari, all our Tauck safari vehicles were under two years old, clean and comfortable. We were not packed in; each of us had a window seat. There was plenty of room for what we were there to do - to view the world famous wildlife. We needed tough 4WD safari vehicles capable of operating in very difficult terrain. Despite new tires, we actually had two flat tires in one day going from Ngorongoro Crater to the Serengeti.

Every hotel and camp on Tauck's itinerary offered laundry services at ridiculously affordable prices. I assure you that you will not spend your trip washing clothes. Moreover, if you fret over ironing your clothes you will be the only one doing so. In January, we start on our fourth safari. We have learned: don't wear dark colors (they draw tsetse flies); no one takes a hair dryer (it's useless); and no one ever irons their safari clothes. Safaris are blissfully relaxed and casual.

I am a person who has traveled with Tauck. I have no vested interest in the company. I return to the Tauck Forum in hopes of helping others with their Africa questions. In the last two years, we have also traveled with four other world famous tour companies. I do not return to their websites because none of them took care of us with the same personal and professional concern that Tauck exhibited.

Give Tauck a fair chance. They will not disappoint but, remember, you are going on safari and not a museum tour. Have a wonderful time...Leo M
  • Options
    I agree I have becoming a much better packer over the years. I watched Rick Steve's video on packing this year and went for 2 1/2 week trip to Italy with 21 in expandable suitcase at 32 lbs when I left and a rolling backpack for carry on and with washing shirts and underwear by hand every few nights I found there were a few things I could have left home and did not miss anything left at home.

Just remember know one would question if you wore the same thing everyday if you wanted to. You don't need a change of clothes for everyday.
  • Options
    I am sorry to read that you are so upset and negative about your trip before it even begins. I can assure you that this is a wonderful trip, and the surprises that Tauck provides as the trip progresses will please you. I am not sure what part of the luggage restriction upsets you...weight or number of bags. They don't have a lot of control over weight as there are restrictions on domestic flights. Their private planes are very nice, but overweight luggage could be problematic. When we did this trip we extended our trip to Fiji and were gone a month. We did meet weight restrictions but did each carry an extra 17 inch tote bag (we each use a 25-inch bag) which we checked whenever we could. No problem.
    I hear you when you say you don't want to be bothered by doing laundry. You can make it without laundering (maybe some hand washes of delicates), but you have to be a pretty precise and unemotional packer. By unemotional, I mean carefully planning outfits and not throwing in your favorites without regard as to outfits and including things that can do double duty. We have just completed our 12th Tauck trip, and most of the recent ones have been the more exotic ones that do have luggage restrictions. Trust me, it can be done without compromising your comfort and/or style, or having to do a lot of laundry (except maybe in Africa where the dust could be so thick, laundry was a must) .
    I don't know how you chose this trip or what kind of research you did prior to booking it. The "Need to Know" section of the website will give the luggage restrictions, visa requirements, etc. , so I am a bit surprised that you were caught off guard by the luggage requirement. Obviously, there is a reason you chose this trip, and, hopefully, that will transcend the luggage issue. Sunset at Ayres Rock...a beautiful seafood dinner on the Quay before going to the opera in Sydney....walking along the river trails in Melbourne...snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef...cruising Milford Sound...and, best of all, Australians actually like Americans and are so friendly and welcoming!!! Wonderful adventures await you!
  • Options
    This is directed to the first commentary...the art of traveling is to travel light. You don't need a lot of clothes. Simplicity rules. Please don't cop a negative attitude with respect to Tauck's restriction. I always travel with one small roll on bag that I check, a small backpack that I pack within, and a small carry on with wheels. It doesn't matter the length of the trip; I always use the same luggage combination. I've traveled the world since the seventies and consider myself to be an expert. You can shop at Travelsmith, or any comparable clothes outlet. At night, I wash clothes in the bathroom sink and use the bath foam products each hotel provides. The clothes dry by morning. No need to take a lot of stuff you won't need. Another tip is to take old clothes and discard along the way, thus, freeing up luggage space for small souvenir purchases. Books, once finished, are left behind in whatever country I happen to be in for someone lucky enough to find a book in English they can read. To travel is to experience the wonders of each country, whether that is the art, history, or the natural beauty within. Please don't get hung up on trivial concerns. Tauck is an excellent tour operator bar none. Experience the magic!
  • Options
    First I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post for being so encouraging and helpful. You all said many good things about Tauck that were reassuring to hear (not so much about the laundry).
    Unfortunately, we did not use Tauck's website when we selected our trip; we relied on information from brochures and a travel agent to make our choice. Neither of which specified anything about luggage size/weight limitations; instead we were told to check with our airline, which we did and found that we were each allowed 3 pieces at a maximum weight of 70 pounds each (business class American/Qantas). We had no intention of using all that capacity, but we at least felt we could pack what we needed without any issue. This information also led to the purchase of several hundred dollars worth of luggage, none of which can be used for this trip.
    So this week we received our travel documents/book from Tauck; I'll spare you my reaction as that language is not suitable for this forum. The point I'm trying to make and the reason for my anger is that I feel this information should be conveyed up front, before you have paid for the trip and the airfare.
    I freely admit that I am no longer a world traveler like a lot of you folks. Travel now is usually quite uncomfortable for me (and I do not find idea of dealing with TSA or the airlines appealing), but my wife and I are retired and we were looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip, which we were really hoping to enjoy.
    Once again, thank you for all your input; who knows, after the trip I may have a whole new outlook on the experience.
  • Options
    I have to ask what kind of luggage you bought that can not be used. You should each do 25in with no more than 50lbs each with carryon each. That should be more than adequate for this trip with some minor washing out by hand and laundry once or twice. The laundry in Sydney washes dries and folds No work for but drop off and pick up. Trust me no need to stress and over pack just cause the tour is 3 weeks. I took this last year was a wonderful tour and the charter plane in NZ with no worry of weight to be careful of. The flights in Australia are quants domestic and as with all domestic flights you are limited.
  • Options
    Wow! Fifty pounds!! When we went, about six years ago, the restriction was forty-something (two or five...can't remember)! I understand Dissatisfied's predicament...one becomes conscious of limitations and it almost seems overwhelming! I remember actually weighing shoes on my digital kitchen scale, deciding which pair weighed the least!! I am past all of that now and do quite well with weight limits, but it does take some practice, experimentation and sacrifice!!
    I, too, hate the laundry issue. When we went, sometimes the self-laundries (some places have since changed) were crowded and laundry became a chore. Again, I have since changed my travel wardrobe a bit to account for this problem. However, I am vain enough not to want to sacrifice style. But, Dissatisfied, fear not...it can be done! You have a few months to plan carefully, and just remember that this is a wonderful trip!!
  • Options
    Wow, dissatified! Each of you needs only one 25/26 inch suitcase at most, with a carryon for your personal necessities. You should be able to pack more than enough in those two suitcasesf or your needs during this trip. As stated by those before me, pack light and bring practical items that can be worn more than once, mixed and matched and possibly laundered at the hotel or rinsed out. It is never necessary to bring a change of clothes for every single day and night. To even dream of bringing three suitcases each that weigh 70 pounds each just because the international airline allows you to do so, would be way over the top. How would you fit all that luggage in your hotel room? There won't be any room left for you! The flights that you take in Australia would not allow you to have so much luggage. I have been on 13 Tauck trips all over the world and have never needed more than one suitcase. Their tours are top of the line and you will not be crammed into buses or loaded onto small comuter planes. Don't even consider canceling because of this issue. Enjoy your trip to Australia and New Zealand - it will be an amazing adventure!
  • Options
    The regular crew (hi, ladies & gents!) have given you some wonderful advice. As a Melbourne girl I haven't actually takes this trip! I have taken 18 other Tauck trips, though. But, I can sympathise with your predicament.

My late father used to despair with my penchant for luggage. "Oh, Janice! Not another suitcase!" Even in my extreme youth when I was still living at home, I was travelling somewhere and needed the right portmanteau for the job! I have cases I use for domestic travel. I have luggage I would't dream of submitting to the rough talents of US baggage handlers. I have pieces I only use for road trips. And I observe that in the US people lug "battleships" onto the plane rather than check them. I can't work out why they do that… Some people love shoes. Some love luggage. I love both, so I try to corral them into categories of "domestic use" and " international use". Horses for courses is my rule.

Packing for a long trip takes a bit of work. I don't think 3 weeks is a long trip … it's only a tiddler. However, I do agree it takes more trouble to pack for 1 week than for 3 days. For such a short time you don't have time to recycle you clothes. A carefully selected wardrobe for 1 week will work for 3, too. The trouble comes if your are crossing extreme climates. For regular climates you just have to layer. Another on, another off! What you need to do is have a couple of fashion parades … and I really mean getting out what you think you want to take and trying it all on. The rule is that every piece has to go with at least 2 other garments. If not, eliminate! Do this early so you have time to buy anything you really need. Stick to one colour palette if you can, with just a few pieces that will go over everything else. Then about a week before you are finally ready to pack, repeat the exercise. You will be amazed at what you can add to the discard pile! The most important rule is that you don't take anything that you can't wash and iron yourself, with the only exception being outer garments & perhaps one "special" outfit. Generally this doesn't concern the men! I have to confess that I am not a light packer. :(( My only excuse is that I travel for about 6 weeks at a time, often take consecutive trips to different climatic regions and I know I'll often be in odd locations where I will not be able to replenish emergency items. So I take supplies with me only to discard any leftovers the night before I fly home. Packing light is a real art. I am still learning and getting better. Thank you for the tips, ladies!

I know mis-communication can be frustrating and I am very proud of you for your verbal restraint. ;) Perhaps a rest in a favourite chair with a favourite beverage at your elbow and your favourite girl by your side might go a little way to restoring your chill factor. And then when you are comfy, you can contemplate the wonderful journey that lies ahead.

Then after you have returned home having had a marvellous time, why not consider dealing directly with Tauck for your next trip? I can just "hear" the conversation with your travel agent when you booked this trip. Platitudes are fine but when you get down to the wire … there can be tears before bedtime. (I know … dreadful use of the metaphor as a literary tool!) Next time you will have your own expectations and resulting queries and you can ask them directly. Skip the travel agent spin and get the answers you need when you need them.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Well said, Jan! Packing is an art that I'm constantly refining. I stopped using travel agents many years ago. When you discover that you know more than the professional agent, it's time to call it quits. I only deal directly with Tauck, and their customer service department always answers every question I pose, and they address all my concerns without hesitation. No problem there. I've only taken four trips with them, but the older I get, I'd rather leave all the logistics to them as they do a superb job. You will have a great time on your trip. Enjoy, and let us all know how you fared.
  • Options
    I am now packing for my 17th trip with Tauck (India & Nepal), where I will confront one internal flight with a 44-lb checked bag limit and another internal flight with a 33-lb limit. I know that that Tauck could have designed this trip so as to avoid these flights (eg, stay at ground level), but the trip would not have been nearly so appealing. I wash my own underwear along the way and am not judgemental about fellow travels who wear the same shirt twice and just focus on having a good time. The result is that I have great time.
  • Options
    I,am also packing for the India/Nepal trip. Where is the 33 lb limit? I know we have 44 for the trip, but must pack a Tauck travel bag for Nepal. They say any amount of items but must if into the bag.
    Please advise.
  • Options
    We went on a January 2013 Australia/New Zealand and everything was really magnificent, even with a bit of inclement weather. No one in our group every complained of crowded coaches (full size luxury) or the the charter planes which were more than adequate. There was no problem with luggage and only one person bought a slightly smaller carry on for their convenience. We did wash underwear along the way. (Get 2-3 pair of Ex Officio.) We also had some laundry done at the Intercontinental in Sydney. If you can't afford hotel laundry or cleaning, then perhaps you can't afford a higher end trip such as this. Come on, loosen up and enjoy what is really a marvelous adventure.
  • Options
    I,am also packing for the India/Nepal trip. Where is the 33 lb limit? I know we have 44 for the trip, but must pack a Tauck travel bag for Nepal. They say any amount of items but must if into the bag.
    Please advise.

Robert - I'm not sure where I saw the 33-lb guidance (perhaps on a forum). I haven't paid close attention to it since volume, not weight, seemed to be the stricter limitation. Which tour are you on? I am on the Nov. 11 departure. Perhaps I will see you there. Nick
  • Options
    Nick
    We are on the nov 16th trip. Agree on the weight. We went to antartica and it is only 40 lbs. and they weighed it
    Bob
  • Options
    Having taken many Tauck trips I can see your worries, DON'T. In Florence I found a Laundromat two blocks from the hotel, was short change, people gave me the change, took me for a glass of wine and I came back and someone had folded my laundry. In San Sabastian I never would have found the market underground if I didn't need some laundry. The Chinese laundries are legendary and Vietnam likewise. In Africa the camps do the washing. Enjoy and explore.
  • Options
    We have been on the Australia part of this trip and about 12 other Tauck trips including two African ones. Never ever found the luggage restriction a problem and also have only had laundry done in Africa. A little hand washing only but not because we would necessarily run out of clothes. Generally we don't need to do any laundry. Unless you are an unfortunate couple who get stinky really quickly, with at least one shower a day I really do not understand your problem.
    We carefully pack, wear clothes more than once and chose lightweight travel clothing. No need to be concerned about your clothing unless it is related to what is suitable for the terrain or weather. I certainly would not be looking at what you were wearing, I'd be looking at the colors of Uluru or the Sydney Opera House.
    Travel agents---we often here others complaining about things the TRAVEL AGENTS fail to tell their customers. We have always booked with Tauck directly. You will find all information on their website if you look at it properly. Reconsider any travel at all if all you care about is how you look.
  • Options
    Robert - I'm not sure where I saw the 33-lb guidance (perhaps on a forum). I haven't paid close attention to it since volume, not weight, seemed to be the stricter limitation. Which tour are you on? I am on the Nov. 11 departure. Perhaps I will see you there. Nick

The 33 lb limit is for the internal flights which have a 15 kg limit. 15 kg is approximately 33 lbs.
  • Options
    In practice it is not that restrictive. Just be reasonable. I ended up with an extra bag because my luggage took a 5 day vacation at JFK before Delta sent it on, and I had to buy some clothes. It was no problem.
This discussion has been closed.