Rhine and Moselle

We are booked on the June 11, trip from Amsterdam to Basel. We are planning to arrive in Amsterdam two days early and would appreciate any advice on sites to see.
Would like to communicate with other people on this trip - we live in the Midwest.

Comments

• We have just returned from this delightful cruise, leaving from Basel and finishing in Amsterdam on 10 October. You will love it.
    We had a wonderful time and the staff are marvelous. Amsterdam is a great place to wander and wander lots (dodging bicycles of course!). The Anne Frank museum is a must. Tauck do the canal boat tour and the Rembrandt part of the Rijks museum. You can spend so much more than 90 minutes in this fabulous spot, so a journey back if that is what interests you, would be a must. Enjoy
  • You should also take a nighttime canal tour. They're inexpensive unless you include a meal. Amsterdam is beautiful at night, and you get a whole different perspective from the daytime tour. You should also visit the Van Gogh Museum. For dinner one night, dine at an Indonesian Rice Table restaurant. Your concierge can recommend a good one.
  • My wife and I will also be arriving a couple of days early for the June 11 cruise. We plan to see the Anne Frank House, the Van Gogh Museum, and spend some time walking and photographing, particularly in the Jordan district, and around the Old Church. The night canal tour looks like a great idea as well. We would be happy to get together with others who are there early.
  • We're considering this trip for October 25th departure - anyone else been at that time of year? Hoping it's not too cold, but it's all that's left for rivercruising this year and the area interests us.

We'd stay on in Amsterdam several days to really see it well. Any thoughts welcomed!
  • I did this trip in May and was great. I did Danube end of. Aug and was much cooler than I expected. That is a problem with riverboat cruises very popular and fill up fast. Can chck the tour sight and will give you average temp.
  • We're considering this trip for October 25th departure - anyone else been at that time of year? Hoping it's not too cold, but it's all that's left for rivercruising this year and the area interests us.

We'd stay on in Amsterdam several days to really see it well. Any thoughts welcomed!

If you go to Before You Go section of the tour page, there is a section on weather. Very few people seem to notice this feature of the Tauck tours. It gives temperatures and rainfall. for example it says that in October the temperatures for Amsterdam/Bonn are 58/59 degrees F I never book a vacation until I have done some research on weather, for example, for us, we chose to got Australia in their winter because we don't like the heat. For you, you might prefer it less crowded, or appreciate the fall colors, everyone is different, there is always something unique about whatever time of year you travel.
  • As British says, you may well appreciate the lack of crowds and the glories of European seasonal changes. The light will be different, giving you some wonderful highlights and stunning photo ops. Warm, comfortable shoes and the art of layering. And knowing Europeans, any opportunity for early Christmas cheer should make for an excellent adventure.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We are booked for the April 19 - May 2 cruise in 2015. Just wondering how chilly the weather will be at this time of year and suggestions on the type of clothes for both daytime and evening. Thanks.
  • I did this trip beginning of May a few years back and it was cool. Needed long pants and sweaters with jacket most of the time, but was lucky and sunny weather most days.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file